Kings of the 4th Quarter: Raps 33-2 when leading after 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings of the 4th Quarter: Raps 33-2 when leading after 3

So on top of being #1 in the League in 4th Quarter scoring, I heard Matt say during the 76ers game that the Raps are 33-2 when leading after 3. Wasn't sure if much had been made of this stat, but I think it says ALOT about the kind of group we have here.

As a long time Raptors fan, for years I've never been comfortable with a lead. Ever.
    We could be by 20 and it would usually be gone by half time...
    Or up 10-15 going into the 4th and it's erased just minutes into the quarter ... any long time Raps fan knows what I'm talking about ... so the fact that this team is 33-2 when leading after 3 Quarters is Remarkable, to say the least.
    Being able to play with a lead is, according to Casey (and he's not the first to say it), the hardest thing to do. So to be able to carry a record like that into the playoffs is big time in my opinion.

Not to mention, the Raptors are #1 in 4th Quarter scoring as well, are they not?

These are the kinds of things you want going into the Playoffs. A team who knows how to play when the pressure is on.

Any idea how the rest of the league fairs in this stat? I would assume every team has a healthy winning percentage when they go into the 4th with a lead, so I'm not sure exactly how impressed with the Raptors I should be. It'd also be interesting to know how the Raptors did in years past. My memory says we blew lots of 4th quarter leads, but I truly don't know how many.

There should be a website of all the random stats they pull out during games. I'd use it all the time.

Comment

you literally play an entirely different game when you're in the lead vs. when you're not. raptors this season have done really well in these pressure situations.

the team embodies everything good and bad that people expect from a young group thats never been in the playoffs.

GOOD:
      - potentially reaching a franchise high in wins
      - birthing an all-star a long time in the making that NO ONE expected at all
      - DUI? more like CAREER HIGH
      - T Ross went from 1st year trade fodder to one of our best defensive anchors on the team and with consistent minutes comes consistent performance
      - super surprising bench upgrade that most people including me thought were just scrubs joining the team to help tank
      - dwayne casey with COTM and now running for COTY??? ridiculous

BAD:
      - i don't even want to start as this list is just as long if not longer. i'm sure all of you have had heard every criticism thus far

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
        you literally play an entirely different game when you're in the lead vs. when you're not. raptors this season have done really well in these pressure situations.

the team embodies everything good and bad that people expect from a young group thats never been in the playoffs.

GOOD:
        - potentially reaching a franchise high in wins
        - birthing an all-star a long time in the making that NO ONE expected at all
        - DUI? more like CAREER HIGH
        - T Ross went from 1st year trade fodder to one of our best defensive anchors on the team and with consistent minutes comes consistent performance
        - super surprising bench upgrade that most people including me thought were just scrubs joining the team to help tank
        - dwayne casey with COTM and now running for COTY??? ridiculous

BAD:
        - i don't even want to start as this list is just as long if not longer. i'm sure all of you have had heard every criticism thus far
        Brah I have been saying derozan is an all star since forever, I said derozan and gay could be all stars in the beginning of the year. I guess I was bang on with one of those.
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
          Brah I have been saying derozan is an all star since forever, I said derozan and gay could be all stars in the beginning of the year. I guess I was bang on with one of those.
          well if you've been saying derozan is an all star since forever then you've been wrong the whole time. hes been pretty bad overall until post-gay trade.

Comment

Here's the only site I know of that has fourth quarter +/-, which to me is more important than 4th quarter scoring.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat...quarter-margin

And here's what's really impressive: going back to 2003-04, these are the teams to finish with a 4th quarter +/- better than 2.0:

Toronto, 2014 (2.6) - current
            Portland, 2009 (2.5) - 1st round
            Miami, 2013 (2.2) - champion
            San Antonio, 2014 (2.1) - current
            New York, 2013 (2.1) - 2nd round
            Chicago, 2011 (2.1) - 3rd round
            Cleveland, 2007 (2.1) - finals
            Chicago, 2012 (2.0) - 1st round (Rose/Noah injuries)
            Cleveland, 2009 (2.0) - 3rd round
            Utah, 2007 (2.0) - 3rd round
            Toronto, 2005 (2.0) - missed playoffs
            Miami, 2005 (2.0) - 3rd round

That is all. That's right, this team might just finish as the top fourth-quarter team of the last decade.

edit: updated with playoff performance of each of these teams. There's decent correlation here to playoff success, with 6 of the 10 teams (prior to this year) getting to the third round, and another one probably a 3rd round team had they not suffered catastrophic injuries.
            Last edited by octothorp; Thu Apr 10, 2014, 06:51 PM.

Comment

well if you've been saying derozan is an all star since forever then you've been wrong the whole time. hes been pretty bad overall until post-gay trade.
              That is the thing with blind optimism and a strong dose of homerism.

You'll be wrong forever and, like a broke clock, eventually you'll be right and the times you were wrong *poof* never happened.

How many people here who have been saying how great DeRozan would be all along said the same about Ed Davis, as an example.

There is a strong tendency as fans to only see the good and expect full potential to be realized.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with that. Cynicism and pessimism is pretty depressing - especially in long, strong doses..

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                Here's the only site I know of that has fourth quarter +/-, which to me is more important than 4th quarter scoring.

And here's what's really impressive: going back to 2003-04, these are the teams to finish with a 4th quarter +/- better than 2.0:

That is all. That's right, this team might just finish as the top fourth-quarter team of the last decade.

edit: updated with playoff performance of each of these teams. There's decent correlation here to playoff success, with 6 of the 10 teams (prior to this year) getting to the third round, and another one probably a 3rd round team had they not suffered catastrophic injuries.
                So the Raptors are the only team in the last decade that had a fourth quarter +/- above 2 and didn't make the playoffs?

Wow, all these accolades.
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post

Wow ... This makes my Kings of the 4th Quarter even MORE relevant... thanks man!! Hah

Comment

I was saying he could be potentially, I thought the same for gay. I actually really wanted the combo to work out just to prove everybody else wrong. If you look at gay though, he still looks the part of an all star, just doesn't/did perform like one. Think 6'9 230 lb, athletic monster. I'd want that guy on my team until I learn he's gay
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

33-2 after 3 Q's is impressive no matter what way you look at it. I almost sharted my pants when I heard Devlin mention this the other day. It also means they've came back from 13 4th Q deficits to win, also impressive I think.

Comment

I love... LOOOVE.... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this team.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                          I was saying he could be potentially, I thought the same for gay. I actually really wanted the combo to work out just to prove everybody else wrong. If you look at gay though, he still looks the part of an all star, just doesn't/did perform like one. Think 6'9 230 lb, athletic monster. I'd want that guy on my team until I learn he's gay
                          ????

No idea how rudy "looks the part of an all star" by describing height and weight. You're basically saying half the NBA look like all stars then.

Comment

Rudy's problem is that he doesn't play smart. If he played smart he could be awesome but that will never happen.
                            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                              Rudy's problem is that he doesn't play smart. If he played smart he could be awesome but that will never happen.

Phil Jackson could probably make him a great player, thibedaeu as well (I know I spelt that wrong)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X