Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 1: Brooklyn Nets 94 - Toronto Raptors 87 (Nets 1-0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    But don't you have to consider who we'd be lining up there in small ball, and forgetting how they match up against Pierce, if they offer anything that really helps us enough to warrant having them out there?

Playing Salmons, Novak or Fields at the 4 could be a nightmare for stretches. In fact, while he's maybe the worst defensively, the only one I'm comfortable with is Novak, who can still be such a threat from 3 that in spurts it might be good to have him out there. But Salmons out there with 2 of Ross, DeMar and Vasquez (or maybe even De Colo)?

I don't like how it would play out. One reason is the reason I like the idea of staying big to try to force Pierce to guard big man plays. When a guy's mostly been a perimeter player his whole career, he could be more likely to make mistakes in those situations he's not used to. It's part of the reason I hate going small. You suddenly have a wing trying to make interior rotations and keep guys out of the paint.
    Times like this, we need gays length lol
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
      Then why didn't he "easily" go for 30 this season with Ross on him?
      Brahhh I just don't like how joe has 50 fucking lb on Ross. The craziest shit could happen in the playoffs. This scares me. Other than that raps in 6. Unless of course blatch goes for 30 he always comes to play against toronto
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
        Brahhh I just don't like how joe has 50 fucking lb on Ross. The craziest shit could happen in the playoffs. This scares me. Other than that raps in 6. Unless of course blatch goes for 30 he always comes to play against toronto
        Joe Johnson is a fucking pussy, Ross says bring it on lol

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Times like this, we need gays length lol
            Yeah, except we clearly don't need any other aspect of his game.

We need length in a player who fits our team. This should be one of if not the top priority in the offseason, whether they sign, trade or draft to fill the need.

Comment

But don't you have to consider who we'd be lining up there in small ball, and forgetting how they match up against Pierce, if they offer anything that really helps us enough to warrant having them out there?

Playing Salmons, Novak or Fields at the 4 could be a nightmare for stretches. In fact, while he's maybe the worst defensively, the only one I'm comfortable with is Novak, who can still be such a threat from 3 that in spurts it might be good to have him out there. But Salmons out there with 2 of Ross, DeMar and Vasquez (or maybe even De Colo)?

I don't like how it would play out. One reason is the reason I like the idea of staying big to try to force Pierce to guard big man plays. When a guy's mostly been a perimeter player his whole career, he could be more likely to make mistakes in those situations he's not used to. It's part of the reason I hate going small. You suddenly have a wing trying to make interior rotations and keep guys out of the paint.
              But as I mentioned, the Nets have torn up the league with Pierce at the 4. He's always been a good rebounder for his size, and we don't have any bigs with an actual post game (lol) to really hurt him down low.

I like Mack's idea of KLow GV DD TRoss. I also think some combination of this with De Colo could work for short stretches, his quickness could cause problems. I still think Fields is the ideal matchup for Pierce, but he hasn't played tegularly for so long that it probably isnt realistic. I don't think that you can give any minutes to Novak against Pierce, he'd get eaten alive. And as much as Salmons has irked me for the past three months, I get the feeling he's going to be surprisingly useful in this series.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                There's a half season worth if evidence that shows they can easily overcome the size Pierce gives up there.
                If we are really worried about Pierce, he can be double-teamed. If you look at the season scoring averages, though, he is third in scoring (13.5) behind Williams (14.3) and Johnson (15.8). Brooks Lopez was the leading scorer before his injury (20.7). No one comparable is missing on the Raptors' roster.

Comment

All this talk of Brooklyn's playoff experience, but no one talks about the choke jobs. Joe Johnson has consistently underperformed in the playoffs just about every year he's been there. And this is now in a season where he's clearly started his decline.

Comment

All this talk of Brooklyn's playoff experience, but no one talks about the choke jobs. Joe Johnson has consistently underperformed in the playoffs just about every year he's been there. And this is now in a season where he's clearly started his decline.
                    Also everyone talks about the nets experience but they fail to mention that they have a rookie head coach and our coach was a former assistant on an NBA championship team and Rick Carlisle gave a lot of praise to D.C for his designing the defense that contained LeBron in that series
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

But as I mentioned, the Nets have torn up the league with Pierce at the 4. He's always been a good rebounder for his size, and we don't have any bigs with an actual post game (lol) to really hurt him down low.

