9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      "Why is anything on tv that I dont like"
      Don't even get me started on Everybody Loves Raymond

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Don't even get me started on Everybody Loves Raymond
        What, you don't think Ray Romano's comedic timing takes as much hard work, dedication, skill as Lebron? GTFOH

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          What, you don't think Ray Romano's comedic timing takes as much hard work, dedication, skill as Lebron? GTFOH
          What? Ray Romano is comedic?
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I have no issue including stuff like bowling, golf, curling, auto racing, etc... as sports, but that's not really the issue.

The issue is that none of those secondary sports should ever take priority over the big-4 sports, especially over Canada's lone NBA franchise, on Canada's premier sports networks.

Hockey, I get, especially when Canadian NHL teams are involved. Same with baseball and the Blue Jays. I would hope that the Raptors would come 3rd, ahead of football (NFL with no Canadian teams and the CFL), considering a national (opposed to regional/provincial) audience on the main network.
            This is the problem. The bolded is YOUR opinion. It obviously isn't the opinion of the majority of TSN's viewers, or the Raptors would take precedence over the other non-big-4 sports.
            There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Well blue and red are both considered "colours". But which is the better colour between blue and ravioli?

Yes, people want to watch curling in Canada more so than basketball. And that's what annoys me. I'd be just as annoyed if TSN was bumping the Raptors for the Spelling Bee (regardless of what the viewership dictates).
              Some truth! No need to be annoyed though. Disappointed yes (as I would be too in your example with the Spelling Bee). Truthfully, I believe the curling/darts/poker priority days are numbered, especially if the Raptors have a few consecutive playoff runs. Nascar is a different story though. It draws huge numbers in Canada.

@clericalbeats

Comment

For what it's worth, this is the second from Team Canada's Olympic curling team. Looks fairly fit to me!

@clericalbeats

Comment

A bit of a reality check on why the networks aren't fawning over the Raptors.

This is their 19th year in the league, and this team will in all probability have the best record in their entire history. This team also currently has the 11th best record in the NBA. For viewership to climb, the Raptors will have to start a winning tradition to dig themselves out of the non-relevance hole they've been in so long.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post

This is their 19th year in the league, and this team will in all probability have the best record in their entire history. This team also currently has the 11th best record in the NBA. For viewership to climb, the Raptors will have to start a winning tradition to dig themselves out of the non-relevance hole they've been in so long.
                    Though the initial post dealt largely with actual coverage of the team beyond broadcasting games. They get no real attention in Canadian media, including the specialized sports media. They're lucky to get 2 or 3 minutes of coverage on Sportscentre on a night when they play and win in games that matter. If they got more coverage, it could also help generate more interest in the team. You'd even think the television media especially would want to take advantage of this good season, since 2 of the largest companies in that sector co-own the majority of the team.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Though the initial post dealt largely with actual coverage of the team beyond broadcasting games. They get no real attention in Canadian media, including the specialized sports media. They're lucky to get 2 or 3 minutes of coverage on Sportscentre on a night when they play and win in games that matter. If they got more coverage, it could also help generate more interest in the team. You'd even think the television media especially would want to take advantage of this good season, since 2 of the largest companies in that sector co-own the majority of the team.
                      Agree they should, understand why they don't...yet. Let's see what happens when the team has some real (playoffs) success - this year is almost perfect with only the Habs in the playoffs.

And to look at the bright side, things can only get better.

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post

For what it's worth, this is the second from Team Canada's Olympic curling team. Looks fairly fit to me!
                        I would say it's worth nothing. I could post a picture of Gary from Accounting and how ripped and great shape he is, doesn't make Accounting a sport.

Finesse skills are a big part of curling, and golf, but they are also a big part of sports. It isn't a defining factor. I think the free throw example much earlier is a good example. Shooting free throws takes lots of skill but by itself it's clearly not a sport. Stationary demonstration of skill without any need for athleticism is a game. Throw 4 golfers at the tee at the same time and make it a combined score of time and stroke (so they actually have to use speed, agility and endurance on top of high end skills) then you have a sport (and something I'd consider watching). Just because it's on the sports channel, doesn't make it a sport. I don't care how many weekend mornings are ruined by "fishing, Canadian sport fishing!" it's not a sport.

The culture in Canada will change, and it will likely be fairly soon. The influx of Canadian talent at the NCAA and NBA level means more average households will pay attention. If Canada can actually get to the Olympics with Wiggins, Ennis, Stauskas, Bennett, Olynyk and such, then suddenly they are in the households and on the minds. Demand will rise beyond Internet forums and the basketball sub-culture. We are ahead of the curve is all.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post

This is true - and the tradition has begun

Also, didn't read the whole thread but I think someone was actually calling curlers athletes!??! LOL that was my laugh for the day. Gotta love this site

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
                            Some truth! No need to be annoyed though. Disappointed yes (as I would be too in your example with the Spelling Bee). Truthfully, I believe the curling/darts/poker priority days are numbered, especially if the Raptors have a few consecutive playoff runs. Nascar is a different story though. It draws huge numbers in Canada.
                            If you want talk about a non-sport it is most definitely Nascar, watching some cars drive around in circles for hours on end, I just never got it; I swear most people just watch it hoping for a horrible flaming crash, the same types who clog up the highway rubbernecking the accidents. I would watch curling any day of the week over Nascar. Curling most definitely is a sport that requires athleticism, quite randomly I watched the wheel chair curling in the Paralympics and that was more like the shooting free-throws analogy; it was brutally inferior, sweepers matter.
                            limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Drake was on ESPN today and announced he is hosting ESPY's, he also talked about the Raptors with the guys from ESPN countdown (Jalen Rose, Bill Simmons, and Avery Johnson) anyone know what he said or has a video?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Watching the OKC/Clips game one SN1

Tons of baseball commercials about the Jays

Feed is also crap (HD as well), frame rate is really slow so it gives a 'shakey' camera feel and is a bit hard to watch sctually

Comment

Working...
                                X