Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How important is Lowry to this team?

Post Thanks / Like

i know most here think it's nothing but the fact he's never said once that he wants to stay here is mildly concerning to me
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a UFA his agent told him to shut his pie hole. Leiweke says he staying so I'd say there's a good chance of that

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

So, where does Kelly get this sense (in the bold) from? I would think TL & MU are the only ones who know and tell. And would they? To Kelly? Just fodder for a piece at his new job I see. I thought it was unnecessary to include that aspect in the story especially since KL clearly did not want to engage on the subject.

Money will not be the factor that keeps Lowry from re-signing. Years will not be the problem.
    If as the article states maturity has come upon Lowry why then doesnt the above apply in a cooperative sense to both parties in a negotiation that could benefit both? Am I being naive? Last I heard there is still a salary cap and new additional talent to acquire. Surely Lowry wants to be a "beneficiary" of that too?

I just hope it ends well and no one feels "taken" in the process.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

If your core and highest paid player is 4@12 then its a good deal. Melo @30 mil. Larry Sanders @ 12 and Hibbert @ 15 mil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Like OldSkoolCool, Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry turned 28 in March. He plays the game like AI played.. and AI started to decline at around 31-32. So I'd say Lowry probably has 3-4 more years left in his tank to play like he did this year.

That's worth the gamble to try and keep him. But flexibility has to be maintained. So if he's asking for $12M+ than he needs to go. The team will take a gut shot but can recover. Give GV the reigns and try to find another PG in a year. There should be PG's available via trade. In 2015 Rondo is a free agent but I'd prefer not to give him a max contract and that's what he'd be asking.

The key is to not lose sight of what is important and that is to keep flexibility open for top tier free agents. As a star is the best way to contend and you need money to help acquire those stars - especially if the team isn't tanking.

Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

question?
    we can sign our own free agents before the draft right?
    cause I would want to resign him, but if not we can focus on drafting a point guard with our pick

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
    question?
    we can sign our own free agents before the draft right?
    cause I would want to resign him, but if not we can focus on drafting a point guard with our pick
    You could but you'd only be able to sign in 3/4 years versus by waiting Raps could tack on 4/5.

Makes much more sense for Lowry to resign tafter july 1st than to extend before July 1st

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You could but you'd only be able to sign in 3/4 years versus by waiting Raps could tack on 4/5.

Makes much more sense for Lowry to resign tafter july 1st than to extend before July 1st
    And they can't extend him at 10-12 M per until July. If he wanted to extend before the draft, it would be for 7M per year, which will not happen.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry is EASILY replaceable.

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Wiggins wrote: View Post
    With whom?

Post Thanks / Like

Basically it boils down to this: Lowry is either going to get a max offer (16m+) from a team looking to jump up in a hurry or he won't get that.

If he gets one, he's getting one from the likes of Detroit (move Jennings to SG - or try to dump him to another team somehow), the Knicks (sign and trade for Amare + picks), the Lakers (sign and trade Nash + picks), Houston (sign and trade Lin/Asik + picks) or maybeeeee Orlando (move Oladipo back to SG where he belongs, use their good pick this year on a quality wing or PF instead of a point guard) or Milwaukee (your classic "new owners overpay for a star" move). Because signing Lowry is a win-now move for anybody else, and most other teams are either not in win-now mode or already have answers at PG.

If Lowry gets a max deal and wants to match - we can't afford that, not realistically, so we wish him the best and move on, probably pull some trades to make sure Tyler Ennis shows up in Toronto and the fans will forgive all concerned.

If Lowry DOESN'T get the max deal offer from someone else (and he may well not - he's still an attitude case to a lot of people in the league and a lot of smart people have said, over and over, that he's found his fit here), then we offer him a generous but not crazy deal - I think we top out at $12.5m per year for four years, which gives Lowry a $50m deal overall (which is the sort of silly thing that can matter to a player's pride - "X SIGNS $50M DEAL" is a headline to be proud of, after all, moreso than 48m or 46m).

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is true, DeRozan, Jonas, Amir and Ross are also "easily replaceable".
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Losing Lowry is bigger because it means rthe Raptors will always lose its best player its more psychological than his value as a PG. If MLSE loses Lowry because they wouldnt offer 4@48 then VC was right to quit on this team.

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If this is true, DeRozan, Jonas, Amir and Ross are also "easily replaceable".
    LOL don't even bother, that guy's whole schtick is trolling Lowry

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Losing Lowry is bigger because it means rthe Raptors will always lose its best player its more psychological than his value as a PG. If MLSE loses Lowry because they wouldnt offer 4@48 then VC was right to quit on this team.

That doesnt make sense. The owners are different. The management are different. The coaches are different and so are the players. No player is bigger than the TEAM.

Post Thanks / Like

If they don't resign Lowry to a reasonable offer then what's the point. If another team offered 4@60 then goodbye to Lowry and good luck. Otherwise why support a team that doesn't try to win. That's why I hate the Leafs any crap fills seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Poppy cock
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i know most here think it's nothing but the fact he's never said once that he wants to stay here is mildly concerning to me
    True......

Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    He's a UFA his agent told him to shut his pie hole. Leiweke says he staying so I'd say there's a good chance of that
    .....and exactly.

This is the reality of this summer's free agency:

This isn’t what the wretched of the NBA expected after slashing payrolls and trading front-line players for No. 1 picks. If the 2014 draft class wasn’t all it was supposed to be, there may barely be a 2014 free agent class.
    “Now,” says an NBA GM, “you’ve got Luol Deng, Kyle Lowry and Marcin Gortat. “And then we’re done.”
    After that, the Bulls could offer Anthony a $16 million starting salary in a four-year deal worth $71 million, vs. five years worth $129 million in New York.
    *if he signed with the Lakers it would be the same thing: $71M vs. $129M.

Hyping possibilities that are off the board beats real life with Lowry, Deng and Gortat at the head of a list otherwise comprised of the aging, infirm or complementary (Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Andrew Bogut, Mario Chalmers, Spencer Hawes, Trevor Ariza, Shawn Marion, Caron Butler, Paul Pierce).

How about if the Bulls send Butler and their two No. 1s to Minnesota for Kevin Love, whom they then trade for Melo?

No, it’s not happening. Yes, you will hear a lot about it in the interim.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markheis...n-wade-dirk/2/

Not a good year for free agency.... especially if you are a Raptor fan.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

it would take at least a 5 year 60 million or 4 year 52 million to sign him.

Post Thanks / Like

That would make him the second highest paid PG. He isn't worth that much except to teams that are in complete rebuild like Lakers, Bucks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information