No announcement yet.

We, The North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this campaign for the sense of place that it has; and I say that as a non-Torontonian. I can't speak to how much it does or doesn't capture the spirit of the city, but at least it attempts to say something about the city in a way that shots of mascots and cheerleaders and arena interiors cannot. This campaign, as others have sort of alluded to, is as much about defining the character of Toronto (not just to outsiders but to Torontonians themselves), as it is about defining the character of the Raptors. And as a Canadian, the 'North' emphasis resonates with me, as does embracing the outsider role.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      JimiCliff, this promo is going way over your head. When they show NY Knicks promos, they also show lots of hoops being played in low income areas, even though NY is one of the richest cities on the planet. Ditto for every single other franchise. Might be a shocker to you, but most NBA players grew up playing street ball in low income areas. Hardly something unique to this video.

As a Canadian living in America, I think this video does a lot to break the stereotypes popular around here. e.g. Toronto is all white people covered in snow. I showed it to some friends and they had absolutely no idea Toronto had low income street ball areas, very similar to NYC, or that there were even very many black people living there.
      Exactly. This ad is as much for the local community as it is for US players that the Raps will attempt to recruit, and towards US media who isolate the team with little coverage. It's as much about promoting Toronto's basketball culture, as it is promoting the team. This is not a campaign exploiting communities, more so than it is promoting the unifying effect basketball has in communities.

People in the states who do not travel assume that Canada is all honkeys 'n hockey. Furthest thing from the truth. Schools like ECC, neighborhoods like J&F, Jamestown, Regent Park, parts of Brampton, Scarborough, etc., are where the huge influx of Canadians playing NCAA ball come from.

Being proud of that, allowing those neighborhoods to get some love, isn't promoting a particular sort of life, nor is it marketing basketball strictly to a certain demographic locally. Remember, this campaign is as much about promoting a Canada (Toronto) brand of basketball to the US, as it is a campaign focused towards Canadian Raps fans. The end game of this campaign is a successful All-Star weekend, and potentially recruiting future free agents to Toronto.

Personally, I love it. I have a buddy who hates it -- thinks it's corny. We're probably looking at a roll out of compilation albums, books, fashion shows, movies, musicals, etc., centered around "We, the North" for the next few years. I guess time will tell, whether it works, or if people get sick of it.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
        i agree its focusing too much on the weird street-cred/grittiness that toronto isn't really known for. even our hip hop star ambassador grew up in rich forest hill.

but meh, overall it definitely conveys the right mood at least.

I think the 'grittiness' lends itself to the blue-collar and underdog self-image that Toronto fans have — even though Toronto is a vibrant and diverse city with a huge population in the burbs.

If this were a Leafs promo, it would probably be people playing street hockey or on a pond and a lake, even though most of people play in indoor rinks.

Some of you guys are overthinking this.

Comment

GRITTY. TOUGH. STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM. YEAH BBY!

thats what I feel when I watch the promo
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Ya'll are fuckin nuts, this thing is amazing.

Comment

Remember when we was a soft team? NOT ANY MORE. WE, THE NORTH, ARE TOUGH. roar.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I like it.

The husky towards the end is interesting and the "Lets go Raps" as it ends.

There is a lot going on. I think it is fair to say they tried to appeal to a lot of people and it has an urban feel.

Regardless of whether you like it or not it appears to have struck a chord with many - good or bad. I'm not Don Draper but isn't that the goal of advertising - to be noticed?

Comment

There are tons of great points. Jimi rightly mentioned a few things that may irk some and many others have cogent remarks about the brand, the message, and the audience.

I feel like I'm not qualified or near learned enough to speak to that.... but that hello tho, and shhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeet that raptors chants tho.

Here's what I want to see. A huge turn out in 'the square' at the end of Bremner. I live there and it was madness for the leafs. Sid already said this; if it's anywhere near the same level of support: our Raptors aren't a fad anymore.

Oh and please don't start a wave, like come on, I lived through the 92-93 championships and it was cool for 50k+ to move in unison when I was a youth. Now its up there with the Macarena and the Twist for corniest shit people can do.

Comment

I loved it!

Comment

I loved it, gave me butterflies.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                        It isn't just an area. It's the most infamous intersection in the city. I think it's ridiculous that a franchise worth hundreds of millions of dollars is trying to get street cred like this.
                        Yet they charge the most of any nba team for playoff tickets. Try to appeal to grassroots yet don't make tickets affordable for same people they are using for marketing purposes. Ironic. Some might consider insulting.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I like it.

The husky towards the end is interesting and the "Lets go Raps" as it ends.
                          Looked like a wolf to me... and my buddy just told me it was based upon Game of Thrones? I don't watch the show yet, I'll take his word thoug.

Comment

The dunks + drums combo at the end followed by let's go raptors. Love it

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              JimiCliff, this promo is going way over your head. When they show NY Knicks promos, they also show lots of hoops being played in low income areas, even though NY is one of the richest cities on the planet. Ditto for every single other franchise. Might be a shocker to you, but most NBA players grew up playing street ball in low income areas. Hardly something unique to this video.

As a Canadian living in America, I think this video does a lot to break the stereotypes popular around here. e.g. Toronto is all white people covered in snow. I showed it to some friends and they had absolutely no idea Toronto had low income street ball areas, very similar to NYC, or that there were even very many black people living there.
                              What? First of all, basketball context-wise this city is NOTHING like NYC. NYC being one of the richest cities in the world? Most of it is actually quite poor save for one borough.

As for Toronto courts? they are few and far between, whereas NYC has a court on every damn corner.

This video doesn't break any stereotypes of being Canadian or Canadian basketball. It actually USES stereotypes to try and make Toronto look a certain way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Love it!
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X