Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: SI's Team Grades - Raptors got....

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,875
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default SI's Team Grades - Raptors got....

    Final Grade: A+ | Midseason Grade: A-

    48-33, No. 3 in the East | Midseason record: 21-20, No. 4 in the East

    I canít understand why the Raptorsí success hasnít produced more buzz. Just 12 months ago, NBA writers were brainstorming new and creative ways to mock the decisions of president Bryan Colangelo, as Toronto finished 34-48 and missed the playoffs for the fifth year in a row. And now? Toronto has claimed the Atlantic Division title, secured home-court advantage in the first round, placed swingman DeMar DeRozan (22.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, four assists) on the All-Star team and in the Most Improved Player discussion, and enjoyed an All-Star-caliber season from point guard Kyle Lowry (17.9 points, 7.4 assists, 4.7 rebounds). These accomplishments come with a mandatory ďThey occurred in the EastĒ caveat, but nobody saw this coming.

    Dwane Casey opened the season on the hot seat; heís my pick for Coach of the Year. Rudy Gay and DeRozan looked like a match made in hell; new GM Masai Ujiri wisely addressed that issue quickly, trading Gay in December and setting the table for Torontoís move up the standings. The Raptors will improve by at least 14 wins this season despite trading their two highest-paid players from last year, Gay and Andrea Bargnani. Credit Casey for overseeing a smooth transition to a blue-collar identity that plays to the strengths of the Lowry/DeRozan pairing and has led to a No. 10 ranking in defense, up from 22nd last season.

    Because of their youth and fairly anonymous roster, the Raptors figure to be a popular upset pick in the first round. Even a brief playoff appearance, though, wouldnít take the luster off their remarkable regular-season achievements. If Iím Ujiri, Iím lining up Game 1 courtside seats for Rob Ford, Drake, Justin Bieber and former Raptor Tracy McGrady, all in hopes of provoking some well-earned buzz around the Raptors.

    http://nba.si.com/2014/04/16/nba-reg...des/?eref=sihp

  2. Like blackjitsu liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,372
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    If I’m Ujiri, I’m lining up Game 1 courtside seats for Rob Ford, Drake, Justin Bieber and former Raptor Tracy McGrady, all in hopes of provoking some well-earned buzz around the Raptors.
    lol

  4. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow.

    Si with a positive Raps piece...this IS impressive.

    Good to read.

  5. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    2,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Final Grade: A+ | Midseason Grade: A-

    48-33, No. 3 in the East | Midseason record: 21-20, No. 4 in the East

    I canít understand why the Raptorsí success hasnít produced more buzz. Just 12 months ago, NBA writers were brainstorming new and creative ways to mock the decisions of president Bryan Colangelo, as Toronto finished 34-48 and missed the playoffs for the fifth year in a row. And now? Toronto has claimed the Atlantic Division title, secured home-court advantage in the first round, placed swingman DeMar DeRozan (22.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, four assists) on the All-Star team and in the Most Improved Player discussion, and enjoyed an All-Star-caliber season from point guard Kyle Lowry (17.9 points, 7.4 assists, 4.7 rebounds). These accomplishments come with a mandatory ďThey occurred in the EastĒ caveat, but nobody saw this coming.

    Dwane Casey opened the season on the hot seat; heís my pick for Coach of the Year. Rudy Gay and DeRozan looked like a match made in hell; new GM Masai Ujiri wisely addressed that issue quickly, trading Gay in December and setting the table for Torontoís move up the standings. The Raptors will improve by at least 14 wins this season despite trading their two highest-paid players from last year, Gay and Andrea Bargnani. Credit Casey for overseeing a smooth transition to a blue-collar identity that plays to the strengths of the Lowry/DeRozan pairing and has led to a No. 10 ranking in defense, up from 22nd last season.

