Sacramento's draft pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacramento's draft pick

**This thread is an utter waste of time if Rudy opts out, signs elsewhere or signs for significantly less than $19.7M AND Kings are willing to forgo revenue sharing and pay luxury tax**

But for now lets say Kings won't do any of above.

As of right now Kings are $3M away from luxury tax territory:
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/sa...s-team-salary/

This does not include approximate $2.5M guaranteed for rookie contract (#7) or resigning Isaiah Thomas.

Thomas is the important piece here. He is tiny but he played well this season. He is also tight with Boogie.

So what are Kings to do?

How about finding a team to take on some of their dead weight - of which they have no shortage. Enter Toronto.

Toronto is not going to be a free agent player until 2015. The Raps have too much of their own dead weight. Therefore why not use some of the cap space they have to take on more deep bench players. In exchange for this Raptors swap draft picks with Sacramento (which also saves them another $1.25M off cap). Maybe Toronto throws in a 2nd rounder or two for good measure. The players who I think would fit well in Sacramento (Payne and Capela) are possible to be available at the Raptors pick.

By declining Salmons option, waiving Buycks and Stone, and using their TPE from Rudy deal, Raps could do things such as:

#7, Outlaw, Terry for #20, #37
    #7, Williams, Outlaw for #20, #37

Those types of deals take the Kings about $10M away from luxury tax line. Of course other teams could offer the same type deal, namely Boston, Utah, and Phoenix.

I'm not sure how likely something like above is. Probably not very. I would imagine if Raptors took on Thompson or Landry possibility likely to increase but that would eat cap space in 2015-2016 and 2016-17.

Anyways, just something I thought of in dreaming of ways to keep current team together while adding the benefit of a losing season..... without the losing of course. Luckily Raptors have their own Master Capologist so I would imagine scenarios like this are well thought out.

I would be down with getting that 7th pick! It would be nice to add maybe a Noah Vonleh to the roster with that pick, maybe Randle drops?
    Last edited by WJF; Thu Apr 17, 2014, 12:25 PM.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

You could go through this line of thinking with just about any team pushing luxury tax and/or wanting to make major additions/changes.

Houston
      Chicago
      Memphis
      OKC
      Minnesota
      Memphis

They would all be teams that you might come up with similar circumstances where the Raptors take on big money in exchange for prospects and/or picks.

Comment

Problem is Sac would want to dump Gay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
          Problem is Sac would want to dump Gay.

Gay might be paid more, but he is still a positive when compared to Outlaw and Terry at the moment. Both have been miserable in Sacramento, whereas Gay had a bit of a resurgence after the trade (far more efficient).

As for the basic principle of the trade...I like the thought. I wonder how much deadweight one must take on to move up in the draft and how high one could get. I would love to get to 7-8 if Gordon is still available as I think his athleticism and defensive potential would be fun to see develop.

Would moving $8.45mil in useless salary be enough for Sacramento? I think a team would need to take on more than that to see this type of value returned.
          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Piston would probably want to move Smith with #8 more than Sac would move Gays expiring. Memphis would move Prince but they don't have a good pick.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
              Gay might be paid more, but he is still a positive when compared to Outlaw and Terry at the moment. Both have been miserable in Sacramento, whereas Gay had a bit of a resurgence after the trade (far more efficient).

As for the basic principle of the trade...I like the thought. I wonder how much deadweight one must take on to move up in the draft and how high one could get. I would love to get to 7-8 if Gordon is still available as I think his athleticism and defensive potential would be fun to see develop.

Would moving $8.45mil in useless salary be enough for Sacramento? I think a team would need to take on more than that to see this type of value returned.
              Don't forget raps sending back own first and maybe seconds..... In my make believe world of course!

Comment

Also NYK 2016 pick. Both Denver and NY may suck next season Philly might want that they have picks #4 and #10 guaranteed

Comment

I'm curious what the Kings will do. The Carl Landry signing was pretty bad. It screwed up their flexibility, and it's just too long a contract for a player his age and level.
                  Then they trade for Gay which is a fine move in a vacuum but now they are pressed against the tax line.

