Is There A Scenario -- Loul Deng edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Try the Everything DD thread with recent breakdowns of his poor rotations. He isn't a good defender
    I don't think I ever claimed he is a good defender. I am only trying to counter the repeated arguments that he is a bad/terrible defender.

I say he's an average defender. He doesn't have the lateral quicks to be a great defender like Ross. But he isn't the glaring weakness he used to be.

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
      cool... you're right. Derozan is an amazing defender.
      No one has claimed that Derozan is an amazing defender. We're only trying to get you to see that Demar is not the terrible defender you keep saying he is.

As for Zach Lowe not watching the games, well, clearly you're full of shit. That guy has written more insightful stuff on the Raps than practically any of the beat reporters in Toronto. Maybe if you read his work you could see all the videos and pictures he uses to back up his points.

Comment

So players on the stretch can sign with another team. Didn't Quinten Richardson have to return to NY to sign a stretch contract for an extra 1 million so they could sign Amare

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          I don't think I ever claimed he is a good defender. I am only trying to counter the repeated arguments that he is a bad/terrible defender.

I say he's an average defender. He doesn't have the lateral quicks to be a great defender like Ross. But he isn't the glaring weakness he used to be.
          Depends on the night. I would say for most of the first half of the year he was noticeably better and passable. The last few weeks, maybe because of wear and tear, he's had too many nights where he just seems to coast. Old habits of ballwatching, late rotations and half assed closeouts.

All that said....Any talk of swapping him for Deng in the lineup is in no way certain to make this team better, and I'd guess (because that's really all anyone is doing here) worse. The toll on Deng's body has become obvious the last couple of years. On D, you don't know what you'll get on any night because of his body not being right. I've seen some games this year where he's a pylon because he clearly can't get those sore legs moving. And I don't understand how anyone would think our O would get better. DeMar takes lots of shots...He kind of has to given the offensive pieces we have. I get as frustrated as anyone when he looks off Amir or Jonas, but that's maybe a handful (give or take) of possessions a game. I'd bet if Deng was here instead, you'd just have Deng trying to handle pretty much the same load (again because of options available), and likely doing a worse job.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
            No one has claimed that Derozan is an amazing defender. We're only trying to get you to see that Demar is not the terrible defender you keep saying he is.

As for Zach Lowe not watching the games, well, clearly you're full of shit. That guy has written more insightful stuff on the Raps than practically any of the beat reporters in Toronto. Maybe if you read his work you could see all the videos and pictures he uses to back up his points.
            Hmmm I been seeing this conversation about DD's defense........

My 2 cents if that if you watched 70 or more raptor games this season, You cannot truthfully say Demar Derozan is not a horrible defender!
            The amount of times he closes out uncontrollably leading to penetration and the bigs getting into foul trouble is crazy

So to reiterate IF YOU WATCHED MORE THAN 70 RAPTOR GAMES THIS SEASON YOU CANNOT CANNOT SAY DD IS NOT A TERRIBLE DEFENDER HE IS ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS ON THE DEFENSIVE END AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU CAN SAY HE IS NOT!
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
              So players on the stretch can sign with another team. Didn't Quinten Richardson have to return to NY to sign a stretch contract for an extra 1 million so they could sign Amare

I don't recall what the Knicks did with Q-Rich when they signed Amare. But players that are stretched are waived (ie, released by the team). They cannot be resigned by the same team for at least a year.

Comment

Maybe its because I've never seen a guy have a stretch provision used on them that was a useful player, Why didn't the Raptor do that with Camby they bought him out

Comment

Stretch provision is a player trading money for a longer contract. Some players out of the league can be stretched but I'm sure it means can new signed contract.

Stretch provision means that a player is cut and his salary is stretched over more years.
                  What you are saying here isn't legal in the NBA, a player can't renegotiate his current contract and take a paycut.
                  Last edited by BobLoblaw; Thu Apr 17, 2014, 11:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

OK

Comment

Stretching Landry and Hayes doesn't make sense since both expire anyway, Spreading it out is worse than letting them expire.

Comment

Stretch with a buyout happens between three teams where a players is stretched to a team with cap space to resign with another team. Kris Humphries was used as an example

Comment

Stretch with a buyout happens between three teams where a players is stretched to a team with cap space to resign with another team. Kris Humphries was used as an example

Not sure what you mean. No one used stretch provision on Humphries.

Comment

He was used as an example of a difficult to move contract and using the stretch. Contract prior to 2011 need mutual consent After 2011 basically a waiver.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                              Being stubborn is insisting that Waiters is better than DD, when ALL empirical evidence suggests otherwise.
                              Stop

I'm not suggesting this here, I am just saying that how do you know PLAYER XXXXXXXX (ie doesn't matter) will be good/bad in a Raptors uniform?

You can have best guess is all

Instead of attacking Fox Machine about Deng being worse than DD. Argue from a standpoint that Deng has flaws X, Y, and Z that would make him not a good choice for the Raptors.

Comment

Plain and simple, I want someone younger and cheaper going forward. Draft pick preferably. I don't necessarily think this team will improve on the Win total next year, +-48 give or take 3 either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X