Raptors TV broadcast thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    Again, these are ignorant statements that are nothing more than uninformed opinion. What makes a sport leisure? Are they not all intended to be fun? Ask any professional curler and it is anything but simply leisure. They work their full-time jobs and spend all of their free-time practicing, travelling and competing at the highest level, hoping to win money to fund their next event. Just because you think curling is on the same level as dominoes does not make it so.

As for the statement about curlers not being athletes, I would wager that the men's olympic team that just won the gold medal are in better shape than some NBA players. The sport requires incredible balance, strength, agility, hand-eye coordination as well as mental prowess. Shooting a basketball doesn't require athletic prowess, as you put it, and I play basketball simply for leisure. Using your argument, I could say that basketball is the "tricycle" when placed in the same realm as curling.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
    I agree with you.

Curling is a sport just as much as Golf is, and it certainly gets air time.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Again, these are ignorant statements that are nothing more than uninformed opinion. What makes a sport leisure? Are they not all intended to be fun? Ask any professional curler and it is anything but simply leisure. They work their full-time jobs and spend all of their free-time practicing, travelling and competing at the highest level, hoping to win money to fund their next event. Just because you think curling is on the same level as dominoes does not make it so.

As for the statement about curlers not being athletes, I would wager that the men's olympic team that just won the gold medal are in better shape than some NBA players. The sport requires incredible balance, strength, agility, hand-eye coordination as well as mental prowess. Shooting a basketball doesn't require athletic prowess, as you put it, and I play basketball simply for leisure. Using your argument, I could say that basketball is the "tricycle" when placed in the same realm as curling.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
      I can almost guarantee that nobody in the history of mankind has ever seen a Curler do his thing, and said, "what an incredible athlete".

If Basketball consisted of nothing but free throws, then you'd have a point.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I can almost guarantee that nobody in the history of mankind has ever seen a Curler do his thing, and said, "what an incredible athlete".

If anything, does this make basketball less of legitimate sport? No matter the amount of practice, training and development, someone born with the wrong body can't ever make it.

Should we not admire those people who are able to exert the power of their mind over their body and create incredibly precise actions?

I don't believe this, all I'm saying is that your opinion is obviously not based in objective analysis, but rather your subjective beliefs.
        "Bruno?
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
          If anything, does this make basketball less of legitimate sport? No matter the amount of practice, training and development, someone born with the wrong body can't ever make it.

Should we not admire those people who are able to exert the power of their mind over their body and create incredibly precise actions?

I don't believe this, all I'm saying is that your opinion is obviously not based in objective analysis, but rather your subjective beliefs.
          Plus, I'm not forgetting what msg board we're on.

Trying to convince me that Curling = Basketball from an athletic standpoint? No chance.

If you can find objective evidence of a Curler faster, stronger, more agile, than our average NBA player, then I'll be happy to re-asses my perspective.

Comment

I've heard this complaint a number of times and as a competitve curler I take offence to it. ........
            I am sorry you took offense. I did not mean to single your favourite sports out but rather point to the choice of various broadcasts over basketball. Poker seems to be a favourite as well. Setup more channels and broadcast them all. My point (and that of the thread) is that a major sport basketball is getting short shrift here made even more egregious by the great season the Raptors are having. I refer here to not just the game telecast but the supporting reporting around the game. Soccer has eg. specific programming covering the international leagues. Imbalance of course exists to the point of nausea in the case of hockey. I'll give you your curling but darts and poker....seriously?

ps...there is a irony here that if a portion of a broadcast mandate is to grow a sport (if for nothing else but selfish reasons since eyeballs will increase) then they should be devoting more broadcast time to it.

Comment

Plus, I'm not forgetting what msg board we're on.

Trying to convince me that Curling = Basketball from an athletic standpoint? No chance.

If you can find objective evidence of a Curler faster, stronger, more agile, than our average NBA player, then I'll be happy to re-asses my perspective.
              no, no, thats fair.

I'm not trying to do the bold, just pointing out that what people look for in sports is not always the same for everyone.

There's something to appreciate in both sports, and arbitrarily raising one above the other because of a perceived superiority of one quality is just that, arbitrary.

I don't even know what I'm arguing for anymore lol.

I dream of a world where a sport is not judged based on....
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I demand better TV ...
                ... because my favorite streaming site just got shut down

Comment

This is where the argument ends. Based on the bolded, I'm obviously dealing with God here who knows all of man's internal thoughts. Gimme a break.
                  There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

I'm cool with with curling getting fair exposure, but that's not what is being played instead of Raps games. They're not broadcasting World Championship games, Brier qualifiers, etc., Raps games are pushed to alternative channels for replays of games.

The current interest in sports is tied to the benefit of live broadcasts. The fact that sports are the only must watch television, that cannot be viewed on delay with the same amount of interest is important. Personally, if TSN knew what they were doing, this would not be an issue. As a broadcaster, TSN could negotiate with Curling Canada, CFL, and other Canadian sports so that they could broadcast everything live. Instead, of nurturing all live sports, and benefiting all sports they would rather push certain sports to satellite stations.

There are reasons for that. Also, Poker, darts, pool, etc., all have their place -- however, if it's not live, or day of, why is it being broadcasted on TSN, or Sportsnet instead of one of the satellite stations?

