Thread: Everything Masai Ujiri

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Everything Masai Ujiri

A summary of Masai Ujiri's 2013-2014 moves with the Toronto Raptors:

July 10, 2013: Traded Andrea Bargnani to the New York Knicks for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, a 2014 2nd round draft pick, a 2016 1st round draft pick and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.

July 15, 2013: Signed Tyler Hansbrough as a free agent.

July 16, 2013: Signed Dwight Buycks as a free agent.

July 22, 2013: Signed D.J. Augustin as a free agent.

August 1, 2013: Signed Austin Daye as a free agent.

September 19, 2013: Signed Julyan Stone as a free agent.

December 9, 2013: Traded Quincy Acy, Rudy Gay and Aaron Gray to the Sacramento Kings for Chuck Hayes, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Greivis Vasquez.

February 20, 2014: Traded Austin Daye to the San Antonio Spurs for Nando de Colo.

I mean, so far this guy's done a great job. Only negative was signing/waiving Augustin, but that's a minor mistake.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I mean, so far this guy's done a great job. Only negative was signing/waiving Augustin, but that's a minor mistake.
    Was thinking the same. But with Vasquez around, it's worked out well.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I would add retaining Casey as a good decision as well when the consensus in fandom probably leaned towards change.

I was actually surprised he just waived/bought out Augustin rather than able to trade him. Maybe it was a favour to him or an understanding when he signed.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any problem with how the Augustin situation played out. They signed him for peanuts. It didn't work. They waived him and both parties are better off for it.

And I feel like it's pretty likely he was consulted before being waived. Like:
    MU: "DJ, things aren't working as we'd hoped. Would you agree?"
    DJ: "Yes"
    MU: "We could waive another guy and keep you around, but you'd be a 3rd stringer probably. Would you like that or rather we waive you and you get a fresh chance somewhere else?"
    DJ: "Waive me. I want the chance to play somewhere and prove myself."
    MU: "Done"

5. Like stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

7. Like stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Couple of things to take away from this:

1. basically confirmed that he was ready to blow the team up if this team didn't perform well

2. wants to keep Casey "100%"

9. Like stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love a good conspiracy so... regarding the DJ situation, I wonder if that signing was another move towards trying to lure Durant in 2016.. he didn't work out (never got much playing time and when he did he didn't really do much) but I wonder if that thought was there in MU's mind when he went after him in the first place.

KD and DJ played together in Texas in his only year in college.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote wallz wrote: View Post

1. basically confirmed that he was ready to blow the team up if this team didn't perform well

He does sound very high on Casey. I'd be very, very surprised to see him walk barring a first round playoff sweep AND Lowry walking.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    Oh my.

The bit on Casey and the camera goes to Casey coaching, on the bottom: "2nd year coach" Ummmmm, NBA? He is in his 3rd year with Toronto.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

July 10, 2013: Traded Andrea Bargnani to the New York Knicks for Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, a 2014 2nd round draft pick, a 2016 1st round draft pick and a 2017 2nd round draft pick.

July 15, 2013: Signed Tyler Hansbrough as a free agent.

July 16, 2013: Signed Dwight Buycks as a free agent.

July 22, 2013: Signed D.J. Augustin as a free agent.

August 1, 2013: Signed Austin Daye as a free agent.

September 19, 2013: Signed Julyan Stone as a free agent.

December 9, 2013: Traded Quincy Acy, Rudy Gay and Aaron Gray to the Sacramento Kings for Chuck Hayes, Patrick Patterson, John Salmons and Greivis Vasquez.

February 20, 2014: Traded Austin Daye to the San Antonio Spurs for Nando de Colo.

Don't know if I would say a great job. The Andrea trade was a decent haul and he traded Rudy(a more talented player) for pieces that are less talented but fit better.

Core of the team is still primarily BC acquisitions. When he can start bringing in players better than the one's that were already here, I would say he is doing a great job. Until then, i'd call it an adequate performance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote wallz wrote: View Post

The 1st part is a concern to me. If the team didn't work out well he was going to blow it up. It's worked out well for them for 2/3rd's of a season. Does this now mean that this is the direction the team should go in based on less than a full season?

that sounds less like an actual plan and more like going with the flow. If the raps don't perform well next year would that mean another change of direction is in order?

Still waiting to see what clear vision the management team has. Are you trying to win championships as you said when you came aboard or is it about making playoffs year to year? Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Don't know if I would say a great job. The Andrea trade was a decent haul and he traded Rudy(a more talented player) for pieces that are less talented but fit better.

Core of the team is still primarily BC acquisitions. When he can start bringing in players better than the one's that were already here, I would say he is doing a great job. Until then, i'd call it an adequate performance.
    Both trades were great, as they freed up cap for the team, and minutes and shots for JV and TRoss.

It also provided us with future draft picks, and a bench.

Since the trade, Raptors have had a lot better chemistry and have gone from sucking to third place in the East and division leader (soon to be winner).
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree than BC deserves way more respect for this team than he's getting...he was a quick trigger man that made some brutal mistakes (the euro movement, Bargnani, TJ Ford & Hibbert for O'neal, Hedo, Fields contract) BUT he was the man that drafted JV, Ross & Derozan (and signed him to a steal of n extension), Signed & extended Amir, traded for Lowry & hired coach Casey. this core of this team is still him, what Masai did was all the stuff BC couldn't like finally let go & move on from Bargnani, get cap relief, draft picks & a solid bench around the core.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Should also be noted that MU forced the firing (I belieive) of the old assitant coaches and hiring of the new ones. Not sure if they were responsible for news leaks with Toronto, but news doesn't seem to leak out of the locker/office so easily anymore.

18. Like ebrian, OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I would add retaining Casey as a good decision as well when the consensus in fandom probably leaned towards change.

I was actually surprised he just waived/bought out Augustin rather than able to trade him. Maybe it was a favour to him or an understanding when he signed.
    He didn't have a choice. The trade with the Kings brought back an extra player and they had to make space asap. They didn't have time to explore a trade.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    He didn't have a choice. The trade with the Kings brought back an extra player and they had to make space asap. They didn't have time to explore a trade.
    ? He could have let either Buycks or Stone (both pg) go.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    ? He could have let either Buycks or Stone (both pg) go.
    Again, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in consultation with Augustin. I'm sure they would've waived Buycks or Stone (or Daye) if it came to that. But given Vasquez was clearly going to take the backup PG spot, and Augustin probably felt like he needed a chance to prove himself, waiving him so he could sign elsewhere was good for both parties.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Think about it .. if BC pulled the Harden trade, he could have persuaded Durant to come to Toronto as well

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree, the bottom line is if the team under him is winning then that is what counts in the end, sure he can get better pieces but that doesn't always translate to wins.

Being a GM is a bit like being the a politician in a high position (think Prime Minister), if the economy is doing well you will get the accolades and if the economy tanks then its your fault. Both scenarios could transpire even if you do a good job because outside forces will influence the economy not only your own policies and sometimes single events can make you or destroy you. In BC case drafting Bargnani and letting Bosh walk were probably the two biggest downfalls of his administration in which he couldn't recover (with the right moves ie drafting Aldridge and trading Bosh maybe the Raptors wouldv'e looked similar to Portland today and he would still be a GM). In Massai case the two moves of trading Bargnani and Gay for effective bench players and thus creating the vacuum for more shots and plays caused this team to grow even though they could have falter.

Thread Information