There has to be some plan, right? New ownership, new management, got to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they are ready to step into tax for one year?

I'm curious what Isaiah Thomas will get. In theory, it's still quite possible that they can get under tax by simply stretching Outlaw and Terry. The tax line will go up. As long as no one overpays Isaiah, they might be ok.

I don't think that they'd trade #7 to save salary, it would be too dumb. But it's a situation worth looking at. If Lowry leaves, Isaiah might be a very solid and obtainable replacement option because of the Kings' tax situation.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    **This thread is an utter waste of time if Rudy opts out, signs elsewhere or signs for significantly less than $19.7M AND Kings are willing to forgo revenue sharing and pay luxury tax**

But for now lets say Kings won't do any of above.

As of right now Kings are $3M away from luxury tax territory:
                    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/sa...s-team-salary/

This does not include approximate $2.5M guaranteed for rookie contract (#7) or resigning Isaiah Thomas.

Thomas is the important piece here. He is tiny but he played well this season. He is also tight with Boogie.

So what are Kings to do?

How about finding a team to take on some of their dead weight - of which they have no shortage. Enter Toronto.

Toronto is not going to be a free agent player until 2015. The Raps have too much of their own dead weight. Therefore why not use some of the cap space they have to take on more deep bench players. In exchange for this Raptors swap draft picks with Sacramento (which also saves them another $1.25M off cap). Maybe Toronto throws in a 2nd rounder or two for good measure. The players who I think would fit well in Sacramento (Payne and Capela) are possible to be available at the Raptors pick.

By declining Salmons option, waiving Buycks and Stone, and using their TPE from Rudy deal, Raps could do things such as:

#7, Outlaw, Terry for #20, #37
                    #7, Williams, Outlaw for #20, #37

Those types of deals take the Kings about $10M away from luxury tax line. Of course other teams could offer the same type deal, namely Boston, Utah, and Phoenix.

I'm not sure how likely something like above is. Probably not very. I would imagine if Raptors took on Thompson or Landry possibility likely to increase but that would eat cap space in 2015-2016 and 2016-17.

Anyways, just something I thought of in dreaming of ways to keep current team together while adding the benefit of a losing season..... without the losing of course. Luckily Raptors have their own Master Capologist so I would imagine scenarios like this are well thought out.
                    I'd prefer second deal, provided Salmons goes back (there are rumours God changed his mind AGAIN and does not want John in To.
                    Williams still might have some value.

Comment

Mapko wrote: View Post
                      I'd prefer second deal, provided Salmons goes back (there are rumours God changed his mind AGAIN and does not want John in To.
                      Williams still might have some value.
                      lol, do you have a link to this rumor.

Comment

How about making 3 team deal out of this?

Sacramento: #14, #18, see financial stuff above

Phoenix: DeRozan, Novak

Toronto: #7 (Vonleh, Randle, Gordon), terry, outlaw, Plumlee, right to swap 2015 1st with Phx or LAL

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Toronto: #7 (Vonleh, Randle, Gordon), terry, outlaw, Plumlee, right to swap 2015 1st with Phx or LAL
                          I'd follow this up with an offer for Jeff green as discussed in other trade thread:

Salmons, #37, #58 for Green

Lowry
                          Ross
                          Green*
                          Vonleh
                          JV

* KD in 2016

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Not trading derozan unless I'm 90% sure the prospect I'm getting back will be better. And that would need to involve us getting a top 3 pick.

Also why does sac get two mid round picks in this deal when they aren't trading anything of value?

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                              Not trading derozan unless I'm 90% sure the prospect I'm getting back will be better. And that would need to involve us getting a top 3 pick.

Also why does sac get two mid round picks in this deal when they aren't trading anything of value?
                              #7 is not of value?

Comment

Working...
                              X