Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78

Thread: ROUND 1 - Raptors vs Nets + The Refs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default ROUND 1 - Raptors vs Nets + The Refs

    does anyone else think that we are gonna be at a huge disadvantage against a huge, hyped up market like Brookyln with guys like Pierce & KG on the other side. The league wants to see a Heat/Nets 2nd rd matchup and the refs will be the Nets 6th man on the court..any thoughts?


  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm really hoping it won't be an issue, but logically it will be. I think we're good enough to beat them regardless, but I'm preparing to tear my hair out and throw things when the refs make some ridiculous calls to keep Brooklyn in the game.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Im preparing for the worst...NBA is notorious for influencing match-ups...I hope DeRozan, Lowry & co understand that they are playing against the call, we're playing handicapped but hopefully we don't see something as blatant as the 2002 Kings/Lakers series

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You don't get respect by bitching. Let the coach do that. I just hope DD and company don't let the refs take them out of the game.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    You don't get respect by bitching. Let the coach do that. I just hope DD and company don't let the refs take them out of the game.
    I would argue the exact opposite is true when it comes to refs. The players who get the most calls also do the most insane amount of bitching. Have you not seen how "Shocked!" Lebron looks after every foul called on him? I think it's the guys who talk to the refs all the time who eventually get their respect and start getting calls. That's probably why it's taken Derozan so long to start getting some respect, he's too soft spoken.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    You don't get respect by bitching. Let the coach do that. I just hope DD and company don't let the refs take them out of the game.
    Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I would argue the exact opposite is true when it comes to refs. The players who get the most calls also do the most insane amount of bitching. Have you not seen how "Shocked!" Lebron looks after every foul called on him? I think it's the guys who talk to the refs all the time who eventually get their respect and start getting calls. That's probably why it's taken Derozan so long to start getting some respect, he's too soft spoken.
    I think for game one the players should be respectful. If the whistles go badly, Casey should nail them to the cross, depending on the game, even get tossed.

    Put the pressure on them to call it fair, after that we should work the refs hard.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jack_Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    I think for game one the players should be respectful. If the whistles go badly, Casey should nail them to the cross, depending on the game, even get tossed.

    Put the pressure on them to call it fair, after that we should work the refs hard.
    I can't wait for the post-game mind games. Casey: "We expected the refs to favour Brooklyn. It's another obstacle we have to overcome."
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Thu Apr 17th, 2014 at 07:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jack_Bauer wrote: View Post
    I can't wait for the post-game mind games. Casey: "We expected the refs to favour Brooklyn. It's another obstacle we have to overcome."
    Can't imagine Casey ever saying this. I don't often pay close attention to Casey's robotic post game pressers so I could be wrong, but he usually doesn't criticize the refs at all I thought. Even the laugher in Sacramento he refused to bite. Of course the stress of the playoffs could change this though.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't even want to entertain this. As Jack said on the Talking Raptors podcast, suspect officiating is ultimately no excuse for losing. If the Raptors come out aggressive and impose their will on the game, officiating will end up being a non-issue.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Refereeing is going to be a factor, but not necessarily in terms of any bias. These are two of the highest fouls-per-possession and fouls-drawn-per-possession teams in the league, especially once you remove the 'hack-a-whomever' teams that are at the top of the fouls-drawn lists. On top of that, it's clear these two teams don't like each other and it's going to get chippy. There are going to be a lot of fouls called in this series, and fans from both sides are going to claim bias. There are going to be some bad calls; that's inevitable. Fouls are just another facet that one team will 'win', by playing with just the right amount of edge.

    And this is where Brooklyn's playoff experience gives them an advantage, because they'll have a better feel for just how much they can get away with. Winning the foul battle will be key, and I think proper deployment of Hansbrough is a big part of this strategy for the Raptors. He needs to be in there whenever Brooklyn has a mostly-bench unit with one or two starters, and he needs to get into those guys. He might not draw fouls in game 1, but over the course of a series, a healthy dose of Hansbrough is a good investment.
    When Brooklyn's going small, it'll also be key to limit penetration and not leave Jonas in those help-situations where he tends to pick up fouls. But my biggest concern, reffing-wise, is how much an attempted-drawn-charge-turned-blocking-call against Lowry can turn a game against the Raptors. Obviously you can't ask Lowry to change the way he plays, but he needs to be really smart about not putting himself in foul-trouble even if he thinks he's got a shot at the charge. Lowry in foul-trouble is a killer for us.
    A physical series benefits the Raptors. If Garnett doesn't have a sore back by game 3, if Pierce doesn't have a sore shoulder, the Raptors aren't playing the game right (and I'm not advocating intentionally injuring anyone here: just grind them down within what's allowed).
    tank-agnostic

