JV Arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Just found out about this. Very disappointing indeed. But guys c'mon, if you work at a drive thru and have ANY indication that a driver is/was drunk then you absolutely have a social responsibility to call the police. Thats it. No more to it. Christ, you can get charged for letting a friend drive home after drinking from your house party.

JV should be suspended immediately for no less than 5 games. The team should do this...now. Don't wait for the NBA to judge the situation. Don't wait for the justice system to figure it out. Be proactive, and send a message to fans and the public in general, this shit will not be tolerated by our employees.

The fact is, drinking and driving is almost socially acceptable in this country, and nobody really gives a fuck until something shitty happens. Preventative measures need to be taken, and that means punishing people more severely for breaking the law, even if they didn't hurt themselves or anyone else.

I still like JV, and I got his back, but he needs to be punished, and it needs to be now. Fucking Raptors need to step up to the plate and do something ASAP.
    Why?

Suspending him won't change anything, what's done is done. If he has any brain in his head, and if the team has any sense of duty and responsibility, it should be almost guaranteed that nothing like this will ever happen again. Suspending him will be nothing more than a PR move to placate enraged media/fans, that will hurt the team on the court (how is that fair to the rest of the team?).

I'd much rather see the Raptors 'sentence' him to a significant increase in social outreach, where he can use his fame and popularity to influence others, especially high school & university kids. Turn a negative into a positive, to help prevent others from following down the same path of stupidity.

Comment

Just found out about this. Very disappointing indeed. But guys c'mon, if you work at a drive thru and have ANY indication that a driver is/was drunk then you absolutely have a social responsibility to call the police. Thats it. No more to it. Christ, you can get charged for letting a friend drive home after drinking from your house party.

JV should be suspended immediately for no less than 5 games. The team should do this...now. Don't wait for the NBA to judge the situation. Don't wait for the justice system to figure it out. Be proactive, and send a message to fans and the public in general, this shit will not be tolerated by our employees.

The fact is, drinking and driving is almost socially acceptable in this country, and nobody really gives a fuck until something shitty happens. Preventative measures need to be taken, and that means punishing people more severely for breaking the law, even if they didn't hurt themselves or anyone else.

I still like JV, and I got his back, but he needs to be punished, and it needs to be now. Fucking Raptors need to step up to the plate and do something ASAP.
      Not less than 5 games? Only 2 other DUI's this year got 2 games each, so let's not over-react
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        Why?

Suspending him won't change anything, what's done is done. If he has any brain in his head, and if the team has any sense of duty and responsibility, it should be almost guaranteed that nothing like this will ever happen again. Suspending him will be nothing more than a PR move to placate enraged media/fans, that will hurt the team on the court (how is that fair to the rest of the team?).

I'd much rather see the Raptors 'sentence' him to a significant increase in social outreach, where he can use his fame and popularity to influence others, especially high school & university kids. Turn a negative into a positive, to help prevent others from following down the same path of stupidity.
        I think the rest of the paragraph after that bold explains why.

Comment

• I thought the CBA prohibited team suspensions for DUI. It is a league matter. Team can bench him if they feel further punishment warranted.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Not less than 5 games? Only 2 other DUI's this year got 2 games each, so let's not over-react
            What difference does that make?

Comment

What difference does that make?
              Well for one, he would appeal and win if you give him more than double the season precedence as a first time offender. Two, why single him out more than Jason Kidd (who got 2 games)?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Jason Kidd crashed a car into a pole and was belligerent with police and he got 2 games. Also he was 40 and had no excuse. JV is 21, young and dumb and hurt nobody, destroyed nothing and was rude to nobody. Context matters. If the team suspends him there are legal consequences to the team and the players union. This is a NBAPA drugs and alcohol matter...meaning the suspension needs to come from the league
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Christ, DUI's are no big deal in Canada I guess...every day shit up here. Christ guys, this speaks to a larger issue, doesn't anyone see that?

Just because it's JV, and just becasue it's a Raptor, or just because it might affect the standings or our Atlantic division title, or it wouldn't be fair to his teammates, doesn't mean jack shit in the bigger picture of social responsibility.

