Thread: Masai Ujiri on Jim Rome

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Masai Ujiri on Jim Rome

Masai on today with Rome.

All Topics: Atlantic Division Champions banner | Being named NBA Executive of the Year in Denver | Bigger challenge in Toronto for him | Working in Toronto before | Changes | Rudy Gay trade | Finding chemistry after the Gay trade | Kyle Lowry | Lowry off the court | His story | Being from Northern Nigeria | His goal was to be an NBA scout | Getting an opportunity with the Orlando Magic | Meeting with Nelson Mandela |

Source - Click here to listen

2. Like Letter N, chch166 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie buckets's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

can we infer from this that Masai believes Kyle is now a 8-9 million dollar player? lol
    "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

UM on Rome = press getting ready to give him an award.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rome: What did it mean to you to see banner in rafters last night?

Masai (paraphrased): "To be honest, I wasn't at the game; I was in my office. To me it didn't mean much. You know in terms of where we want to be in the future. For the fans it is awesome, for organization and fans, they so deserve it. That is not what we want to be about. You're trying to build this thing to get to a championship level ...... it is a good accomplishment but we move on the playoffs are coming. We want to try and grow in the playoffs and see how we can grow as a team in the playoffs and win."

While many fans are riding a wave of confidence, my personal line of thinking is very much along the lines of Masai. Let's see what happens in the playoffs and work towards building a championship. The #1 reason for optimism I have is Masai sees the big picture and is not losing sight of it because of a much better than expected season.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Masai (paraphrased): "To be honest, I wasn't at the game; I was in my office. To me it didn't mean much. You know in terms of where we want to be in the future. For the fans it is awesome, for organization and fans, they so deserve it. That is not what we want to be about. You're trying to build this thing to get to a championship level ...... it is a good accomplishment but we move on the playoffs are coming. We want to try and grow in the playoffs and see how we can grow as a team in the playoffs and win."

While many fans are riding a wave of confidence, my personal line of thinking is very much along the lines of Masai. Let's see what happens in the playoffs and work towards building a championship. The #1 reason for optimism I have is Masai sees the big picture and is not losing sight of it because of a much better than expected season.
    My interpretation as cheesy as it may sound is basically the old adage, "Rome wasn't built in a day". It takes time to achieve greatness. We as fans need to preach patience which I know is next to impossible to instill in our rabid fan base.

7. Like ceez, mcHAPPY, stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim Rome wasn't built in one day....
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

9. Like Uncle_Si liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Took about 9 months didn't it?

Whoooooaaaa!

I'm here all week folks!
    Bruno Caboclo

11. Like buckets, isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that MU was all "MEH" about the division title, much less making the playoffs.
    @jerboat

13. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    But now he's burning

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The best part is you know BC wouldn't say that in a million years. BC would be gloating like crazy about how we won the division and made the playoffs thanks to internal growth, bla bla bla, and spend a ton of money on a FA who doesn't fit in the offseason to put us over the top.

Thank god BC is gone and we have someone who sees the big picture.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha
    Masai is preaching like he is because he actually tried hard to tank and failed.... now he is terrified.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    hahaha
    Masai is preaching like he is because he actually tried hard to tank and failed.... now he is terrified.

Probably...he may see this team as "being stuck in no mans land" now and has no clue how to get that superstar now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Probably...he may see this team as "being stuck in no mans land" now and has no clue how to get that superstar now.
    I don't think he has no clue.

I think it is more about alienating a fan base that has suffered for so long and now at the first sight of joy he could possibly rip it away.

As you know, the way to get a superstar never changes:
    1) Draft
    2) trade
    3) Free agency
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he has no clue.

I think it is more about alienating a fan base that has suffered for so long and now at the first sight of joy he could possibly rip it away.
    This was what I was grasping at. There are a lot of media repercussions if we don't make the playoffs next year and they will just add to the stigma that we aren't anything of value to the league

20. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    We're not stuck anywhere. Only DD, Novak, and the rookies are under contract for 2015/16. Even after resigning Lowry we'll still have plenty of space. The playoffs haven't even started. Way too early for this doom and gloom crap.

Thread Information