Comment

The thing I don't get is that I thought TSN2 was originally launched as a copy-cat of ESPN2, which was meant to be a secondary network playing the secondary sports? I've always had issue with Canada's only NBA (one of the big-4 sports) team being relegated to the 2nd tier network, especially in favor of some meaningless regular season NHL game between a couple of backwoods, non-playoff American teams.

I would totally understand the Raptors ranking 3rd on the Canadian sports depth-chart, behind the Canadian NHL teams and the Blue Jays. Watching the national sports media outlets treat the Raptors as a 2nd tier sport does nothing to help grow the sport in Canada (which it turn would help their ratings).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        I am sorry you took offense. I did not mean to single your favourite sports out but rather point to the choice of various broadcasts over basketball. Poker seems to be a favourite as well. Setup more channels and broadcast them all. My point (and that of the thread) is that a major sport basketball is getting short shrift here made even more egregious by the great season the Raptors are having. I refer here to not just the game telecast but the supporting reporting around the game. Soccer has eg. specific programming covering the international leagues. Imbalance of course exists to the point of nausea in the case of hockey. I'll give you your curling but darts and poker....seriously?

ps...there is a irony here that if a portion of a broadcast mandate is to grow a sport (if for nothing else but selfish reasons since eyeballs will increase) then they should be devoting more broadcast time to it.
                        All great points. Was just offering a justification for network choices and hoping to offer some insight into a world outside of Raptors basketball where people have differing views on what should be shown on tv. I guess it basically all comes down to supply and demand. The Raptors terrible and short-lived history (save, for a few nice seasons) makes it hard for people to jump on board. Fans should be pro-active in their quest to have the Raptors as the #1 media darlings. E-mail, tweet, blog, do whatever you can to make yourself heard. Posters ranting about it being "bullshit" that the Leafs get all the coverage won't change anything. I don't follow the Leafs, darts or poker, but complaining and being bothered by their coverage won't change anything.

@clericalbeats

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                          I'm cool with with curling getting fair exposure, but that's not what is being played instead of Raps games. They're not broadcasting World Championship games, Brier qualifiers, etc., Raps games are pushed to alternative channels for replays of games.

The current interest in sports is tied to the benefit of live broadcasts. The fact that sports are the only must watch television, that cannot be viewed on delay with the same amount of interest is important. Personally, if TSN knew what they were doing, this would not be an issue. As a broadcaster, TSN could negotiate with Curling Canada, CFL, and other Canadian sports so that they could broadcast everything live. Instead, of nurturing all live sports, and benefiting all sports they would rather push certain sports to satellite stations.

There are reasons for that. Also, Poker, darts, pool, etc., all have their place -- however, if it's not live, or day of, why is it being broadcasted on TSN, or Sportsnet instead of one of the satellite stations?
                          Agree with the live aspect of sports, but I'm not sure what the bold is referring to? Did TSN play a replay of something instead of a Raptor game? Can only speak for curling, but a lot of the world events are played overseas and the live coverage would be in the middle of the night in Canada. Replays generally occur during the morning or afternoon for curling. Either way, I tend to agree that I'm not sure the major networks have their eggs in the proper baskets, but I'm also assuming they know more than we do.

@clericalbeats

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                            no, no, thats fair.

I'm not trying to do the bold, just pointing out that what people look for in sports is not always the same for everyone.

There's something to appreciate in both sports, and arbitrarily raising one above the other because of a perceived superiority of one quality is just that, arbitrary.

I don't even know what I'm arguing for anymore lol.

I dream of a world where a sport is not judged based on....
                            Couldn't have said it better myself. Let's just appreciate all skills, whether they're perceived athletic or not.

@clericalbeats

Comment

This is where the argument ends. Based on the bolded, I'm obviously dealing with God here who knows all of man's internal thoughts. Gimme a break.
                              Look at your avatar. That's an athlete.

Now show me the Curling equivalent.

Comment

I've heard this complaint a number of times and as a competitve curler I take offence to it. The ONLY curling coverage on TSN are the national championships, world championships, skins game (literally 1 game) and continental cup (1 weekend). The national and world championships SHOULD be broadcast over a regular season Raptors game. Curling is a huge Canadian sport and this country is a dominant curling force. It gets "much better" coverage because it has been around for over 200 years in Canada and is enjoyed by an age demographic much larger than that of the average Raps fan.

Much like Vince Carter introduced basketball to young Canadians, prominent Canadian curlers are doing the same. I don't care about it not being as "cool" as basketball, that's an opinion. A fact is the number of people watching the Brier and Scotties is higher than those watching a regular season Raps game. If it weren't fact, TSN would be showing the Raptors. There are 82 Raptor games broadcast over the course of 6 months (as well as other NBA games) and there are 6 curling events that take up a total of about 50 days. Giving up a couple basketball games here and there should not a major issue.

I've always been a big believer in not chastising one sport to promote another (which is basically our pet peeve from hockey analysts). Open your mind to the possibility that other people like darts and curling, just like you want the hockey fanatics to open their mind that people that like basketball.
                                Well there's a lot of fucking championship games lol and besides you, I've never met anyone under the age of 70 who actually watches any of these events
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X