Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    A new challenge?
    Possibly. But unless some team backs a Brinks truck up to his door, there's no reason to make the leap. The success rate of college coaches making the grade up to the pros, notably in a head coach's role isn't all that great. He has a lot more support and security in the college ranks. Ideally if he did want to pursue a head coach position in the NBA, it would be better if he went into an assistant position for a year or two beforehand, a grooming if you will, into the role. If I'm running an NBA team, I want to see him build his program at UConn first, with his own recruits in his own system before I would consider him for a head coach position in the NBA, but that's just me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Kevin Ollie- The mustache on the sidelines!
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
        kevin Ollie would be pricey as the "flavor of the month" if we were to fire casey which I doubt and go the college route why not Shaka Smart
        I don't think Havoc would fly in the NBA
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
          Possibly. But unless some team backs a Brinks truck up to his door, there's no reason to make the leap. The success rate of college coaches making the grade up to the pros, notably in a head coach's role isn't all that great. He has a lot more support and security in the college ranks. Ideally if he did want to pursue a head coach position in the NBA, it would be better if he went into an assistant position for a year or two beforehand, a grooming if you will, into the role. If I'm running an NBA team, I want to see him build his program at UConn first, with his own recruits in his own system before I would consider him for a head coach position in the NBA, but that's just me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
          I hear Leiweke has a couple of brinks trucks in his garage.

What is the success rate of college coaches who spent 10+ years in the league as a player?

Those quotes in the Insider article show at least a few NBA people think he is ready or lack of experience would not be an issue.

Brad Stevens is an example of college coach jumping to pro with no NBA experience at all. Mark Jackson, Vinny Del Negro, and Jason Kidd all had zero Head coaching experience anywhere.

All I'm saying is if the end goal is KD in 2016, I would jump on Ollie now. Also since he is a college coach, I doubt he'd have issues playing youth or developing youth as Masai has said he plans to build through the draft.

Comment

I hear Leiweke has a couple of brinks trucks in his garage.

What is the success rate of college coaches who spent 10+ years in the league as a player?

Those quotes in the Insider article show at least a few NBA people think he is ready or lack of experience would not be an issue.

Brad Stevens is an example of college coach jumping to pro with no NBA experience at all. Mark Jackson, Vinny Del Negro, and Jason Kidd all had zero Head coaching experience anywhere.

All I'm saying is if the end goal is KD in 2016, I would jump on Ollie now. Also since he is a college coach, I doubt he'd have issues playing youth or developing youth as Masai has said he plans to build through the draft.
            I think it's far more likely that we look back in 2016, Durantless, and think why the hell did we hire a coach just to try and land a star player. Didn't we learn from Landry Fields?
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
              I think it's far more likely that we look back in 2016, Durantless, and think why the hell did we hire a coach just to try and land a star player. Didn't we learn from Landry Fields?
              Fair enough if the coach wasn't qualified but I think Ollie is.

If Durant doesn't land in TO then at least they have a good young coach.

This assumes, of course, that Casey is not back. If Masai wants Casey back then this is kind of pointless - like most things here, isn't it?

Comment

Fair enough if the coach wasn't qualified but I think Ollie is.

If Durant doesn't land in TO then at least they have a good young coach.

This assumes, of course, that Casey is not back. If Masai wants Casey back then this is kind of pointless - like most things here, isn't it?
                Yeah I agree.

If the situation arises that we need a new coach, I don't mind Ollie. But then again, what the hell do I know about college coaches?
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  Yeah I agree.

If the situation arises that we need a new coach, I don't mind Ollie. But then again, what the hell do I know about college coaches?

There are very few Larry Brown's or Brad Stevens (although there is not much to judge him on yet).

One thing I do like about Ollie is he knows the NBA mentality and lifestyle having been a player in the league for 13 seasons. That is very important, in my opinion.

Comment

Via HoopsHype.com via Twitter:

Ryan Wolstat: Random Kevin Ollie note: Am told Raptors tried to bring him in as veteran backup PG in Casey’s first year but Ollie happy moving to coaching. Raptors brought in Anthony Carter instead and, it didn’t really work out. Twitter @WolstatSun

Comment

Both New York and LA look like teams than are strongly possible to make a coaching change, Pistons for sure and I'm sure a few others. He'll have multiple suitors. If the LA job were offered, would he turn it down for the Raptor job?
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Now if you add "hire former OKC assistant who KD loves - check" to this list, shit gets real.
                        Matt, I love your enthusiasm man, but I think you get way too optimistic way too easily about the Raptors.
                        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                          Matt, I love your enthusiasm man, but I think you get way too optimistic way too easily about the Raptors.
                          Matt's just being sarcastic, lol.

He's one of the most "realistic" on the Forums, lol.

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                            Can't be bitter all the time.

phiLLy wrote: View Post
                            Matt's just being sarcastic, lol.

He's one of the most "realistic" on the Forums, lol.
                            Thank you. But not always. Oh my the days when I was the biggest fanboy of Colangelo and Bargnani are not that long ago.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              Just throwing it out there...
                              Raptors have hired WAY TOO MANY rookie Head Coaches - I'd vote for NEVER EVER do that again!

Let'em learn, prove themselves somewhere else first.
                              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                                Raptors have hired WAY TOO MANY rookie Head Coaches - I'd vote for NEVER EVER do that again!

Let'em learn, prove themselves somewhere else first.
                                Sometimes that's how you get a good coach though.

It's not easy to attract top level proven coaches.

I'd say a nice option is to try and build a strong staff, where one or two assistants have shown promise to maybe one day be a head coach. It can be hard to replace a head coach with one of his assistants, but it can also be a good option. Off the top of my head, that's how Brooks, Stan Van Gundy, and Vogel all landed their jobs. I think Toronto is actually doing a good job of this at the moment. Our staff as a whole seems a bit stronger this year, and I think that's a big positive.

*Some people complain Casey doesn't get enough credit, but I think regardless, he'd be the first one to say the whole staff deserves a lot of credit and the guys supporting him this year have done a great job.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Apr 10, 2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X