Raps should hire Kevin Ollie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    My post was tongue-in-cheek, but "Mike Brown 2.0" seems harsh. Brooks has dome some very nice things on the defensive end.
    Maybe harsh, but the similarities are there. They were a 60 win team until LBJ jumped ship and Brown has done nothing since. Brooks has a stacked Roster but how good do you think he would be with Toronto's roster? I can tell you that Casey is getting a lot out of these guys for sure

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
      Raptors have hired WAY TOO MANY rookie Head Coaches - I'd vote for NEVER EVER do that again!

Let'em learn, prove themselves somewhere else first.
      Look at the coaches of the best teams in the NBA - Vogel, Popovich, Spoelstra, Brooks, Thibs, Mark Jackson etc. They were all rookie head coaches in the NBA. It's very rare for teams to let top level coaches go, Doc Rivers is the only one I can think of recently. (Depending how you feel about Hollins/Karl).

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
        Look at the coaches of the best teams in the NBA - Vogel, Popovich, Spoelstra, Brooks, Thibs, Mark Jackson etc. They were all rookie head coaches in the NBA. It's very rare for teams to let top level coaches go, Doc Rivers is the only one I can think of recently. (Depending how you feel about Hollins/Karl).
        I think Casey is just as good as the bolded.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Personally i think Casey sucks and would flip him for a young, bright coach like Ollie in a heartbeat.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

"but what about the playoffs MAN" is what i'm going to hear but i truly believe this season has been the perfect example of catching lightning in a bottle. literally everything that had to go right did, and i can think of many a time where Casey's hilarious Caseyisms cost us games we should have won. it's not like we've been slappin da bass with some of these weak teams.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think Ollie is just the flavor of the week/month. He's done a fantastic job with UConn, no doubt, but I don't think he's quite yet ready for an NBA job. I'd like to see him do it for a couple more years at UConn before I would hire him for an NBA job. Just my 2 cents on the matter...

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                I think Casey is just as good as the bolded.
                John Salmons thinks Casey is doing a fine job

TORONTO — Here is the list: Larry Brown, Randy Ayers, Chris Ford, Jim O’Brien, Maurice Cheeks, Eric Musselman, Reggie Theus, Kenny Natt, Vinny Del Negro, Scott Skiles, Paul Westphal, Keith Smart, Mike Malone, Dwane Casey

John Salmons is in his 12th year in the NBA, and he has played for 14 head coaches. Because of the volume, that means some have been good coaches and some have been bad. Some have had the respect of their players, and some have not.

The Raptors have yearned for that type of stability for years now. June 2004 was the last time a general manager and coach ascended to their positions at roughly the same time for the Raptors, when Rob Babcock and Sam Mitchell landed those jobs, respectively. Last year, it was clear that general manager Bryan Colangelo and Casey, the Raptors’ coach, disagreed on some rather essential points.

This year, it seemed like a lock for that pattern to continue. Colangelo was removed as general manager, replaced by Masai Ujiri, who was emboldened with a five-year contract. Ujiri retained Casey, but did not extend his contract, which ends after this season. The situation still looked like a petri dish capable of growing more organizational dysfunction.

“A lot of organizations don’t allow coaches to do certain things,” Salmons said. When asked if that included setting a team’s rotation, Salmons nodded. “In this organization, they give [Casey] a lot of leeway to coach. Players see that and know that he’s got the back of the organization and they have to fall in line.

“All year he’s been trying to build for this moment. He was always looking at the bigger picture. Even when we were in the middle of making our run, he always had the bigger picture in mind … He gave us something to shoot for.”

“You can tell if a coach is saying one thing and don’t really mean it or saying one thing and doing something different,” Salmons said. “That’s when players tend to lose respect for coaches. With [Casey], what you see is what you get. Straightforward, tell you how it is.

“Players want honestly. Just tell me what you want or what I’m not doing. You know what I’m saying? Just let me know. Don’t just hang me in the wind not knowing. I think they do a good job of that here. That’s a big deal.”
                Full article from Koreen
                http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...ns-would-know/

Comment

Salmons sucks and knows he has an option he'll want the team to pickup
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    Salmons sucks and knows he has an option he'll want the team to pickup
                    I just posted it for the heck of it...

But Salmons saying good things about the coach has no impact whatsoever on whether they pick up his option. Masai isn't sitting at his desk going "Man, Salmons really likes what Casey's done, we better pay him $7M dollars next year to keep him around".

The reporter clearly asked Salmons specifically about Casey, and Salmons gave his 2 cents. That is all.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      Personally i think Casey sucks and would flip him for a young, bright coach like Ollie in a heartbeat.
                      But what more is Ollie going to do for this team?

Win more games with this roster? - it seems like Casey's overachieved

Develop our players better? - they're already coming along REALLY well
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Deliver Durant!

I say this semi joking!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Deliver Durant!

I say this semi joking!
                          If hiring Ollie can give us a 50% shot at Durant - I'd be more than happy to take that coin flip.

Sadly, it's probably much lower than that
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Apparently for some people, winning games AND developing young talent isn't good enough

Comment

wallz wrote: View Post
                              Apparently for some people, winning games AND developing young talent isn't good enough
                              I mean, I understand where they're coming from. I often find myself questioning his moves, and his call not to foul late in that game was definitely not wise.

It's just - and I've been trumpeting this for a while now - first off, I think there are very few coaches who aren't criticized by fans, and secondly, we don't know enough about what's going on in the locker room, at practice, or have access to proprietary team analytics, to be able to make as informed a judgement as Casey.

As a fan, I have a hard time looking past the results, because while those don't paint the whole picture, they're by far the most clear part.
                              "Bruno?
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

wallz wrote: View Post
                                what young talent are we developing exactly?
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X