Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ongoing process of making Toronto desirable for those who don't know better continues!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ongoing process of making Toronto desirable for those who don't know better continues!

Ownership? Check

CEO? Check

GM? Check

Front Office? Check

Dropped dead weight? Check

Unexpected playoff appearance? Check

Savvy new marketing campaign? Check

New practice facility? It's in the works! so Check

“We’re making progress with the practice facility, it’s something that we’ve been working on at the same pace and in the same conversations with (the BMO Field) renovation,” Leiweke told the Sun over the phone from New York City, where he is attending the NBA’s board of governors’ meeting.

“The city has been fantastic. We’re pretty much close to an agreement in principle. Part of what I promised (general manager Masai Ujiri) was the ability to announce it in the next couple of weeks. We want to have it done in time for the 2016 all-star game.”

Leiweke eased fears that the facility could be put in the middle of nowhere, as other NBA teams have done.

“We want it to be close to downtown, because that’s where most of the players live. It will be good for everybody. When we announce it, everybody will be very happy,” he said.

The team’s current practice court and weight room is on the third floor of the Air Canada Centre and will stay there for next season and likely half of the following one.

Night club in the ACC? WHAAAAAAT?!?! Check indeed

The goal is to have the new one completed “no later than late 2015” and MLSE will be working with Drake, its global ambassador, on putting a nightclub in the arena (as is the case in Miami), likely in the space currently occupied by the practice court.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/16...practice-court

The night club idea is brilliant. They've done a fantastic job with the area around the ACC. Amazing the change that can come in one year. I'm excited for what's to come.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

For how long do you guys think Tim L. will be around?
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
        Depends how well the Leafs do.

Comment

I hope for a very long time. He's doing some great work for the Raptors.

Comment

If a team has a more than adequate practice facility and all the trappings eg. weight room, spa, trainer rooms, cafetaria...as I believe the Raptors have right at the ACC then why the need to move? I have yet to understand this...unless there are some distractions or the "real estate" being occupied could be put to more profitable use. Its not like this is unique Raps move either, most other teams have their practice facilities remote to their arena too.

Comment

3 or 4 more years. He said in that interview he wouldn't be here for a long time.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I hope for a long time, but I'm not so sure. He did an interview with Bob McCown on PrimeTime Sports the other night, and those guys seemed convinced that he probably won't be around anymore than 18 months from now. They say he really wants the NFL here, but if that goes dry, he's bolting.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  3 or 4 more years. He said in that interview he wouldn't be here for a long time.
                  That's a bummer....
                  Nevermind what haters say,
                  ignore them ’til they fade away. - T.I

Comment

McCowan seems to think TL will be gone in a year... and how his wife is tired of the long winter. We need him in 2016 to help get Durant!

Comment

Has more to do with the board fighting since Rogers undercut Bell on the NHL deal, from what I've heard.

Comment

Related to OP and the practice facility:

Buzz kill alert!!!

If practice facilities don't matter, why do teams always give tours to the free agents they are recruiting? I don't think the facilities are going to make a top FA say, "GD man! I'm heading to Canada!" However it is a piece of the puzzle. Most players are going to spend most of their 'working' time in those facilities. I think having the best of the best only adds to the presentation the Raptors are trying to present: that they are a first class NBA franchise.

I think having spectacular facilities doesn't hurt so therefore, by my twisted logic, it helps.

Comment

Can't hurt to have the best facilities. Doesn't hurt to have the best anything really. More "the best" we have the better.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

All thing that matters is winning .
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think it's one of those things where if the facilities are really bad, you stand out for the wrong reasons, but if you have nice facilities, you don't get extra points. It's like dental hygiene. Make sure you floss.

Comment

Working...
                              X