Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ongoing process of making Toronto desirable for those who don't know better continues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.R. wrote: View Post
    Really? Richard Peddie was CEO of MLSE for 15 years. He ruled over plenty of Leafs suckage (granted during the OTPP era). I find it hard to believe TL would have a 2-4 year tether.

The CEO is pretty well insulated - the coach will absorb at least the first couple years of crap before losing his job. You can go through another couple seasons with the next coach. The GM would be on notice then, maybe have a couple seasons more. Rinse and repeat. I'd think you'd need to be on your 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th GM before anyone starts calling for the head of the CEO. He's pretty far above the level of decision making that directly impacts on-ice performance.

So far it seems like any kind of timeline is self-imposed by TL. I think we're more likely to see him move on to a new challenge before he's at risk of getting canned by the board.
    I'll give you that 3 years is low end on my side but Richard Peddie was there to make them money, TL was brought in to make them winners. TPP didn't care that much about playoff dollars but Rogers and Bell sure do.

Comment

The format to make money in sports starts with winning. Do you really think bell and Rogers would be happy with blowing money and never getting a return? The reason they're spending so much is because the MLSE infrastructure has been so poorly managed and disregarded by the dumbass teachers pension.
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

What do players care about? The paycheques at the end of the day. Everybody wants money. Players will take more to stay on a team that doesn't truly have a "shot" at a title TBH.

See, Melo, Bosh. You could argue Bosh already has a Ring, sure, but Melo has nothing. NYK have nothing, yet, with a nice bit fat max offer, who's going to turn that down?

And how do you get the team to spend? Well, it's winning, but it's also an owner that's got deep pockets, and willing to take the risk and roll the dice.

So, you could argue that it all comes from winning to begin with. Not necessarily a lot of winning, but just enough to give "Hope" to Management that if they spend more, then they'll be able to win more.

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
          What do players care about? The paycheques at the end of the day. Everybody wants money. Players will take more to stay on a team that doesn't truly have a "shot" at a title TBH.

See, Melo, Bosh. You could argue Bosh already has a Ring, sure, but Melo has nothing. NYK have nothing, yet, with a nice bit fat max offer, who's going to turn that down?

And how do you get the team to spend? Well, it's winning, but it's also an owner that's got deep pockets, and willing to take the risk and roll the dice.

So, you could argue that it all comes from winning to begin with. Not necessarily a lot of winning, but just enough to give "Hope" to Management that if they spend more, then they'll be able to win more.
          Depends on where players are in their careers. PPat took less but if Toronto gets playoff exposure he will make more as an UFA in 3 years then if he played in Orlando as a starter. Same as Lowry in 3 years which would be his last contract. Winning is also about not being in a situation that lowers your value such as Diaw in Charlotte or Mayo on the Bucks.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            I think the Raps owning their own D-League team would be a definite enhancement to the development process for their rookies. A great way to bring guys into the fold where you can get a good look at them and a great place to stash young or recovering players.
            It'd be really good for working out draft prospects. As well, it may appease some veterans to know that they'll get minutes, as opposed to developing rookies/sophomores on the NBA roster.

Comment

“This is a good day for everybody and I think the players in particular are going to be very pleased. They deserve a world class facility,” MLSE president and CEO Tim Leiweke said, noting that the planned facility played a role in resigning star point guard Kyle Lowry in July. “There are a lot of new practice facilities that have been built recently, but I don’t think there is another facility in the NBA that will be situated in such a beautiful location as this.”

Rob Ford has butted heads with MLSE in the past, voting against providing the company with a $10 million loan for the $120 million expansion of BMO Field, however on Wednesday the mayor voiced his support for the new practice facility, calling it a "good deal for everyone" and suggesting that it could be integral in bringing an NBA championship to the city within the next "one or two years."

Ford did, however, express some concern with the expected $162 hourly cost to the public for renting courts at the facility.

“I am going to move a motion at council that will help the kids in Toronto Community Housing (access the facility),” Ford said. “We have to give these kids the opportunity to come down to a practice facility where professionals play.”

Though the planning and approvals process could take until November, Leiweke said he expects construction on the facility to begin shortly after that with an anticipated completion date sometime before the 2016 NBA All Star Game.

“It is critical that those 1,200 members of the media come to Toronto and we blow them away with how beautiful and great our city is and a large part of the activities all week will be at the Raptors training centre," he said.

http://www.cp24.com/news/executive-c...lity-1.1967420
              I saw the other thread but just updating this one for continuity.... SOrry Mack.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                The format to make money in sports starts with winning. Do you really think bell and Rogers would be happy with blowing money and never getting a return? The reason they're spending so much is because the MLSE infrastructure has been so poorly managed and disregarded by the dumbass teachers pension.
                Ever gone to a Leafs game before?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  I have. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. Really smart counter point though.
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
                    If you can't change your woman, exchange your woman. #thesehoesaintroyal
                    I hope the mods discourage refering to women as "hoes" here. It's not funny, it's sexist.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                      It started with winning and has been running on fumes for 45 years.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X