Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: History Repeating Itself

Raptors Republic Starter Raptor Jesus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, Brooklyn tanked to get Miami in the second round. Not us.

Edited:

Dougy Smith first to report on what we all felt for the last 2 weeks:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor..._playoffs.html
    Last edited by Raptor Jesus; Wed Apr 16th, 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie JessJuice's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a harder matchup for sure than the Wizards would have been but I don't get why people are counting the raps out already. I think they are all sick of being underestimated and sick of losing that they are going to come out swinging.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

This is NOTHING like last time. NONE of the players are playing above their heads. Improvements are tied to more minutes, and playing more efficiently. THE WHOLE STARTING LINEUP was part of last year's nucleus. NONE of the starters are in their 30s on their final kick of the can. The Nets are no longer a rival -- if any team is a rival to the Raps now it's probably the Wiz (Wale vs Devlin).

Yes, Casey is similar to Mitchell. The current board REALLY LIKES Sam Mitchell, heck, they STILL PAY THE GUY on occasion to broadcast games. Hiring a clone of his, in Casey, was clearly a move by BCo to save his job. AND surprise, surprise a similar style coach returned the team to the playoffs.

That last team had piqued. What they did was the best that they could do. The current roster has 2 sophomore starters who have tons of room to grow. That team had Bargnani as the lone player who had potential to improve. Seriously. Bargnani. Next season (if the nucleus of this team stays intact), this Raps team could have 4 starters average more than 15 points a game, and have all 5 starters average in double figures. Think about that. With a WAY better defence. WAY.

As far as this time around? To assume that the Nets get the whistle is to assume that all those senior citizens can survive a full round of the playoffs. I CAN'T do that. MAYBE YOU CAN. Me? I doubt it.

Furthermore, enough with the pessimism. The Raps were supposed to be tanking and instead found a group of players that could create sustainable success. This team is a starting PF (allowing Amir to come off the bench) and a legit bench wing away from being a serious team for a LONG time. This isn't deja vu. Hopefully, it's more like correcting past mistakes.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there will be some shakiness and the Nets might steal a game (possibly game #1).. and if that happens the Raptors will have to play the underdog role despite being the 3rd seed just like in 2006. I have a lot of confidence in Lowry to help get the team to play like they have all season. The team didn't have a leader like that the last time they played the Nets in the playoffs.

There are some similarities, however the future is much brighter. MU has expressed already how he doesn't want the team to be just making the playoffs and wants a championship. Tim Lieweke is all business. There is cap flexibility in a year to get a max contract player and with three guys under the age of 24 playing critical minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I think there will be some shakiness and the Nets might steal a game (possibly game #1).. and if that happens the Raptors will have to play the underdog role despite being the 3rd seed just like in 2006. I have a lot of confidence in Lowry to help get the team to play like they have all season. The team didn't have a leader like that the last time they played the Nets in the playoffs.

There are some similarities, however the future is much brighter. MU has expressed already how he doesn't want the team to be just making the playoffs and wants a championship. Tim Lieweke is all business. There is cap flexibility in a year to get a max contract player and with three guys under the age of 24 playing critical minutes.
    Only team in the playoffs which has 2 sophomore starters!
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

With the league lamenting the loss of the Knicks in the playoffs and their uber market, the LEAGUE will want to keep the Brooklyn machine to chug along. I'm a bit worried. Ref rigging engaged.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Yeah, interesting the way history repeats.

If Masai does not have faith in this team, a first round 5 game knockout might give him justification to make some likely to be unpopular moves. He will be able to point to no growth in playoffs and a future of first round exits.

I'm starting to think that you'd prefer those moves over a first round victory

9. Like jacobdr4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post

Boom.

And that was always the problem with Bosh as a number one option. Lowry's gonna make sure these guys bust their asses and focus on the right things.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    I'm starting to think that you'd prefer those moves over a first round victory
    I'm always looking for the silver lining in any situation.

haha
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Oh, it will be fine. The NBA has no interest in a Miami vs. Brooklyn matchup. I am sure the officiating will be fair and square.

Also, we need a new thread for Game 1. Go Raps.
    Maybe we could have one thread for the whole series?
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, it will be fine. The NBA has no interest in a Miami vs. Brooklyn matchup. I am sure the officiating will be fair and square.

?sarcasm?

Post Thanks / Like

On the other hand, the NBA actually does have a huge interest in running the risk of incurring a massive scandal which damages viewership and leaguewide income for decades.

Because if commissioner-ordered match fixing ever gets out, the NBA is over.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just glad we have everyone healthy this time around. So at least we go in full force. No what ifs or shoulda-woulda-couldas.

Many forget that during the 06-07 season Garbo got injured and missed the playoffs. IMO that was a huge loss to our dynamic as a team back then. And we never really recovered from that, never really had a true starting caliber SF that produced and fit in the way he did. Even now.

This time everyone's healthy (well...mostly), so their destiny is in their own hands. They know they can beat Brooklyn, they just have to execute. But no matter what happens, the experience they gain this year will be huge for their growth, and a great stepping stone for improvement next year.

Post Thanks / Like

History is repeating yet again. I really think MU needs to look hard at replacing DC with SVG.

Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

is it true that VC had a horrible first playoff game just like DD and then in game 2 he bounced backed??? does that mean DeMar would also bounce back on Tuesday??
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    is it true that VC had a horrible first playoff game just like DD and then in game 2 he bounced backed??? does that mean DeMar would also bounce back on Tuesday??
    VC was pretty bad in his first playoff game. but even VC's bad was better than derozans performance today, which makes sense since DD is nowhere near VC's talent level.

19. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    VC was pretty bad in his first playoff game. but even VC's bad was better than derozans performance today, which makes sense since DD is nowhere near VC's talent level.
    man, that's a shame..... how great was his 2nd game??? ( you know so i'll get an Idea on how great demars game 2 would be )
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
    man, that's a shame..... how great was his 2nd game??? ( you know so i'll get an Idea on how great demars game 2 would be )

he went from a -3 in the first game to +20 in the second, and they won the second game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    he went from a -3 in the first game to +20 in the second, and they won the second game.
    were gonna win the second too then

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information