If MLSE or the Raps can be proactive here (if they are allowed to as per 3inthekeon's post), then they should be. It could mean alot to changing people's perspectives on DUI's, because right now, it's almost like it's ok if you don't get caught or hurt somebody.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                    Well for one, he would appeal and win if you give him more than double the season precedence as a first time offender. Two, why single him out more than Jason Kidd (who got 2 games)?
                    I don't care about jason kidd or the fucking precedent, or what happens in the States. I care about not sharing the fucking road with drunk drivers.

Comment

Christ, DUI's are no big deal in Canada I guess...every day shit up here. Christ guys, this speaks to a larger issue, doesn't anyone see that?

Just because it's JV, and just becasue it's a Raptor, or just because it might affect the standings or our Atlantic division title, or it wouldn't be fair to his teammates, doesn't mean jack shit in the bigger picture of social responsibility.

If MLSE or the Raps can be proactive here (if they are allowed to as per 3inthekeon's post), then they should be. It could mean alot to changing people's perspectives on DUI's, because right now, it's almost like it's ok if you don't get caught or hurt somebody.
                      Well Jonas has the law to answer to. I just don't see why the team should go above and beyond.

Should we just fire him?

Like I understand drunk driving is a serious offense, but our society functions on a set of rules.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• "Oh, everyone's done it once or twice" does not make it okay. Wtf?
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I think the rest of the paragraph after that bold explains why.
                          I understand the emotion behind it, but I don't agree with a sports team taking a random stand beyond what the laws say. Typically a first offense is at most a short-term license and possibly vehicle seizure, a small fine and possibly a single year driving probation period (at least here in Alberta). If you got a 1st time DUI charge over the weekend, would you expect the company you work for to punish you further? No, it makes no sense.

I get that professional athletes and the franchises they work for are in the public sphere, which is why I would prefer outreach to simple punishment. Punishment doesn't help anybody else, which is the exact situation these athlete celebrities are uniquely in. I think having JV talk about his experience with students, as an educational attempt to persuade teens to choose not to drink and drive, would be far more beneficial for the public and much more aligned with the team's commitment to social responsibility.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            "Oh, everyone's done it once or twice" does not make it okay. Wtf?
                            You're right. It's against the law, and Jonas will pay the legal price.

Aside:

A system of consequences built on public perception leads to mob lynchings, witch burnings and inquisitions. So let's keep the rhetoric to a minimum.
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• I don't condone drinking and driving, and I have lost a person close to me because of it. I'll admit prior to losing that person I had driven after drinking more than I probably should have (not anything excessive though). People make mistakes, and hopefully he learns for this incident. Drunk driving is a problem in Canada, and perhaps needs stricter laws to prohibit it.

On that note, he has to face the courts just as we would have to. Leave it at that. If the NBA chooses to suspend him after his conviction, as is precedent, than I support that decision. To suspend someone before the legal process has unfolded is unjust. I realize he is in the public spotlight and should be a role model, but he is a 21 year old man who made a mistake. People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                Jason Kidd crashed a car into a pole and was belligerent with police and he got 2 games. Also he was 40 and had no excuse. JV is 21, young and dumb and hurt nobody, destroyed nothing and was rude to nobody. Context matters. If the team suspends him there are legal consequences to the team and the players union. This is a NBAPA drugs and alcohol matter...meaning the suspension needs to come from the league
                                Plus Jason Kidd has a history (assault) and was just named a Head Coach. Context is very important.

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                                I don't care about jason kidd or the fucking precedent, or what happens in the States. I care about not sharing the fucking road with drunk drivers.
                                Well then perhaps you should take your passion, and put it towards the cause and make a difference (MADD Canada perhaps?). Cause posting on a Raptors forum with over-reaction isn't going to help anyone get safer roads. Since this is a basketball site, we can only really discuss the basketball side of it, which follows NBA rules, policies and CBA provisions. So while your passion is to be applauded, this discussion (on the Raps site) needs to follow the realities of the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X