Suspect "help" defense from the PG/Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect "help" defense from the PG/Wings

I think a huge problem with our perimeter defense is our desire to help our bigs inside.

Example: Today vs. Atlanta, Jose cheats off his man inside to go "help" Reggie, who is holding Horford very well about 12+ feet from the rim.

This is useless. What help can Jose possibly hope to provide here? In my opinion, Horford is not much of a threat handling the ball this far out, and Reggie was doing an EXCELLENT job of keeping Al in front of him.

Jose's only hope of providing ACTUAL assistance is forcing a turnover by trapping Al (which won't happen, as Horford will just pass over Calderon to Bibby), or getting a lucky steal by having active hands in the passing lane (very unlikely).

Pretty low percentage help. Meanwhile, we get torched from the 3.

All of our wings do this- we go in to help at times when we really don't NEED to, and it frees up the (now) open threes.

What's the reasoning? I don't get it.

Scott.
    Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

my guess is they don't want anything inside both from the bigs and from the wings. thus they help (and did a good job protecting the paint). but then that means they have to rotate faster on the pass, and that's where we get torched. happened too many times this season already.

atlanta was hot tonight on the outside, even contested threes and jumpers (crawford) were going in, which won't happen everytime.

we got lucky, but that's because we hustled right to the end.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...317/daily-dime

it helps having a big man wo can rove around protecting the paint

Comment

Jose has got to go. I'm tired of his needless help defense....we don't need it.

Comment

Working...
        X