No announcement yet.

What would YOU pay Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's rule out who already has a significant investment in a point guard.

Atlanta - Jeff Teague (coming into his own at roughly 8m per year)
    Boston - Rajon Rondo (healing up nicely at north of 10m a year)
    Brooklyn - Deron Williams (3 years 60 million left) also fuck Brooklyn
    Charlotte - Kemba Walker (coming into his own still on rookie deal)
    Cleveland - Kyrie Irving
    Chicago - Derrick Rose (maxed out)
    Denver - Ty Lawson (good contract)
    Detroit - Brandon Jennings (not great but tied up financially)
    Golden State - Steph Curry (all star on a favorable contract)
    Los Angeles Clippers - Chris Paul (all star maxed out)
    New Orleans - Jrue Holiday (locked up)
    Memphis - Conley (good contract-great player-great fit)
    Minnesota - Ricky Rubio (still on rookie deal)
    Oklahoma - Westbrook (all star maxed out)
    Philadephia - MCW (rebuilding - good to great player in the making)
    Phoenix - Goran or Bledsoe (take your pick, either way PG is locked up)
    Portland - Damian Clutch Lillard (not going anywhere)
    San Antonio - Tony Parker is showing no signs of slowing down
    Washington - John Wall having a breakout year

By my estimate that takes 19 teams out of the market for Kyle Lowry's services

Rebuilding

Orlando - haven't heard any rumblings of wanting him but they certainly aren't ready to compete.
    Utah - Drafted Trey Burke, who knows if he will work out...still a project in the very competitive west
    Milwuakee - Brandon Knight would best be served as a sixth man. However who the hell would willingly sign for the worst team in the league during the prime of their career?
    Los Angeles Lakers - Got a year tied up in Steve Nash, no coach they have the money but not a likely destination.

So that leaves 7 teams
    Houston
    Miami
    Sacramento
    New York
    Toronto
    Indiana
    Dallas

Of those teams the Knicks, Pacers, and Heat are capped out

That leaves Houston, Dallas, Toronto and Sacramento

Houston could be tricky because McHale is still there.
    Sacramento is a perennial failure.

In my estimation only Dallas with its veteran core, cap space offer an attractive landing spot.

So you see we should not be shitting the bed, because we are almost exclusively bidding against ourselves
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      Let's rule out who already has a significant investment in a point guard.

Cleveland - Kyrie Irving

Rebuilding

Orlando - haven't heard any rumblings of wanting him but they certainly aren't ready to compete.
      Utah - Drafted Trey Burke, who knows if he will work out...still a project in the very competitive west
      Milwuakee - Brandon Knight would best be served as a sixth man. However who the hell would willingly sign for the worst team in the league during the prime of their career?
      Los Angeles Lakers - Got a year tied up in Steve Nash, no coach they have the money but not a likely destination.

So that leaves 7 teams
      Houston
      Miami
      Sacramento
      New York
      Toronto
      Indiana
      Dallas

In my estimation only Dallas with its veteran core, cap space offer an attractive landing spot.

So you see we should not be shitting the bed, because we are almost exclusively bidding against ourselves
      I don't think he will go back to Houston
      Dallas has a thing for former raptors they could make a run depending on what Calderon does next year, they don't want what Toronto had last year
      Sac town maybe to reunite with god of chuck himself rudy gay.
      Toronto seems like the most favourable tbh
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Why cheap out over 1-2 million. He isn't a free agent coming to Toronto but resigning the best player on the team.Bledsoe is better than Lowry but Lowry is worth more to Toronto.

Comment

Cleveland - Kyrie Irving

Rebuilding

So that leaves 7 teams
          Houston
          Miami
          Sacramento
          New York
          Toronto
          Indiana
          Dallas

Actually I am most worried about Indiana. True, they do not have cap room, but that does not mean they cannot create cap room if they really wanted (non-guaranteed contracts, cap exemptions). They look like a total failure this year, have no solution at PG and a champion contender. They sign Lowry and that puts them over the top.

