Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grantland: Is Terrence Ross Ready to Make the Playoff Leap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantland: Is Terrence Ross Ready to Make the Playoff Leap?

Last year, Harrison Barnes, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, and Paul George put on spellbinding, ceiling-raising postseason performances. They made The Playoff Leap. This was small-sample-size theater taking place on the biggest stage. That quartet of players has gone on to varying degrees of success and regression this season, but they all have one thing in common: They made their names in the playoffs.

This year, Toronto Raptors swingman Terrence Ross is the ideal candidate to join them. Ross has already mastered his role as sidekick to the sidekick on one of the league’s most enjoyable teams, and now he’s ready for more. His diverse skill set fills every moment with boundless excitement. His potential to energize everyone watching is enormous. If Ross makes a leap, it’ll fill the edges of nearly every conversation held by NBA aficionados throughout the offseason. And it’s something you won’t want to miss.

This all is wonderful, but not all he’s good for. Ross is a monster in transition, equally lethal spotting up for 3s (44.8 percent on 67 attempts, per Synergy) as he is absorbing contact with a strong finish at the rim — that or slithering past a defender with his liquefied Euro-step.

Ross has a below-average PER, doesn’t rebound or get to the free throw line, and the Raptors are slightly better on defense when he sits. But good all-around play in the playoffs will temporarily blanket those flaws. We don’t yet know whom Toronto will match up against in the first round, and that stuff obviously matters (see: Barnes, Harrison), but sometimes it feels like Ross’s bubbling talent will render whoever’s guarding him irrelevant. (He wants the Brooklyn Nets, for the record.)
    Looks like a good read...
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/is...-playoff-leap/

interesting that they're better on D when he's out, never would have thought that.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

It's always a "good read" when an independent is pumping up a Raptor

Does Grantland ever have a badly written article?

Why cant we have one of our bb scribes on the major dailies write something like that once in a way?

Comment

I was shocked to see this article, not because it's about the Raptors but because if it was about the Raptors then I'd expect it to be about DeRozan/Lowry/Johnson or the team as a whole.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          interesting that they're better on D when he's out, never would have thought that.
          Significantly so. About 108 DRTG with him and 100.5 DRTG without since the trade.

He's been better lately though - since Mar 1st, it's more like a 4 point swing than an 8 point one.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            Significantly so. About 108 DRTG with him and 100.5 DRTG without since the trade.

He's been better lately though - since Mar 1st, it's more like a 4 point swing than an 8 point one.
            My only interpretation of this would be that Ross is still learning team D.

He's got the effort and the on ball skills.

Maybe there is a reason Casey plays Salmons.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

One thing I think gets overlooked, and the article does a good job of mentioning, is the fact Ross knows when to curl off the screen or when to fade to the corner for the 3 depending on where the defender is. That's a big component of allowing him to actually get off a good look.

Comment

Random, but nowhere else to put it: Corey Brewer is close to pulling off a Ross. 49 points with 2 minutes to go now. (Wolves - Rockets)

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                  Random, but nowhere else to put it: Corey Brewer is close to pulling off a Ross. 49 points with 2 minutes to go now. (Wolves - Rockets)
                  He's taken a million shots though ahahah
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Great article. Honestly, having T Ross blow up in the postseason would be wonderful.

Honestly, he is a shooting guard, and as much as I hate to say it, if trading Derozan means we can bring in a strong SF and ultimately help this team achieve more,then by all means, it should be done.

I personally think Deng would be a solid fit. That is, of course, until Durant comes and takes his spot
                    I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                    -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      51 on 30 shots, pretty nice. I wonder who was guarding him

Nice article, can tell the author watches a ton of raptors games if he's noticing the glimpses Ross has on the PnR and how soft his touch is on floaters and short jumpers near the rim.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                        51 on 30 shots, pretty nice. I wonder who was guarding him

Nice article, can tell the author watches a ton of raptors games if he's noticing the glimpses Ross has on the PnR and how soft his touch is on floaters and short jumpers near the rim.
                        The Great James Harden
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

30 shots? That's not much at all for 51 points. You want to see an inefficient 51 point game, look here:
                          http://www.databasebasketball.com/te...0010105&tm=sac

Comment

The Great James Harden
                            Jokes aside, Harden has actually been playing pretty decent defense since the all star game. He's now their best perimeter defender after Beverley went down. Chandler Parsons is the bigger problem.

Comment

Do we finally have a nickname for t Ross?
                              "It’s exactly how Spider-Man would defend, if Spider-Man were real and played basketball."

Comment

Working...
                              X