Raptors TV broadcast thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    I would say it's worth nothing. I could post a picture of Gary from Accounting and how ripped and great shape he is, doesn't make Accounting a sport.

Finesse skills are a big part of curling, and golf, but they are also a big part of sports. It isn't a defining factor. I think the free throw example much earlier is a good example. Shooting free throws takes lots of skill but by itself it's clearly not a sport. Stationary demonstration of skill without any need for athleticism is a game. Throw 4 golfers at the tee at the same time and make it a combined score of time and stroke (so they actually have to use speed, agility and endurance on top of high end skills) then you have a sport (and something I'd consider watching). Just because it's on the sports channel, doesn't make it a sport. I don't care how many weekend mornings are ruined by "fishing, Canadian sport fishing!" it's not a sport.

The culture in Canada will change, and it will likely be fairly soon. The influx of Canadian talent at the NCAA and NBA level means more average households will pay attention. If Canada can actually get to the Olympics with Wiggins, Ennis, Stauskas, Bennett, Olynyk and such, then suddenly they are in the households and on the minds. Demand will rise beyond Internet forums and the basketball sub-culture. We are ahead of the curve is all.
    Lol if Gary's ripped stature gives him an advantage over another accountant in a competition then it actually is sport.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Prophet2k wrote: View Post
      If you want talk about a non-sport it is most definitely Nascar, watching some cars drive around in circles for hours on end, I just never got it; I swear most people just watch it hoping for a horrible flaming crash, the same types who clog up the highway rubbernecking the accidents. I would watch curling any day of the week over Nascar. Curling most definitely is a sport that requires athleticism, quite randomly I watched the wheel chair curling in the Paralympics and that was more like the shooting free-throws analogy; it was brutally inferior, sweepers matter.
      Nascar isn't even driving in circles, it's turning slightly to the left for 3 hours. Worst televised event ever! Give me the Spelling Bee at least.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
        Lol if Gary's ripped stature gives him an advantage over another accountant in a competition then it actually is sport.
        Sport or game or let's say "competitive activity" will be subjective, but let's not get crazy here. From an athleticism point of view, Kevin Martin didn't need to be like Harnden (who is built like a hockey player) to dominate his sport. Meanwhile you're not going to see any fatties leading the NBA in scoring -- they'd be lucky to even make a roster. Nor would you see 43 year olds leading their teams to the NBA championships like Martin did 4 years ago at the Olympics.
        Last edited by ebrian; Thu Apr 10, 2014, 02:48 PM. Reason: meant to say "43 year olds"
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

In an earlier post in this thread I had mentioned the lack of supportive pre and post game programming. Well, anyone viewing the SN1 last night were treated to an obscure women's triathlon event immediately after the Philliy-Raps game. Brilliant. Normally NBA/Raptors TV on another cable channel (not everyone subscribes to/has) would carry a Raptors PostUp show but it decided to program another nba game.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            Nascar isn't even driving in circles, it's turning slightly to the left for 3 hours. Worst televised event ever! Give me the Spelling Bee at least.
            Yea definitely. Up there with Poker in my opinion.

I love that first comment in the Star article "I don't watch it. Just put 5 minutes on the clock, give each team 100 points and watch them go at it"....just sums up the ignorance of typical Canadians.

I think hockey would be much more entertaining if they just did 5 minutes of sudden death. It's not like anything actually happens that's worth watching for the first 60 minutes.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post

I love that first comment in the Star article "I don't watch it. Just put 5 minutes on the clock, give each team 100 points and watch them go at it"....just sums up the ignorance of typical Canadians.

I think hockey would be much more entertaining if they just did 5 minutes of sudden death. It's not like anything actually happens that's worth watching for the first 60 minutes.
              Yeah, what the hell. Why is poker broadcasted on sports networks?
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post

That's usually my response to ignorant puckheads too. "Really? How many NHL games are decided in OT/SO?"

Comment

OldSchool wrote: View Post
                  This is true - and the tradition has begun

Also, didn't read the whole thread but I think someone was actually calling curlers athletes!??! LOL that was my laugh for the day. Gotta love this site
                  The Wall Street Journal has an article on this: how the curlers of 20 years ago were on a diet of beer and cigarettes ... and how now they are serious athletes who can bench press 300 lbs. Why? Because sweeping is physical, and doing it well gives your team an advantage.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...20632674174024
                  Last edited by Kuh; Fri Apr 11, 2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

kuh wrote: View Post
                    the wall street journal has an article on this: How the curlers of 20 years ago were on a diet of beer and cigarettes ... And how now they are serious athletes who can bench press 300 lbs. Why? Because sweeping is physical, and doing it well gives your team an advantage.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...20632674174024
                    lol

but in a sport that evokes shuffleboard more than snowboarding, how much does conditioning matter?

"i would think if you're in reasonable shape, that should be enough," said orest meleschuk, one of the top canadian curlers of the 1960s and '70s. "curling is not a physical game. It's not like a lot of the other sports."

Comment

• Tim & Sid: Fans MUST make a stand outside ACC

Good on, Sid.

At 5:10, Sid calls out every basketball fan in Southern Ontario to make a statement to TV Exec's that don't take the Raptors seriously
                      At 7:00, Sid reiterates how pivotal this moment is for the future

http://youtu.be/gNeBgdUz3lo

Comment

• When leafs fans bandwagon jump onto other teams in Toronto is when the most ignorant, pessimistic, shortsighted opinions come out. Leafs suck because of management and fans.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• He's not wrong.

Comment

• Sidney does get a bit overly dramatic sometimes. There will be a lot of noise however.

The deeper the Raps go into series and playoffs the tv eyeballs will increase across Canada so will the crowds at the square. Re the suits and media types this will take a bit more time. There is just too much invested in hockey (eg. 5 plus billion deal by Rogers) and livelihoods depending on that game but this is a good start.

Comment

• He's right y'know. I live about an hour from Toronto so i won't be able to make it but i will be screaming at my TV

Comment

• i'll be there! probably not at 10:30 but to watch the game for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X