    Because of their youth and fairly anonymous roster, the Raptors figure to be a popular upset pick in the first round. Even a brief playoff appearance, though, wouldnít take the luster off their remarkable regular-season achievements. If Iím Ujiri, Iím lining up Game 1 courtside seats for Rob Ford, Drake, Justin Bieber and former Raptor Tracy McGrady, all in hopes of provoking some well-earned buzz around the Raptors.

    http://nba.si.com/2014/04/16/nba-reg...des/?eref=sihp
    Oh

    My

    God
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

  6. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter hotfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Final Grade: A+ | Midseason Grade: A-

    48-33, No. 3 in the East | Midseason record: 21-20, No. 4 in the East

    I can’t understand why the Raptors’ success hasn’t produced more buzz. Just 12 months ago, NBA writers were brainstorming new and creative ways to mock the decisions of president Bryan Colangelo, as Toronto finished 34-48 and missed the playoffs for the fifth year in a row. And now? Toronto has claimed the Atlantic Division title, secured home-court advantage in the first round, placed swingman DeMar DeRozan (22.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, four assists) on the All-Star team and in the Most Improved Player discussion, and enjoyed an All-Star-caliber season from point guard Kyle Lowry (17.9 points, 7.4 assists, 4.7 rebounds). These accomplishments come with a mandatory “They occurred in the East” caveat, but nobody saw this coming.

    Dwane Casey opened the season on the hot seat; he’s my pick for Coach of the Year. Rudy Gay and DeRozan looked like a match made in hell; new GM Masai Ujiri wisely addressed that issue quickly, trading Gay in December and setting the table for Toronto’s move up the standings. The Raptors will improve by at least 14 wins this season despite trading their two highest-paid players from last year, Gay and Andrea Bargnani. Credit Casey for overseeing a smooth transition to a blue-collar identity that plays to the strengths of the Lowry/DeRozan pairing and has led to a No. 10 ranking in defense, up from 22nd last season.

    Because of their youth and fairly anonymous roster, the Raptors figure to be a popular upset pick in the first round. Even a brief playoff appearance, though, wouldn’t take the luster off their remarkable regular-season achievements. If I’m Ujiri, I’m lining up Game 1 courtside seats for Rob Ford, Drake, Justin Bieber and former Raptor Tracy McGrady, all in hopes of provoking some well-earned buzz around the Raptors.

    http://nba.si.com/2014/04/16/nba-reg...des/?eref=sihp
    LMAO! This will be the most interesting combo of four people ever put together.
    "Duh! Winning"
    - Charlie Sheen

  7. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Final Grade: A+ | Midseason Grade: A-

    48-33, No. 3 in the East | Midseason record: 21-20, No. 4 in the East

    I can’t understand why the Raptors’ success hasn’t produced more buzz. Just 12 months ago, NBA writers were brainstorming new and creative ways to mock the decisions of president Bryan Colangelo, as Toronto finished 34-48 and missed the playoffs for the fifth year in a row. And now? Toronto has claimed the Atlantic Division title, secured home-court advantage in the first round, placed swingman DeMar DeRozan (22.8 points, 4.3 rebounds, four assists) on the All-Star team and in the Most Improved Player discussion, and enjoyed an All-Star-caliber season from point guard Kyle Lowry (17.9 points, 7.4 assists, 4.7 rebounds). These accomplishments come with a mandatory “They occurred in the East” caveat, but nobody saw this coming.

    Dwane Casey opened the season on the hot seat; he’s my pick for Coach of the Year. Rudy Gay and DeRozan looked like a match made in hell; new GM Masai Ujiri wisely addressed that issue quickly, trading Gay in December and setting the table for Toronto’s move up the standings. The Raptors will improve by at least 14 wins this season despite trading their two highest-paid players from last year, Gay and Andrea Bargnani. Credit Casey for overseeing a smooth transition to a blue-collar identity that plays to the strengths of the Lowry/DeRozan pairing and has led to a No. 10 ranking in defense, up from 22nd last season.

    Because of their youth and fairly anonymous roster, the Raptors figure to be a popular upset pick in the first round. Even a brief playoff appearance, though, wouldn’t take the luster off their remarkable regular-season achievements. If I’m Ujiri, I’m lining up Game 1 courtside seats for Rob Ford, Drake, Justin Bieber and former Raptor Tracy McGrady, all in hopes of provoking some well-earned buzz around the Raptors.

    http://nba.si.com/2014/04/16/nba-reg...des/?eref=sihp
    yes to everyone else for court side seats a big no to beiber
    ya dun noe

  8. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hassan wrote: View Post
    yes to everyone else for court side seats a big no to beiber
    What if Bieber drives increased NBA ratings and the refs are instructed to help us to the 2nd round, because the fans can't get enough of court side bieber.

  9. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A much deserved A+. What a great season

  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    throw in morpheus into courtside seats as well


  11. #10
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,875
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm surprised more people are talking about the court side joke rather than the opener where the article says the Raps should be getting more coverage. Seems like we've come a long way

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •