Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Now you're talking. See, we will be fine if he leaves
    I guess I'm talking circles with myself. Man, my wife is right. I do flip-flop.

Yes, we'll be fine, you're right. As a fan though, I'm just not sure I'm prepared for another couple seasons of mediocrity only to get where we are now 2 or 3 years down the line. Get what I'm saying?

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post

Yes, we'll be fine, you're right. As a fan though, I'm just not sure I'm prepared for another couple seasons of mediocrity only to get where we are now 2 or 3 years down the line. Get what I'm saying?
      It depends.

If you're mediocre/treading water, capped out, few draft picks, players who have reached their potential.... then yeah, sad.

However if Lowry leaves, do Raps get anything for him in possible S&T? Do Raps trade other assets with an eye to the future?

A team that isn't winning is selling hope. When you bring in talented players watching them develop is fun. I'm a JV and Ross fan, I love watching them improve. I'm not a huge fan of DD's game but seeing his growth has been enjoyable as a fan. Trade for other prospects with similar ceilings or get numerous first round draft picks and watching a team compete and grow is fun - at least to me.

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm fine with taking a step back if it is with guys 20-23 years of age and with the ability to keep them under contract for 6 or 7 seasons with rookie contract and restricted free agency. That gives Masai a real opportunity to build something.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        The bold is interesting - no?
        Money will not be the factor that keeps Lowry from re-signing. Years will not be the problem. He will get what he wants.
        I would call this part horrifying. And that's from someone who wants him to stay.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          I would call this part horrifying. And that's from someone who wants him to stay.
          Hopefully it would be front ended is all I can say and hope.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post

Oh I get it alright, but with or without Lowry, we may "take a step back next season". If the East is truly that bad now, and if the Raps record is inflated due to more games against lesser competition, and if the East somehow improves over the summer, then you should be prepared for a lesser seed in next years playoffs. CHI and BKN could very easily be much better next year, and I'm sure other teams will make at least some improvements.

Whatever this team does in the playoffs and offseason will not guarantee that we will be better (in term of record and seeding). So, how will you measure the success of next season? Would the team need to win more games than this season? Get a higher playoff seed? Get further in the playoffs? Do you think it's possible that this team could actually get better, but not acheive any of those things? I do. With or without Lowry, I expect JV, Ross, and even Demar will improve next season, but that does not mean we will actually finish with a better record or seeding. Nonetheless I would expect the group to be a better team.

This is a multi-year process and it will take time for this team to be a true contender in the East, even if Lowry stays. So if we don't emulate this seasons success record or seeding wise, how will you judge that? Even if you suspect the team has improved, will you chaulk it up as a sign of mediocrity? Will that be judged as "taking a step back", even if it is clear that the team has improved as a whole (if indeed it does, of course)?

It seems to me, that a lot of Raptors fans (not you necessarily Dr.) have some crazy expectations for this club given the unexpected success of this season. The idea that this season is a waste if Lowry leaves, or if we don't make it to the second round is a little foolish to me. Too many good things have come out of a very crappy situation that BC created and left to MU. We have nowhere to go but up, even if next season "appears" to be a step back.

Comment

i know most here think it's nothing but the fact he's never said once that he wants to stay here is mildly concerning to me
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

He's a UFA his agent told him to shut his pie hole. Leiweke says he staying so I'd say there's a good chance of that
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

So, where does Kelly get this sense (in the bold) from? I would think TL & MU are the only ones who know and tell. And would they? To Kelly? Just fodder for a piece at his new job I see. I thought it was unnecessary to include that aspect in the story especially since KL clearly did not want to engage on the subject.

Money will not be the factor that keeps Lowry from re-signing. Years will not be the problem.
                  If as the article states maturity has come upon Lowry why then doesnt the above apply in a cooperative sense to both parties in a negotiation that could benefit both? Am I being naive? Last I heard there is still a salary cap and new additional talent to acquire. Surely Lowry wants to be a "beneficiary" of that too?

I just hope it ends well and no one feels "taken" in the process.

Comment

If your core and highest paid player is 4@12 then its a good deal. Melo @30 mil. Larry Sanders @ 12 and Hibbert @ 15 mil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Lowry turned 28 in March. He plays the game like AI played.. and AI started to decline at around 31-32. So I'd say Lowry probably has 3-4 more years left in his tank to play like he did this year.

That's worth the gamble to try and keep him. But flexibility has to be maintained. So if he's asking for $12M+ than he needs to go. The team will take a gut shot but can recover. Give GV the reigns and try to find another PG in a year. There should be PG's available via trade. In 2015 Rondo is a free agent but I'd prefer not to give him a max contract and that's what he'd be asking.

The key is to not lose sight of what is important and that is to keep flexibility open for top tier free agents. As a star is the best way to contend and you need money to help acquire those stars - especially if the team isn't tanking.

Comment

question?
                        we can sign our own free agents before the draft right?
                        cause I would want to resign him, but if not we can focus on drafting a point guard with our pick

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                          question?
                          we can sign our own free agents before the draft right?
                          cause I would want to resign him, but if not we can focus on drafting a point guard with our pick
                          You could but you'd only be able to sign in 3/4 years versus by waiting Raps could tack on 4/5.

Makes much more sense for Lowry to resign tafter july 1st than to extend before July 1st

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            You could but you'd only be able to sign in 3/4 years versus by waiting Raps could tack on 4/5.

Makes much more sense for Lowry to resign tafter july 1st than to extend before July 1st
                            And they can't extend him at 10-12 M per until July. If he wanted to extend before the draft, it would be for 7M per year, which will not happen.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Lowry is EASILY replaceable.

Comment

Wiggins wrote: View Post
                                Lowry is EASILY replaceable.
                                With whom?

Comment

Working...
                                X