Kings of the 4th Quarter: Raps 33-2 when leading after 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

octothorp wrote: View Post
    Here's the only site I know of that has fourth quarter +/-, which to me is more important than 4th quarter scoring.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat...quarter-margin

And here's what's really impressive: going back to 2003-04, these are the teams to finish with a 4th quarter +/- better than 2.0:

Toronto, 2014 (2.6) - current
    Portland, 2009 (2.5) - 1st round
    Miami, 2013 (2.2) - champion
    San Antonio, 2014 (2.1) - current
    New York, 2013 (2.1) - 2nd round
    Chicago, 2011 (2.1) - 3rd round
    Cleveland, 2007 (2.1) - finals
    Chicago, 2012 (2.0) - 1st round (Rose/Noah injuries)
    Cleveland, 2009 (2.0) - 3rd round
    Utah, 2007 (2.0) - 3rd round
    Toronto, 2005 (2.0) - missed playoffs
    Miami, 2005 (2.0) - 3rd round

That is all. That's right, this team might just finish as the top fourth-quarter team of the last decade.

edit: updated with playoff performance of each of these teams. There's decent correlation here to playoff success, with 6 of the 10 teams (prior to this year) getting to the third round, and another one probably a 3rd round team had they not suffered catastrophic injuries.
    Nice work Octo. Hey, who knows how it goes from here.

Comment

Spurs have a crazy record with lead going into 4th. It was mentioned against Dallas last night, but I can't remember exactly...something like 40-1 or 50-1, and you can add another win to that now too.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
        Spurs have a crazy record with lead going into 4th. It was mentioned against Dallas last night, but I can't remember exactly...something like 40-1 or 50-1, and you can add another win to that now too.
        It helps when you're usually up 20 going into the 4th

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          So on top of being #1 in the League in 4th Quarter scoring, I heard Matt say during the 76ers game that the Raps are 33-2 when leading after 3. Wasn't sure if much had been made of this stat, but I think it says ALOT about the kind of group we have here.

As a long time Raptors fan, for years I've never been comfortable with a lead. Ever.
          We could be by 20 and it would usually be gone by half time...
          Or up 10-15 going into the 4th and it's erased just minutes into the quarter ... any long time Raps fan knows what I'm talking about ... so the fact that this team is 33-2 when leading after 3 Quarters is Remarkable, to say the least.
          Being able to play with a lead is, according to Casey (and he's not the first to say it), the hardest thing to do. So to be able to carry a record like that into the playoffs is big time in my opinion.

Not to mention, the Raptors are #1 in 4th Quarter scoring as well, are they not?

These are the kinds of things you want going into the Playoffs. A team who knows how to play when the pressure is on.
          I love that stat. I am still a little concerned about DC's play calling in last two minutes.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
            I love that stat. I am still a little concerned about DC's play calling in last two minutes.
            This was actually something that came to mind for me as well. For all the flack I give the guy, we're a Top-10 Offensive AND Defensive Team. That sort of thing is reserved for Elite Teams... with Miami, OKC, Clippers and Spurs as the only other teams to be both Top-10 in both Catergories.
            Add in the fact that we are an even BETTER team in the 4th Quarter, and it makes me feel good.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              ????

No idea how rudy "looks the part of an all star" by describing height and weight. You're basically saying half the NBA look like all stars then.
              Usually guys who are athletic and drop 20 on any given night are considered pretty good. And name some 6'9 230lb players who you mentioned are 'half the NBA.' Remember gay plays small forward not powerforward
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                Phil Jackson could probably make him a great player, thibedaeu as well (I know I spelt that wrong)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                The bulls would be smart to try to pick up Rudy. Thibs might actually turn him into what everyone expects him to be

Comment

How is this in any way a Rudy thread? Lol C'mon guys.

Comment

How is this in any way a Rudy thread? Lol C'mon guys.
                    well that escalated quickly
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

This was actually something that came to mind for me as well. For all the flack I give the guy, we're a Top-10 Offensive AND Defensive Team. That sort of thing is reserved for Elite Teams... with Miami, OKC, Clippers and Spurs as the only other teams to be both Top-10 in both Catergories.
                      Add in the fact that we are an even BETTER team in the 4th Quarter, and it makes me feel good.
                      Well to be fair, we WERE top 10 defense earlier in the season. We have actually significantly dropped off from the top 10 while all our main competition except the Nets have all been pretty consistent. Wizards, bobcats and obviously bulls are top 10 defense in the past 10 games. We've dropped down to something like 17th or something.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        Well to be fair, we WERE top 10 defense earlier in the season. We have actually significantly dropped off from the top 10 while all our main competition except the Nets have all been pretty consistent. Wizards, bobcats and obviously bulls are top 10 defense in the past 10 games. We've dropped down to something like 17th or something.
                        Nah, we're 20th or so over the past month, but cumulatively, we are still top 10 or 11. Prior to the last month we were floating close to 4th for a while.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Some more impressive 4th Quarter stats, as shown on tonight's game:

-1st in Points Allowed
                          -4th in Turnovers
                          -1st in Opp. FG%
                          -1st in second chance points
                          -3rd in FTA

Comment

Damn.....
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Just wanted to bump this thread, because I really do think this has been the defining trait of the team this season, and it's a trait that not only wins you a lot of games but it's also a trait that demonstrates character. For a group of young players, it's a great sign for the future, and hopefully something that they can carry over to next year, however this season ends and whoever is here next year.

All the narrative in the media right now is about how surprising it was to see the Raptors look like the more poised team down the stretch than the Nets, while nobody acknowledges that this is exactly who the Raptors have been all season. (After reading probably two dozen post-game recaps, I think RR's own Garrett Hinchey was the only writer who mentioned the Raptors' regular season 4th quarter prowess.) Granted, doing it in the playoffs, on the road, with injuries and foul trouble against a veteran team is particularly impressive, but it didn't exactly come out-of-the-blue. This reminded me a lot of the Indiana New Years game: get the early lead, give it away quickly, grind it out through the third and early fourth, and then pick up the defensive intensity midway through the fourth and make the other guys struggle to score a field goal through the last six minutes.

I said at the beginning of the year that clutch play was the main thing I was going to be looking for to evaluate the Raptors this year, after they were the worst clutch team in the league last year. Based on that criteria, this season is already a tremendous success, more than I ever could have expected. Yeah, there are still problems with their frequent lapses in focus, a talent level that's not on par with the elite teams, and general inconsistency throughout the roster. Not everything was going to get fixed this year, and it won't all get fixed next year. But it's a big first step.

Comment

Working...
                              X