I like Mack's idea of KLow GV DD TRoss. I also think some combination of this with De Colo could work for short stretches, his quickness could cause problems. I still think Fields is the ideal matchup for Pierce, but he hasn't played tegularly for so long that it probably isnt realistic. I don't think that you can give any minutes to Novak against Pierce, he'd get eaten alive. And as much as Salmons has irked me for the past three months, I get the feeling he's going to be surprisingly useful in this series.
                      It's not just about the post. It's about interior rotations (are you afraid of Pierce in the p'n'r or providing weak side help on drives?) and rebounding. So if we play small, he has a very clear advantage on the glass, we can't exploit his lack of ability as a low help defender, and we don't gain much of anythign in any area, and in fact probably give up a great deal more than we gain.

Pierce has killed us for years. Part of the reason is he's a tough matchup in general because of his size for a SF. If they put out a small lineup with Kirilenko/Livingston/Anderson, Johnson and Pierce, and we match, we end up smaller, not that much faster, worse on the glass, and playing against more experienced guys.

2Pat has been huge against the Nets this year. Amir has shown the ability to play against small ball lineups in spurts. I feel like the times Casey feels forced to go small are likely going to be in games we end up losing.

*Oh, and the idea behind giving Novak some minutes is to try to expose Pierce on the outside if you're not going to go inside. Pierce is not a very good defender so any way to make him work or expose his occasional laziness is a plus.

Comment

• If the Nets puts Pierce at the 4. If they go small. I'd like to see Casey put PP in the game to guard Pierce. PP is a very underrated player defensively. The guy can guard the 3 and the 4. And i thought the Raps really missed him the last time they played the Nets. And ironically that was Pierce best game this season vs the Raptors.

Williams vs Lowry
                        Livingston vs DeRozan
                        JJ vs Ross
                        Pierce vs PP
                        KG/Plumlee vs Amir/JV
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

It's not just about the post. It's about interior rotations (are you afraid of Pierce in the p'n'r or providing weak side help on drives?) and rebounding. So if we play small, he has a very clear advantage on the glass, we can't exploit his lack of ability as a low help defender, and we don't gain much of anythign in any area, and in fact probably give up a great deal more than we gain.

Pierce has killed us for years. Part of the reason is he's a tough matchup in general because of his size for a SF. If they put out a small lineup with Kirilenko/Livingston/Anderson, Johnson and Pierce, and we match, we end up smaller, not that much faster, worse on the glass, and playing against more experienced guys.

2Pat has been huge against the Nets this year. Amir has shown the ability to play against small ball lineups in spurts. I feel like the times Casey feels forced to go small are likely going to be in games we end up losing.

*Oh, and the idea behind giving Novak some minutes is to try to expose Pierce on the outside if you're not going to go inside. Pierce is not a very good defender so any way to make him work or expose his occasional laziness is a plus.
                          Going small would be purely for defence on Pierce. The reason Brooklyn does so well with himat the 4 is traditional bigs can't guard him.

Can't wait!
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Going small would be purely for defence on Pierce. The reason Brooklyn does so well with himat the 4 is traditional bigs can't guard him.

Can't wait!
                            Our bigs are not particularly traditional though.

And the reason is mixed. It's not just that bigs can't guard him. It's that the other team can't go small most of the time and have 2 wing players capable of physically matching the size of both Johnson and Pierce. You end up having to put a smaller guy on one of them, they then post that guy up with capable outside shooters everywhere. You choose Johnson and Pierce becomes a spot up shooter and vice-versa. This has been a huge reason for the Nets success. You have those 2 guys who can basically swap roles on O with no problems, and then you put one or two more shooters on the court and it creates huge problems for the opposing team's D.

Comment

• My issue with Novak is that he is, as we know, a one trick pony. Pierce is used to covering the three point line; I don't see why he'd have an issue checking Novak.
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• I wonder if the crowd boos if the Raps win but only score 99 points?

Comment

Working...
                                X