Comment

• Honestly if Lowry leaves for money were better off since it means this was a contract year performance. Bulls,Heat would be interested too if cap wasn't an issue

Comment

• sleepz wrote: View Post
              Agreed with Lowry being more valuable on the defensive end of the floor than Curry or Irving. And it's definitely fair to say that scoring gets you paid more than other skills in the league.

I think you are right that he is undervalued. The only issue is can you value him salary wise after this season? He deserves it but I have reservations giving players who had a career year in a contract year, big money. With Curry and Irving (more Curry than Irving) I've seen them play at a high level for a few years now. I don't know why, but I just worry we might not get another season out of Kyle like the one we did this year.
              Do you think if Lowry was on a worse team, he would put up bigger numbers, like Irving? Or is he the kind of player that is ONLY effective when he has decent players around him?

Comment

• If Lowry bolts I'm very happy starting GV.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  Honestly if Lowry leaves for money were better off since it means this was a contract year performance. Bulls,Heat would be interested too if cap wasn't an issue
                  Bulls should have no interest. They have Rose. Even with injury issues...they can't have that much invested in two starting PGs, that would be horrible mismanagement.

Comment

• Rose has been injured 3 seasons in a row. Some fans are wondering if they should cut losses and rebuild without him.

Comment

Cleveland - Kyrie Irving

Rebuilding

So that leaves 7 teams
                      Houston
                      Miami
                      Sacramento
                      New York
                      Toronto
                      Indiana
                      Dallas

Nice analysis. You haven't even considered which teams will draft high-end PGs in the upcoming draft (ie: Exum), which would conceivably take them out of the Lowry sweepstakes.

Comment

• PG are like centers they take time to develop. A team drafting Ennis, Exum may still look for a veteran starting PG for a few seasons.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Rose has been injured 3 seasons in a row. Some fans are wondering if they should cut losses and rebuild without him.
                          Fans are not managers.They still owe Rose almost $19M next year, and over $20M for 2 more years after that. They can't do anything about that contract, and while they can try to trade him, they will be getting low value in terms of return for that talented a player due to his injury issues. So they would easily have over $30M (likely closer to 35 or more) invested in 2 PGs, and if Rose actually gets healthy, they will have trouble finding enough ball for both guys.

Bulls main target is Carmelo. They need another scorer, and someone who will take pressure off Rose when he comes back.

Comment

• I'm sure ujiri has much more sense than most people. There's almost no market for Lowry and he's had a career year, which wasn't even that great and very little to no room to improve. How many players have their career year 7/8 years in and keep improving? In addition, there's a perfectly viable, much cheaper option sitting on the bench that has much higher potential. The idiots screaming to resign him for 10-12m are going to be the same whiners complaining about it later and wondering how to get rid of it when he returns to his average. Every year of his contract will likely be worse than this year. He would be a nice piece at a decent price but that won't happen.

Comment

Cleveland - Kyrie Irving

Rebuilding

So that leaves 7 teams
                              Houston
                              Miami
                              Sacramento
                              New York
                              Toronto
                              Indiana
                              Dallas

Dallas has 3 more years in Jose at $7M per year....and Monta Ellis, another ball-dominant guard locked up for 2 more years as well. They have the capspace and a fairly attractive situation, except for the fact that they'd have to junk things up big time and move one or both of Jose/Monta to make things work. I don't think it's an easy situation to work out.

I still think the Lakers are the only real threat because they can make a ridiculous offer. And the situation is far less attractive than Toronto at the moment.

Houston could be the other threat. There are rumblings that maybe McHale is let go if they get eliminated. They could probably find the money they need.

Also, early rumours concerning draft is that Orlando will target Exum or Smart with their pick, so while they were already unlikely, I think they'll be completely out of consideration after the draft.

Comment

He can compete against Calderon for the starting spot!

More seriously, 7M is a lot to pay for your backup point guard (Calderon). Mavs might be better off resigning Harris and using that as the same 1-2 punch they had this year. Point guard was not the problem spot for the Mavs. I'm pretty confident the Raps can outbid them.
                                That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Working...
                                X