Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 421

Thread: JV Arrested for DUI

  1. #241
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bandit wrote: View Post
    The argument is flawed however, since it simply measures the only quantifiable aspect to determine how "drunk" someone is. A hardcore alcoholic would need to blow wayyyyyyy over .08 before they probably have a noticeable impact (like weaving through the road, uncontrolled etc). So tolerance and how you're body handles it is a major factor.

    I'm 6'6 and 230, and don't drink very often. If I'm working on the yard or something a half dozen beer and I could feel fine. Sometimes though I have 2 and you couldn't pay me enough money to get behind a wheel.

    Guess the point I'm making is this: For a big Lithuanian man like Jonas, who probably has some experience drinking, he was probably functioning quite well. I don't think he got behind the wheel thinking he was in any way dangering anyone. And if it weren't for the open beer bottles (Pure idiocy) he probably would've been fine. He admitted to the police he had some drinks and that's what's gonna be his problem.

    So yes he broke the law and in no way is that acceptable, but he didnt (based off of speculation) put anyone in danger the same way Kidd did, and that is huge. I'm thinking a good apology (from what I've read it sounds like he was sincere to his team), a nice donation of his time, and whatever the law decides. I don't think he deserves to be made an example of but should be treated like any hard working 21 year old who made a bad decision and was caught without any damage to anyone. People make mistakes, if you do it reasonably no one should get hurt
    The way breathalyzers work is they measure the percentage of alcohol in someone's blood.

    Generally bigger people have more blood/body fat, which is why more beers = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

    Generally alcoholics process alcohol faster, so again, more beer = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

    The breathalyzer is supposed to overcome the issue of different people consuming different amounts of alcohol leading to different drunkenness.

    The reason why the law is a hard scientific line as opposed to how sober someone acts is largely because when drunk, a person's judgement is impaired. They may think they're acting more sober than they really are (who hasn't felt this way?).

    Finally, most people who get behind the wheel drunk have no intention of injuring someone either. People most likely WERE in just as much danger as when Kidd drove, JV just didn't happen to hit anyone/anything.

    Having said all this, I'm a firm believer that all issues should be handled legally, and I'm not advocating for the franchise to impose any additional consequences above and beyond those stated in the CBA.
    Last edited by stooley; Tue Apr 8th, 2014 at 03:01 PM.

  2. #242
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I suppose the proper punishment is to bring him out before the crowd during half time tie ropes to his arm...stretch him, if he still wont kiss the kings emblem and declare himself a loyal subject, tie him down, disembowel and castrate him. If he still won't submit to our lords will, and cries out something stupid like "freeeeeeedddoooooooomm!"....well we can just cut off his head in front of his ghost of a wife and few loyal generals.
    A live execution would surly bring more ratings!

    But all seriousness I wouldn't suspend him. Every player should be treated differently based on his history on how he conducted himself and up to this point JV was a model citizen both on and off the court (also he was arrested and not convicted so he deserved his due process in court as well). I am sure if you tell him to do some volunteer work for MADD, he will bring more awareness to the issue and thus it will be a win-win situation for all.

  3. #243
    Raptors Republic All-Star consmap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Public statement from the man himself:

    "Hello, I am Jonas Valanciunas. I am Lithuanian centre for the Toronto Raptors. I would like to everyone to know that drinking and driving is never good things. That's why I take the bottle with me. That way I can drink as soon as I'm finish driving. I hope everyone can understand this. As the mayor say, "it's was just a drunken stupor!" I apologize once more times and I hope to help the Raptors to many wicktories in the playoffs."
    I laughed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #244
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    The way breathalyzers work is they measure the percentage of alcohol in someone's blood.

    Generally bigger people have more blood/body fat, which is why more beers = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

    Generally alcoholics process alcohol faster, so again, more beer = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

    The breathalyzer is supposed to overcome the issue of different people consuming different amounts of alcohol leading to different drunkenness.

    The reason why the law is a hard scientific line as opposed to how sober someone acts is largely because when drunk, a person's judgement is impaired. They may think they're acting more sober than they really are (who hasn't felt this way?).

    Finally, most people who get behind the wheel drunk have no intention of injuring someone either. People most likely WERE in just as much danger as when Kidd drove, JV just didn't happen to hit anyone/anything.

    Having said all this, I'm a firm believer that all issues should be handled legally, and I'm not advocating for the franchise to impose any additional consequences above and beyond those stated in the CBA.
    Yes size plays a role in it and I would agree that the effect would be = between people of all sizes who have the same %. Poor argument on my side there

    On the matter of alcoholics, I don't believe it is a matter of processing the alcohol so much as it is a matter of tolerance. I always think of a story my mom told me ( registered nurse ) about a man who walked himself into the ER because he had crushed his hand working on his car or something like that. He was completely coherent and was fully responsive but reeked of alcohol. They tested his blood and it turned out he was at .24 or something ridiculous, a number that if the average person were to reach would cause severe damage if not death.

    I agree with you that the law is a hard line simply to cover the base off of what should be reasonable for the least experienced 18 year old drinker. Anything beyond that point could be considered an issue for anyone and I think it's quite reasonable.

    Now as to someone being in as much danger between JV and Kidd I disagree. That largely depends on their brains ability to cope with the alcohol, and their blood percentage. .08 isn't a hard line that once you pass it doesn't get worse. The more you drink the worse your ability to manage a vehicle will get. Essentially I believe JV had more control over his vehicle than Kidd could've had, and in turn his brain.

    100% in agreement with "leave the law to the law"

  5. Like stooley liked this post
  6. #245
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just a question, if jonas is proven guilty in his court date in April. Will the nba suspend him for 2 playoff games. If so I think we might be fucked

  7. #246
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Just a question, if jonas is proven guilty in his court date in April. Will the nba suspend him for 2 playoff games. If so I think we might be fucked
    his court date in april isn't the trial. he doesn't even have to show up for that one, just send his lawyer.

    the real court date won't be for a year or so i'd bet.

  8. #247
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Just a question, if jonas is proven guilty in his court date in April. Will the nba suspend him for 2 playoff games. If so I think we might be fucked
    He can't be found guilty on 22nd April.

  9. #248
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    his court date in april isn't the trial. he doesn't even have to show up for that one, just send his lawyer.

    the real court date won't be for a year or so i'd bet.
    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    He can't be found guilty on 22nd April.
    Still though, there has to be concern if the team is on the playoff path again next year.

  10. #249
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Next time Rob Ford and I wanna go on a crack binge in Willowridge, we're calling JV to be our driver. We don't need to take that chance anymore...

  11. #250
    Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Val can also plead guilty to something that won't affect the Raptors other than the 2 game suspension.

  12. #251
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    He can't be found guilty on 22nd April.
    Damn Canadian law fucks with my head sometimes

  13. #252
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Its easy to understand why he was drinking
    With Dwane Casey's inconsistent rotations and pulling you out of the game when you are killing it, you would drink too

  14. #253
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by rocwell; Tue Apr 8th, 2014 at 04:45 PM.

  15. #254
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,982
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Either his really dumb or extremely selfish. The timing of the whole situation is terrible! Team chemistry at all time high. In a playoffs race with 2 other teams. I know I'm known as the local JV basher but this is inexplicable. This is who you guys want to be the face of the franchise?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  16. #255
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default





  17. #256
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And this is just anecdotal evidence from Doug Smith, but still thought I'd post it so people don't rush to judgment as if the kid is suddenly a jackass and deserves to be hanged...

    It is a very serious thing, a huge lapse in judgment and he put others at risk, along with himself. It was stupid, pure and simple.

    I will say this, though: I’ve seen him out for dinner a handful of times over the course of the season, the most recently being at an upscale joint in Cleveland the last time we were there and I don’t recall ever seeing him with a beer or even a glass of wine in front of him.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...e_learned.html

    Just seems to be the mistake you make when you're young and naive. Doesn't seem to be the result of an arrogant narcissist who things he's beyond consequences or some such.

  18. #257
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Either his really dumb or extremely selfish. The timing of the whole situation is terrible! Team chemistry at all time high. In a playoffs race with 2 other teams. I know I'm known as the local JV basher but this is inexplicable. This is who you guys want to be the face of the franchise?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If he plays like one, then why not? At least he's not being charged with something serious like Kobe's rape.

  19. #258
    Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Christ, DUI's are no big deal in Canada I guess...every day shit up here. Christ guys, this speaks to a larger issue, doesn't anyone see that?

    Just because it's JV, and just becasue it's a Raptor, or just because it might affect the standings or our Atlantic division title, or it wouldn't be fair to his teammates, doesn't mean jack shit in the bigger picture of social responsibility.

    If MLSE or the Raps can be proactive here (if they are allowed to as per 3inthekeon's post), then they should be. It could mean alot to changing people's perspectives on DUI's, because right now, it's almost like it's ok if you don't get caught or hurt somebody.
    I have two points:

    1. I agree with you completely about how it speaks to a bigger issue, and that the perspective on DUIs is fucked. I can't even believe what I'm reading sometimes.

    2. I don't think there's enough information to make an example out of JV. We just don't know enough facts at this point. I'm not saying he should be let off the hook, only that we as outsiders don't know enough about the situation.

  20. Like Axel liked this post
  21. #259
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Either his really dumb or extremely selfish. The timing of the whole situation is terrible! Team chemistry at all time high. In a playoffs race with 2 other teams. I know I'm known as the local JV basher but this is inexplicable. This is who you guys want to be the face of the franchise?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be a face (among several) of the franchise: yes.

    If you think others on this team (Lowry, Amir, DeMar, Ross, Pat, etc) have never done anything stupid that could be this kind of newsworthy or even possibly illegal, you're pretty naive. It was a dumb mistake and he got caught for it. It doesn't make him a bad guy to build around, or a bad guy at all in general.

  22. #260
    Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And this is just anecdotal evidence from Doug Smith, but still thought I'd post it so people don't rush to judgment as if the kid is suddenly a jackass and deserves to be hanged...



    http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...e_learned.html

    Just seems to be the mistake you make when you're young and naive. Doesn't seem to be the result of an arrogant narcissist who things he's beyond consequences or some such.
    Smith's article brought up another point. If the friends he was with knew what he was going to do, if I were Masai, I'd be strongly suggesting he get some different "friends".

  23. Like rocwell liked this post
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •