Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Championship run?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Championship run?

I know it's still a really long shot, but if everything falls into place, I think the Raptors would have a chance, however small, at playing in the finals. Let me explain. First, I think it's optimal for the Raptors if the standings remain the same as they currently are when the playoffs start:
    1. Miami
    2. Indiana
    3. Toronto
    4. Chicago
    5. Brooklyn
    6. Washington
    7. Charlotte
    8. Atlanta

This would mean that Toronto would play, in my mind, the easiest possible first round matchup, as they are 3-1 against Washington this season, with the one loss being in TRIPLE! overtime. There's no guarantees in the playoffs, but this is probably the Raptors ideal first round matchup, and most likely to put them in the second round without too much of a struggle.

So, assuming the Raptors win their first round matchup, and assuming the standings do not change any further prior to the playoffs, the first round matchups and likely winners would look like this:
    1. Miami vs 8. Atlanta - Miami, it would be great if Atlanta pulled off an unreal upset, though
    2. Indiana vs 7. Charlotte - Indiana, pretty likely unless they carry the current slump into the playoffs, and even still
    3. Toronto vs 6. Washington - Toronto, unless they or the wizards play differently than they did all season
    4. Chicago vs 5. Brooklyn - Brooklyn, it's really hard to say, though, and Chicago does look dangerous, but Brooklyn needs to win this in order to help the Raptors, I think, as will become evident throughout this post, so I'll assume Brooklyn advances for now.

The second round match-ups would then look like this:
    1. Miami vs 5. Brooklyn
    2. Indiana vs 3. Toronto

This is why it is important Brooklyn wins, because they are 3-0!! against Miami this season, which is unheard of, and there's no guarantees this will carry over to the playoffs, but they might have the best shot at taking down the heat than any team in the playoffs. As for the Toronto-Indiana matchup, after seeing the most recent game between the two, without Kyle Lowry OR Amir Johnson, and the Raptors pulling off the win, this gives good reason for optimism in the event of a series with the Pacers.

So, if Toronto actually does manage to beat the Pacers, and if Brooklyn can carry over the regular season success against the Heat and beat them, then the Conference Finals would be Toronto vs Brooklyn. As Toronto is 2-2 against Brooklyn this season (one of those losses before the Rudy Gay trade), the series could (hopefully) be really close, and give the Raptors a shot at a first ever NBA finals appearance!

What does everyone think, maybe it could happen?

Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

sometimes I hate my tenure as a raptors fan since 2000 ... it has made be cynical and bitter and just cant entertain such wild fancy optimism
    but good on you rookie for thinking we can make the finals

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I've followed them since halfway through the 2011-12 season, anyway, it's just I feel like this might be our best chance at any Finals run in the upcoming couple of years, because next year pretty much all teams will actually be trying to win so the Raptors might not do as well, though this Raptors squad does look pretty good for future years anyway.

Raptors Republic Rookie Tortacular's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no way Brooklyn beats Miami four times in seven games when Miami gives a crap. Maybe if Deron Williams gets some bionic ankles installed or Truth finds a time machine.

Do I think the Raps could beat Washington, Indy and Brooklyn if they had to? I would say it's possible, not probable. And barring a LeBron injury there's no way in my eyes that the East doesn't go through Miami again.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

anything is possible with a LeBron injury

but he seems the type if u take a lead pipe to his knee the pipe will break

I felt we beat Miami a week ago excluding LeBron ... we were +17 I believe when LeBron sat and we lost by 10

6. Like buckets, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors almost beat the Heat in Miami a while ago though, the game where they were up by 9 in the third quarter but then blew the lead. I think the Raptors could beat the heat in a series at least once at home? So if they won two home games, it would be at least 6 games which isn't too bad against the heat.

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
    The Raptors almost beat the Heat in Miami a while ago though, the game where they were up by 9 in the third quarter but then blew the lead. I think the Raptors could beat the heat in a series at least once at home? So if they won two home games, it would be at least 6 games which isn't too bad against the heat.
    any team in the league can 'almost' beat the heat. we haven't actually beat them in years now. i wouldn't hold my breath.

9. Like vino, Letter N, Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    any team in the league can 'almost' beat the heat. we haven't actually beat them in years now. i wouldn't hold my breath.
    Only team in the big 3 era to not beat them. Just been unlucky in that regard, which makes our chances even slimmer.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Only team in the big 3 era to not beat them.
    Wow, really?!... I don't like the sounds of that at all.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Only team in the big 3 era to not beat them. Just been unlucky in that regard, which makes our chances even slimmer.
    Raptors are due then. THIS IS THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We're not going to the finals. Stop it. Even with LBJ out in a 7 game series were getting spanked. I'm worried about getting past the Wizards let alone Miami.

14. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    We're not going to the finals. Stop it. Even with LBJ out in a 7 game series were getting spanked. I'm worried about getting past the Wizards let alone Miami.
    yessir

although the one thing I will say is that if Indiana's latest stretch continues in any way in the playoffs, we have a chance. They are a bad 18-18 over the course of the last 36 games and we have really been a much better team.

My thinking is that Indiana is just a blip right now, but they've got enough strong personalities that this could continue to snowball. We match up well against them, etc. etc..

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

it's time for paul george to assert himself as that franchise player, superstar player.
    all eyes are on the pacers and he has to be the one to take the first step to get their confidence back.

i think brooklyn CAN beat the heat in a 7 game series.

truth and a rested KG play their best against the miami heat.
    it sucks that they don't have brook lopez, but they have played great even without him
    lebron is lebron and will get his numbers, but d-wade and especially Bosh have to come through in order to win

i think pacers will lose in the 2nd round this year, because there is no guidance in the locker room when things get rough and they look like they will implode under pressure in the playoffs.

but then again
    this is our first playoffs for this squad
    JV and Ross are in their second season's
    Casey is a wild card in the playoffs as oppoising coaches have a whole series to exploit the Raptors.
    can casey make the right adjustments?
    with no offense coming outside of derozan and lowry, can we still win games?

Raptors Republic Rookie Prophet2k's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that I have been running through all of these scenarios in my head for quite some time now. Toronto needs someone to beat Miami, it's as simple as that. I don't think that is going to happen. I will call it now, Miami three-peats over the Clippers.
    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Post Thanks / Like

When I saw the title of the thread I laughed out loud but this is a fairly reasonable (but not likely) argument.

Raptors would have to play great and Brooklyn would have to play out of their minds to beat Miami, because they are going to be going crazy during the playoffs as well.

We can all hope though, can't we?
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post

What does everyone think, maybe it could happen?
    For whatever this is worth, at this point I'd be less surprised at them making the Finals, than I was surprised at the excellent basketball they started playing after the Gay trade.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to get third seed and play Wizards. Nothing else matters at this point. IF we manage to move on we certainly need to avoid the Heat. I dare not dream what you are proposing , For those posters who attended playoff games in 2001 we all know the emotional highs and excitement that comes with each game as the playoffs go on .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    We need to get third seed and play Wizards. Nothing else matters at this point. IF we manage to move on we certainly need to avoid the Heat. I dare not dream what you are proposing , For those posters who attended playoff games in 2001 we all know the emotional highs and excitement that comes with each game as the playoffs go on .
    This board will go crazy, win or lose, especially the in game threads.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Rookie RaptorsForever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

tbh the regular season can be thrown out the window once the playoffs start, its a whole new season come april 19th.

Honestly, theres no point in setting the expectations or sights this high for the raptors, just enjoy their first playoff appearance in 7 years, b/c who knows, they might get eliminated first round and all this speculation will be for nothing.
    Last edited by RaptorsForever; Mon Apr 7th, 2014 at 10:33 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    This board will go crazy, win or lose, especially the in game threads.
    Damn right ahahh
    We win game 1: Everyone ready to bring out the brooms ! We gonna sweep em!
    ( GLF still thinks we gonna lose in 5 )

We lose game 2: Fire Casey!
    DD is an inefficient chucked trade him for lottery pick!
    Were gonna lose in 5!
    (GLF proceeds to say "I told you so! We cannot handle the playoffs!" )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information