Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: JV Arrested for DUI

Post Thanks / Like

hey I say we give him a good boo tomorrow night in introductions and then let bygones be bygones

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    hey I say we give him a good boo tomorrow night in introductions and then let bygones be bygones
    No need to boo him especially b4 playoffs.

What happened, happened. He'll learn from this.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Seriously???
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

JV will play tomorrow.

Raptors Republic Rookie buckets's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Or they recognized him as a "celebrity". People are always more willing to drag down people. If they recognized him, or even if the car he was driving was really nice, then it's more likely to get reported. Does anyone know what he drives? I never worked at a fast food restaurant, but I'd definitely be more likely to call in on the guy driving a Rolls Royce than some dude in his K-car.
    Seen him in Toronto rolling around in a tricked out Mercedes Benz G-wagon, blasting pusha-t nonetheless hahah
    "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I disagree somewhat. I think if you are used to dealing with drunks all the time you are much more likely to let it slide. Otherwised you'd be on the phone non stop during the grave yard shift. Also, it's unlikely that it was a single employee making the call, it was likely made by the supervisor.

Again all speculation, but if I was used to dealing with drunks I'd be pretty tolerant of them. It would take a fair bit to push me to the point to make that call unless the guy was just so messed up you actually felt he was a danger to himself and others, or he was being abusive somehow.
    I was actually wondering what sort of policies a restaurant with a late-night drive through might have about this sort of situation, similar to bars being potentially on the hook for letting a patron drink and drive.

I also recall going to a summer wedding in Wasaga Beach back in the early 2000's and being told by the locals that the police in the area were super strict about drinking and driving, given their reputation as a beach/party town, which makes his decision even more stupid. I get having a beer going to get fast food, but to bring the booze in the car with you as you're driving is a whole other layer of dumb that's just asking for trouble.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 8th, 2014 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    This is what I was thinking as well. Drunks at that time of night and I suppose in certain areas are common. It takes a bit of excessive bad behaviour to get someone to call OPP.

Drunks? Sure.

Drunk drivers? Highly doubt it.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just found out about this. Very disappointing indeed. But guys c'mon, if you work at a drive thru and have ANY indication that a driver is/was drunk then you absolutely have a social responsibility to call the police. Thats it. No more to it. Christ, you can get charged for letting a friend drive home after drinking from your house party.

JV should be suspended immediately for no less than 5 games. The team should do this...now. Don't wait for the NBA to judge the situation. Don't wait for the justice system to figure it out. Be proactive, and send a message to fans and the public in general, this shit will not be tolerated by our employees.

The fact is, drinking and driving is almost socially acceptable in this country, and nobody really gives a fuck until something shitty happens. Preventative measures need to be taken, and that means punishing people more severely for breaking the law, even if they didn't hurt themselves or anyone else.

I still like JV, and I got his back, but he needs to be punished, and it needs to be now. Fucking Raptors need to step up to the plate and do something ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Just found out about this. Very disappointing indeed. But guys c'mon, if you work at a drive thru and have ANY indication that a driver is/was drunk then you absolutely have a social responsibility to call the police. Thats it. No more to it. Christ, you can get charged for letting a friend drive home after drinking from your house party.

JV should be suspended immediately for no less than 5 games. The team should do this...now. Don't wait for the NBA to judge the situation. Don't wait for the justice system to figure it out. Be proactive, and send a message to fans and the public in general, this shit will not be tolerated by our employees.

The fact is, drinking and driving is almost socially acceptable in this country, and nobody really gives a fuck until something shitty happens. Preventative measures need to be taken, and that means punishing people more severely for breaking the law, even if they didn't hurt themselves or anyone else.

I still like JV, and I got his back, but he needs to be punished, and it needs to be now. Fucking Raptors need to step up to the plate and do something ASAP.
    Why?

Suspending him won't change anything, what's done is done. If he has any brain in his head, and if the team has any sense of duty and responsibility, it should be almost guaranteed that nothing like this will ever happen again. Suspending him will be nothing more than a PR move to placate enraged media/fans, that will hurt the team on the court (how is that fair to the rest of the team?).

I'd much rather see the Raptors 'sentence' him to a significant increase in social outreach, where he can use his fame and popularity to influence others, especially high school & university kids. Turn a negative into a positive, to help prevent others from following down the same path of stupidity.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not less than 5 games? Only 2 other DUI's this year got 2 games each, so let's not over-react

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Why?

Suspending him won't change anything, what's done is done. If he has any brain in his head, and if the team has any sense of duty and responsibility, it should be almost guaranteed that nothing like this will ever happen again. Suspending him will be nothing more than a PR move to placate enraged media/fans, that will hurt the team on the court (how is that fair to the rest of the team?).

I'd much rather see the Raptors 'sentence' him to a significant increase in social outreach, where he can use his fame and popularity to influence others, especially high school & university kids. Turn a negative into a positive, to help prevent others from following down the same path of stupidity.
    I think the rest of the paragraph after that bold explains why.

Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the CBA prohibited team suspensions for DUI. It is a league matter. Team can bench him if they feel further punishment warranted.

Post Thanks / Like

Not less than 5 games? Only 2 other DUI's this year got 2 games each, so let's not over-react
    What difference does that make?

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What difference does that make?
    Well for one, he would appeal and win if you give him more than double the season precedence as a first time offender. Two, why single him out more than Jason Kidd (who got 2 games)?

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Kidd crashed a car into a pole and was belligerent with police and he got 2 games. Also he was 40 and had no excuse. JV is 21, young and dumb and hurt nobody, destroyed nothing and was rude to nobody. Context matters. If the team suspends him there are legal consequences to the team and the players union. This is a NBAPA drugs and alcohol matter...meaning the suspension needs to come from the league

Post Thanks / Like

Christ, DUI's are no big deal in Canada I guess...every day shit up here. Christ guys, this speaks to a larger issue, doesn't anyone see that?

Just because it's JV, and just becasue it's a Raptor, or just because it might affect the standings or our Atlantic division title, or it wouldn't be fair to his teammates, doesn't mean jack shit in the bigger picture of social responsibility.

If MLSE or the Raps can be proactive here (if they are allowed to as per 3inthekeon's post), then they should be. It could mean alot to changing people's perspectives on DUI's, because right now, it's almost like it's ok if you don't get caught or hurt somebody.

Post Thanks / Like

Well for one, he would appeal and win if you give him more than double the season precedence as a first time offender. Two, why single him out more than Jason Kidd (who got 2 games)?
    I don't care about jason kidd or the fucking precedent, or what happens in the States. I care about not sharing the fucking road with drunk drivers.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Christ, DUI's are no big deal in Canada I guess...every day shit up here. Christ guys, this speaks to a larger issue, doesn't anyone see that?

Just because it's JV, and just becasue it's a Raptor, or just because it might affect the standings or our Atlantic division title, or it wouldn't be fair to his teammates, doesn't mean jack shit in the bigger picture of social responsibility.

If MLSE or the Raps can be proactive here (if they are allowed to as per 3inthekeon's post), then they should be. It could mean alot to changing people's perspectives on DUI's, because right now, it's almost like it's ok if you don't get caught or hurt somebody.
    Well Jonas has the law to answer to. I just don't see why the team should go above and beyond.

Should we just fire him?

Like I understand drunk driving is a serious offense, but our society functions on a set of rules.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information