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,435
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Refereeing is going to be a factor, but not necessarily in terms of any bias. These are two of the highest fouls-per-possession and fouls-drawn-per-possession teams in the league, especially once you remove the 'hack-a-whomever' teams that are at the top of the fouls-drawn lists. On top of that, it's clear these two teams don't like each other and it's going to get chippy. There are going to be a lot of fouls called in this series, and fans from both sides are going to claim bias. There are going to be some bad calls; that's inevitable. Fouls are just another facet that one team will 'win', by playing with just the right amount of edge.

    And this is where Brooklyn's playoff experience gives them an advantage, because they'll have a better feel for just how much they can get away with. Winning the foul battle will be key, and I think proper deployment of Hansbrough is a big part of this strategy for the Raptors. He needs to be in there whenever Brooklyn has a mostly-bench unit with one or two starters, and he needs to get into those guys. He might not draw fouls in game 1, but over the course of a series, a healthy dose of Hansbrough is a good investment.
    When Brooklyn's going small, it'll also be key to limit penetration and not leave Jonas in those help-situations where he tends to pick up fouls. But my biggest concern, reffing-wise, is how much an attempted-drawn-charge-turned-blocking-call against Lowry can turn a game against the Raptors. Obviously you can't ask Lowry to change the way he plays, but he needs to be really smart about not putting himself in foul-trouble even if he thinks he's got a shot at the charge. Lowry in foul-trouble is a killer for us.
    A physical series benefits the Raptors. If Garnett doesn't have a sore back by game 3, if Pierce doesn't have a sore shoulder, the Raptors aren't playing the game right (and I'm not advocating intentionally injuring anyone here: just grind them down within what's allowed).
    In summary, hansbrough break kg back and punch paul in the shoulder

    And we got ourselves a wictory baby
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    In summary, hansbrough break kg back and punch paul in the shoulder

    And we got ourselves a wictory baby
    Did Somone say Wictory?

    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

    "I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game."

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Did Somone say Wictory?

    This clip has been posted like 459 times in the last few days....

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ANGERVILLE: Population 1
    Posts
    7,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This clip has been posted like 459 times in the last few days....
    Okay here's a better JV


    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

    "I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game."

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jack_Bauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Refereeing is going to be a factor, but not necessarily in terms of any bias. These are two of the highest fouls-per-possession and fouls-drawn-per-possession teams in the league, especially once you remove the 'hack-a-whomever' teams that are at the top of the fouls-drawn lists. On top of that, it's clear these two teams don't like each other and it's going to get chippy. There are going to be a lot of fouls called in this series, and fans from both sides are going to claim bias. There are going to be some bad calls; that's inevitable. Fouls are just another facet that one team will 'win', by playing with just the right amount of edge.

    And this is where Brooklyn's playoff experience gives them an advantage, because they'll have a better feel for just how much they can get away with. Winning the foul battle will be key, and I think proper deployment of Hansbrough is a big part of this strategy for the Raptors. He needs to be in there whenever Brooklyn has a mostly-bench unit with one or two starters, and he needs to get into those guys. He might not draw fouls in game 1, but over the course of a series, a healthy dose of Hansbrough is a good investment.
    When Brooklyn's going small, it'll also be key to limit penetration and not leave Jonas in those help-situations where he tends to pick up fouls. But my biggest concern, reffing-wise, is how much an attempted-drawn-charge-turned-blocking-call against Lowry can turn a game against the Raptors. Obviously you can't ask Lowry to change the way he plays, but he needs to be really smart about not putting himself in foul-trouble even if he thinks he's got a shot at the charge. Lowry in foul-trouble is a killer for us.
    A physical series benefits the Raptors. If Garnett doesn't have a sore back by game 3, if Pierce doesn't have a sore shoulder, the Raptors aren't playing the game right (and I'm not advocating intentionally injuring anyone here: just grind them down within what's allowed).
    Couldn't agree more! Very good analysis.

