Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Executive of the Year? Who gets it?

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Has EoY ever been awarded to the executive of a team that didn't make the playoffs?

I just scanned the list of past winners, and from my memory all the recent ones were playoff teams.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Wed Apr 16th, 2014 at 09:24 AM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still convinced that MacDonagh was trying to make the Suns as bad as possible this year. And to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that Ujiri wasn't trying to position himself for a top five draft slot when he swung the Rudy Gay deal. I find it a little ironic that these two seem to be the consensus finalists for the Executive of the Year award.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The haul for Bargnani has to be factored in as well.

Phoenix will likely get some attention as well, for bringing in Dragic and having so much unexpected success (would be top-4 in the EC), while also being extremely well positioned for the future (multiple 1st round picks in multiple years, as well as a ton of cap space). Maybe a consolation prize, of sorts?
    I don't think suprised seasons like what the Suns and Raps should get any consideration .. The Raps starting Five is previous GM's work and so how can Masai get the nod ?

I do think the Spurs GM should be considered ... Everything he touches seems to work out ..

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I can't see McDonough getting it. Not since he clearly tried to tank as hard as anybody. Hornacek deserves most of the credit there.

Who's running Washington? He could be a contender.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Why would McDonough not get credit for their success? Last time I checked it was him who brought in Bledsoe. Who made an early season trade of Scola for Gerald Green and Plumlee? Both players were huge contributors for them this season. Got rid of Gortat for another draft pick that gives them 4 1st round picks in a deep, deep draft.

I think McDonough deserves a whole lot of respect for getting players that fit Hornacek's system. He gets that award hands down in my books.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=white men can't jump;320306]I can't see McDonough getting it. Not since he clearly tried to tank as hard as anybody. Hornacek deserves most of the credit there.

Who's running Washington? He could be a contender.

Masai said he didn't know which way the team would go after trading Rudy. Should he not get respect for what has happened since or did he just luck out so what he did is more a product of Casey than himself?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    I'm still convinced that MacDonagh was trying to make the Suns as bad as possible this year. And to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that Ujiri wasn't trying to position himself for a top five draft slot when he swung the Rudy Gay deal. I find it a little ironic that these two seem to be the consensus finalists for the Executive of the Year award.
    I have not heard any comments from Phoenix GM.

However Masai has said, and been very open about it, that the way the team came together was luck on his end. He was preparing for the team to succeed or to fail. That is why there were so many rumours out there about Raptor dealings - he was talking and discussing with other teams in the event they sucked. Personally I think he had the expectation they would suck and is just as surprised as everyone else.

I find that level of humility and honesty refreshing.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I can't see McDonough getting it. Not since he clearly tried to tank as hard as anybody. Hornacek deserves most of the credit there.
    McDonough traded away older pieces that weren't part of the future for youngsters and picks. Those moves and direction made sense either way, tank or no tank. They have a very good young team with a lot of assets now. Also, who deserves credit for finding Hornacek?

I think it would be wrong to vote against him just because he's actually better at finding talent than maybe even he expected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information