Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Chris Webber respecting the Raptors

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Why would the 3rd seed mean any more to Toronto then it would to Chicago? Nobody wants miami in the 2nd round, that 3rd seed is huge for both teams.
    Disagree with that. Chicago is a vet team and have played well against everybody. Toronto hasn't beaten miami in something lie 4 years.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thinking about a potential matchup vs. Charlotte brought back memories of this dunk:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeHQab_lRDw

    It would be great to make it to the 2nd round. That would be only the 2nd time in franchise history that the Raptors have done so. Honestly though, I do not want a repeat of 2007, when we were the 3rd seed and got knocked out by VC and the Nets.

    We have definitely earned the 3rd seed this season, but we need to play like a third seeded team. The Raptors have one of the best records in the NBA in 2014, and we have taken down some top tier opponents. However, the postseason is a different breed of basketball. This is where legends really become legends, where the real stars shine brightest, and where a long season of supposed learning, growth, and team work are tested.

    You guys are right. Be it Charlotte, be it Washington, be it Brooklyn, lets not get too ahead of ourselves by anticipating a 2nd round series. Lets focus on casting our reputation of being a legitimate team in stone. That definitely means taking care of business in the first round, and giving the Heat/Pacers or whomever it is we face in the 2nd round a good fight. (Maybe even the series W).
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."


    Demar Derozan

  3. Like 2KJ liked this post
  4. #43
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,707
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Brooklyn will get ALL the help in the world, you can count on that. The NBA has much to gain when an NYC based team makes the later rounds. They generate so much bullshit media and fluff to feed the masses it isn't funny. Whoever get Brooklyn first is gonna have to really, really go hard.

    toronto, well they are the ugly stepchild, and I hope they know it, and use it as fuel.

  5. Like Hotshot liked this post
  6. #44
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    Don't look now but Indy reclaimed top spot in EC tonight. Since everyone seems to be looking to the 2nd round already (foolishly), would you rather play BKN to avoid MIA if they stay in 2nd place?
    It's not foolish at all to be looking at the 2nd round. It's like Chess, it you want to win you need to think several moves ahead. Sure, we may not make the 2nd round, but we shouldn't wait to think about it until we're there, especially since we're just fans shooting the shit on a forum.

    Logic and experience this season says that "if" we make the 2nd round, Indiana is by far a better matchup for us than the Heat. Therefore, it'd be foolish to not try and position ourselves for the easiest road to the NBA finals. Not that we have much choice in positioning, other than holding onto the 3 seed, the only thing that is exclusively in our control.

  7. #45
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    respect - a raptors fan's wet dream

  8. Like Nilanka liked this post
  9. #46
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    It's not foolish at all to be looking at the 2nd round. It's like Chess, it you want to win you need to think several moves ahead. Sure, we may not make the 2nd round, but we shouldn't wait to think about it until we're there, especially since we're just fans shooting the shit on a forum.

    Logic and experience this season says that "if" we make the 2nd round, Indiana is by far a better matchup for us than the Heat. Therefore, it'd be foolish to not try and position ourselves for the easiest road to the NBA finals. Not that we have much choice in positioning, other than holding onto the 3 seed, the only thing that is exclusively in our control.
    My point is that most people here are thinking that a first round victory is a sure thing. I'm not a pessimist, but a realist. Disagree about your chess comparison. In chess you have the ability to manipulate your opponent in order to position yourself better for future moves. The Raptors cannot influence what happens in a series they aren't playing in. Focus needs to be one series at a time, one game at a time, one quarter, one play etc. This concept is heavily studied in athletics and elite performance.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

    @clericalbeats

  10. #47
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Brooklyn will get ALL the help in the world, you can count on that. The NBA has much to gain when an NYC based team makes the later rounds. They generate so much bullshit media and fluff to feed the masses it isn't funny. Whoever get Brooklyn first is gonna have to really, really go hard.

    toronto, well they are the ugly stepchild, and I hope they know it, and use it as fuel.
    100% agree. Not a favourable matchup for Toronto, due to the high-profile franchise factor. That said, nothing would be sweeter then sending the geezers to the retirement home early.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

    @clericalbeats

  11. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    My point is that most people here are thinking that a first round victory is a sure thing. I'm not a pessimist, but a realist. Disagree about your chess comparison. In chess you have the ability to manipulate your opponent in order to position yourself better for future moves. The Raptors cannot influence what happens in a series they aren't playing in. Focus needs to be one series at a time, one game at a time, one quarter, one play etc. This concept is heavily studied in athletics and elite performance.
    Nobody here thinks it's a sure thing. Everyone is clearly terrified of playing Brooklyn because you just know the refs will be trying hard to give them the series. Everyone is similarly terrified of Miami. Everyone looking at round 2 isn't saying the 1st round is a sure thing, but we will be the favorite in the 1st round (against Charlotte or Washington), so it's not too presumptuous to think we'll make the 2nd, and therefore wanna discuss possible matchups.

    We're still being realistic. Nobody is talking about NBA Finals matchups because we know that's not realistic. Your argument is akin to rooting for a team in the NCAA tournament, but refusing to look over the bracket and picture a way through the region into the Final 4. It's just not realistic, we're fans, we wanna think "what if".

    If we were the 8 seed playing Miami in the 1st round, then yeah, it would be fucking stupid to be looking at 2nd round matchups. But fact is we're going to be the favorite in our 1st round match, which is a feeling many of us have never felt, hence why you might be so averse to looking at round 2. It's ok. You can be a little bit confident in the Raptors now.
    Last edited by Primer; Thu Apr 10th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.

  12. #49
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    hollinger has us having a higher chance to get to the finals and win the championship than the pacers.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds
    Only way is for someone else to knock off Heat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •