No announcement yet.

History Repeating Itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I'm excited for this series! Gonna be great games! Lots of national exposure, and if we are able to win, probably have a huge confidence boost going up against the Heat

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      That's exactly why I didn't want to play Nets.
      Oh, it will be fine. The NBA has no interest in a Miami vs. Brooklyn matchup. I am sure the officiating will be fair and square.

Also, we need a new thread for Game 1. Go Raps.

Comment

so spookily true. hopefully there is one difference that the karma lords will pay attention to. In 06/07, the nets won their last four games in order to beat out the wiz for the 6th seed. This time they lost 4 of their last five games (only beating orlando after losing to them nights before) in order to bump themselves behind the wiz.

Comment

Histroy will not repeat itself. I've been saying this for a while. This Nets team is not as good as that 06-07 team of Kidd, VC and Jefferson.

This Raptors team on the other hand is a much better team than the 06-07 team.

Raptors in 6 or 7.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            Oh, it will be fine. The NBA has no interest in a Miami vs. Brooklyn matchup. I am sure the officiating will be fair and square.

Also, we need a new thread for Game 1. Go Raps.
            This

Also Adam Silver's and the whole of the American sports media monolith's hard on for the Miami and Brooklyn second round series match up will fuck your day. Book it.

Comment

Also, Brooklyn tanked to get Miami in the second round. Not us.

Edited:

Dougy Smith first to report on what we all felt for the last 2 weeks:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor..._playoffs.html
              Last edited by Raptor Jesus; Wed Apr 16, 2014, 11:13 PM.

Comment

It is a harder matchup for sure than the Wizards would have been but I don't get why people are counting the raps out already. I think they are all sick of being underestimated and sick of losing that they are going to come out swinging.

Comment

This is NOTHING like last time. NONE of the players are playing above their heads. Improvements are tied to more minutes, and playing more efficiently. THE WHOLE STARTING LINEUP was part of last year's nucleus. NONE of the starters are in their 30s on their final kick of the can. The Nets are no longer a rival -- if any team is a rival to the Raps now it's probably the Wiz (Wale vs Devlin).

Yes, Casey is similar to Mitchell. The current board REALLY LIKES Sam Mitchell, heck, they STILL PAY THE GUY on occasion to broadcast games. Hiring a clone of his, in Casey, was clearly a move by BCo to save his job. AND surprise, surprise a similar style coach returned the team to the playoffs.

That last team had piqued. What they did was the best that they could do. The current roster has 2 sophomore starters who have tons of room to grow. That team had Bargnani as the lone player who had potential to improve. Seriously. Bargnani. Next season (if the nucleus of this team stays intact), this Raps team could have 4 starters average more than 15 points a game, and have all 5 starters average in double figures. Think about that. With a WAY better defence. WAY.

As far as this time around? To assume that the Nets get the whistle is to assume that all those senior citizens can survive a full round of the playoffs. I CAN'T do that. MAYBE YOU CAN. Me? I doubt it.

Furthermore, enough with the pessimism. The Raps were supposed to be tanking and instead found a group of players that could create sustainable success. This team is a starting PF (allowing Amir to come off the bench) and a legit bench wing away from being a serious team for a LONG time. This isn't deja vu. Hopefully, it's more like correcting past mistakes.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9xnS9EJmRU

Comment

I think there will be some shakiness and the Nets might steal a game (possibly game #1).. and if that happens the Raptors will have to play the underdog role despite being the 3rd seed just like in 2006. I have a lot of confidence in Lowry to help get the team to play like they have all season. The team didn't have a leader like that the last time they played the Nets in the playoffs.

There are some similarities, however the future is much brighter. MU has expressed already how he doesn't want the team to be just making the playoffs and wants a championship. Tim Lieweke is all business. There is cap flexibility in a year to get a max contract player and with three guys under the age of 24 playing critical minutes.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I think there will be some shakiness and the Nets might steal a game (possibly game #1).. and if that happens the Raptors will have to play the underdog role despite being the 3rd seed just like in 2006. I have a lot of confidence in Lowry to help get the team to play like they have all season. The team didn't have a leader like that the last time they played the Nets in the playoffs.

There are some similarities, however the future is much brighter. MU has expressed already how he doesn't want the team to be just making the playoffs and wants a championship. Tim Lieweke is all business. There is cap flexibility in a year to get a max contract player and with three guys under the age of 24 playing critical minutes.
                        Only team in the playoffs which has 2 sophomore starters!
                        @Boymusic66

Comment

With the league lamenting the loss of the Knicks in the playoffs and their uber market, the LEAGUE will want to keep the Brooklyn machine to chug along. I'm a bit worried. Ref rigging engaged.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, interesting the way history repeats.

If Masai does not have faith in this team, a first round 5 game knockout might give him justification to make some likely to be unpopular moves. He will be able to point to no growth in playoffs and a future of first round exits.

I'm starting to think that you'd prefer those moves over a first round victory
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Boom.

And that was always the problem with Bosh as a number one option. Lowry's gonna make sure these guys bust their asses and focus on the right things.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                                I'm starting to think that you'd prefer those moves over a first round victory
                                I'm always looking for the silver lining in any situation.

haha

Comment

Working...
                                X