    Call me naive, but I don't think the refs will have any bias. Like octothorp alluded to, both teams are very apt at drawing fouls (7th and 8th since Jan 1 in FTA Rate) and also committing them (3rd and 6th) .

    The key will be dictating the physicality. Hansbrough is key for this, but Demar and Lowry also must make efforts to get to the line. The Net are an average fouls shooting team, so if the FT's are even, we'll have the advantage.

    Also, without looking at the numbers, I think the Raps actually had the FTA advantage head to head against Brooklyn. I know the playoffs are a different beast, but, all things equal, I expect free throws should be even in the series. Hopefully the zebras don't make me look like a fool.
    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Thu Apr 17th, 2014 at 07:22 PM.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,709
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Refereeing is going to be a factor, but not necessarily in terms of any bias. These are two of the highest fouls-per-possession and fouls-drawn-per-possession teams in the league, especially once you remove the 'hack-a-whomever' teams that are at the top of the fouls-drawn lists. On top of that, it's clear these two teams don't like each other and it's going to get chippy. There are going to be a lot of fouls called in this series, and fans from both sides are going to claim bias. There are going to be some bad calls; that's inevitable. Fouls are just another facet that one team will 'win', by playing with just the right amount of edge.

    And this is where Brooklyn's playoff experience gives them an advantage, because they'll have a better feel for just how much they can get away with. Winning the foul battle will be key, and I think proper deployment of Hansbrough is a big part of this strategy for the Raptors. He needs to be in there whenever Brooklyn has a mostly-bench unit with one or two starters, and he needs to get into those guys. He might not draw fouls in game 1, but over the course of a series, a healthy dose of Hansbrough is a good investment.
    When Brooklyn's going small, it'll also be key to limit penetration and not leave Jonas in those help-situations where he tends to pick up fouls. But my biggest concern, reffing-wise, is how much an attempted-drawn-charge-turned-blocking-call against Lowry can turn a game against the Raptors. Obviously you can't ask Lowry to change the way he plays, but he needs to be really smart about not putting himself in foul-trouble even if he thinks he's got a shot at the charge. Lowry in foul-trouble is a killer for us.
    A physical series benefits the Raptors. If Garnett doesn't have a sore back by game 3, if Pierce doesn't have a sore shoulder, the Raptors aren't playing the game right (and I'm not advocating intentionally injuring anyone here: just grind them down within what's allowed).
    Oh I think the calls will be going Brooklyns way, and i also agree, the only way to beat that is to bear down and play harder. And knowing you're gonna get whistled...HARD FOULS. Garnett and Pierce need to be on the floor always.....just bash the shit out of them..... make it a dirty and hard fought series and Toronto wins

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jack_Bauer wrote: View Post
    I can't wait for the post-game mind games. Casey: "We expected the refs to favour Brooklyn. It's another obstacle we have to overcome."
    He could get fined for saying that.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just hope our speed over the nets mean they have to foul to stop us in a obvious way that even the most corrupt ref needs to blow that whistle or be exposed for the favoritism the nba tends to show ever so subtly

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie Niagara Raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Niagara Region
    Posts
    189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    agree with BigCamB ... ujiri and casey seem like no excuses type of people so I don't see him to be the whiny about things not going their way ... unless its so bad, that the nba would have to apologize like they did a few times last year ... it would have to be that bad

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm not worried about the Raps drawing fouls against the Nets. Brooklyn doesn't have any elite defenders and will be a step slow. Raps will get to the line if they're aggressive. I AM worried about the Nets getting bailed out on the offensive end, though. Officiating has become totally based on missed shots dictating foul calls. If the Raps are playing hard and forcing bad shots, they may get whistled down as "reputation calls" for the veteran Nets (he can't possibly miss on his own, he's Paul Pierce!). This is dangerous for our team as early foul trouble not only takes guys off the floor, but affects their D the rest of the game.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

    @clericalbeats

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •