JV Arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    I don't think you could find a single person here who thinks JV will ever be good enough to be the best player on a legitimate team, or, if you will, the "face of a franchise", so I'm not sure where this straw man came from.
    Oh believe me I'm with you. I don't think he has that type of potential either. I'm pretty sure we're a small minority that believes that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• alcoholics do not process alcohol faster... they learn to function in a state of perpetual drunkeness. They just appear to be more sober
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Oh believe me I'm with you. I don't think he has that type of potential either. I'm pretty sure we're a small minority that believes that.

You think it's absolutely impossible he can be as good as Marc Gasol?
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• I believe JV could be the best player on a legitimate team....
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Also take in the fact that his been playing the best basketball of his career the last two weeks. He just goes and almost jeopardize all that. Just don't get it.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• the way people are acting around here you would think he raped and killed someone.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                the way people are acting around here you would think he raped and killed someone.
                Seriously, stop this drama show...
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I don't think you could find a single person here who thinks JV will ever be good enough to be the best player on a legitimate team, or, if you will, the "face of a franchise", so I'm not sure where this straw man came from.
                  thead wrote: View Post
                  I believe JV could be the best player on a legitimate team....
                  Well, clearly I'm wrong!
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

the way people are acting around here you would think he raped and killed someone.
                    I know right?

Comment

He could of...

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Most statements are usually along the lines of....This team, as currently built, will depend on JV's growth a lot in order to take a step up in the NBA pecking order. And that's usually because he plays a more critical position, especially in terms of need, than, say, Ross. So in Chr1st1an's mind that becomes "people hate on DD and want JV to be the face of the franchise?" or something along those lines...Instead of "if JV grows into a top tier two-way C and we still have quality players like DD and what Ross can hopefully become as well, we'll be a much better team than we are today".

I think most of us who love JV's potential acknowledge he's not likely a franchise player, especially on a contender. He may have a very slim chance (like veeeery slim), but realistically, it's more that he can be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a contender while also being hopefully one of the top players at his position, which lacks a lot of elite talent (seriously, the only guy considered a franchise player at the C position in the last decade has been Howard...no one else has been considered "best player on a contender" good). He has a good chance of being as good as just about any C in the game today, and better than most.

Comment

He could of...

Exactly. He could of. Many families are hurting because of drunk drivers. Many.

Jonas is just 21 years old and already a multi-millionaire, he committed an offence and he'll have to face consequences. Thank God no one got hurt.

Also, world law is messed up. Everyone say DUI is very serious offence, so why there are so many 'slap on the wrist' sentences?

Anyway, we should move on from this. I just hope he'll avoid travel restrictions on his visa and continue to work hard on his game. We need him in the playoffs.
                          Last edited by rocwell; Tue Apr 8, 2014, 06:40 PM.

Comment

I go with facts. Facts are that those guys you've mentioned haven't be arrested before. Actually no Raptor(while they were a raptor) in history has never been caught with something of the sort.

Also he choice to exclude himself from the team. The whole team was at the Blue Jays game. Everyone but him.

You married?

You ever been married?

You ever been a foreigner living in a different country?

You ever been a foreigner living in a different country with your wife with a social opportunity with people from your home country?

Personally I've never been a living in a foreign country with my wife. But I do have experience in marriage and the struggles that often arise between work and homelife (i.e. my wife). There is a thing called work/home life balance and I would imagine it is a struggle for JV being just 21, married, and on another continent.

Now all the other Raptors who are married are foreigners too. But none of them are 21.

JV, in this situation, is stupid beyond description. However this situation is not black and white. If the team get together was meant to mandatory, it would have been mandatory. If it was optional, then it is optional. These guys get about 3 days off at a stretch no more than 3-4 times during the season. That might be a bitter pill to swallow for some wives who want to have social time among her friends.

Again, JV was stupid and deserves whatever legal consequences come his way as well as team or league discipline. However anyone on this forum who can say they've never made a really stupid mistake is either lying or 16.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                              Exactly. He could of. Many families are hurting because of drunk drivers. Many.

Jonas is just 21 years old and already a multi-millionaire, he committed an offence and he'll have to face consequences. Thank God no one got hurt.

Also, world law is messed up. Everyone say DUI is very serious offence, so why there are so many 'slap on the wrist' sentences?
                              Because laws are messed up. There is a great reluctance to make laws with harsh punishments that could affect far too many people. Some of that is trying to be a rational lawmaker (talking in general, not just about alcohol) because you don't want to set the wrong kind of precedent...Some of it is just cultural stupidity and politics.

When I was in school, I did a paper on alcohol/alcoholism in the UK and it's impacts. Something like over half (can't remember exact statistic) of all hospitalizations in England and Wales were directly or indirectly due to alcohol (making it the leading single cause all things considered). But laws are not particularly harsh. Why? Largely because of politics and a libertarian type attitude where people don't want to be dictated what they are allowed to do for things they view as their personal choice and responsibility (unless of course you're poor and doing drugs, in which case you get fucked beyond belief and the legal system is only likely to make your life worse than what made you start doing drugs in the first place). Politicians and lawmakers are thus afraid to push an agenda that will make a real difference in outcomes, as it can cost them support given the cultural climate in a country where everybody likes their whisky and ales, and there's loads of binge-drinking. Especially since then even the richest and most powerful could be severely fucked by the law.

You only get particularly strong laws in countries that invite government intervention, like Sweden (legal limit is 0.02%, which basically means you cannot drink and drive at any level without risking breaking the law). And part of the reason for their strong laws is exactly because they historically have cultural problems with alcohol and binge-drinking.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                                Kyle lowry was charged with battery on female ref. So yes, he was arrested back in 2012.
                                The people on their moral high horse are certainly better than me.

Lets look at just a couple of NBA drunk drivers off top of my head in last year or two:

Jarrett Jack
                                RC Buford
                                Mike Budenholzer

All solid NBA people with solid reputations who made a really stupid mistake.

Again, whatever legal and league/team discipline he receives is well deserved. However get off your moral high horse and be thankful that his huge mistake (from what we know and hopefully this is the stupidest thing he's ever done) did not harm anyone and hopefully he can learn a valuable life lesson from this at 21 years of age with, hopefully, many NBA years ahead of him.

I hope and pray this is not a snowball starting on the top of the mountain with Larry Sanders waiting for him at the bottom of the controversy hill.

Comment

Working...
                                X