Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ROUND 1 - Raptors vs Nets + The Refs

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, I guess in a tough game, with two team going hard on defence , 8-0 foul calls is more just a small coincidence. Just bad luck really, and lets be honest, its all torontos fault. Toronto is ordinary and dont really deserve to be there......as the 3 seed, playing a FUCKING 6 SEED.

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HEEEEEE

Stand up for your team ffsakes

Sometimes, IT IS happening.

Read some posts acrosss north america..... non-raps fans, gus from southern cities....go do some research.

You gullible pricks are so easy to take it from for the NBA brass...... they have you sussed out, thats for sure.

When the officials cooly took the momentum away in every game last time these guys met in the playoffs, it was just a coincidence then too right..... two completely different rosters competing, same fucking results....almost a mirror-like scenario the way it went down.

Cuz ya, complete idiots like me, Tinfoil hat wearing crazies like me just are SO weak and soft we need excuses. I
    d rather see my team lose by 40 with an honest call.

hahahhaaaa

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Although really, I think the most likely scenario is that the refs are just bad

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Ya, I guess in a tough game, with two team going hard on defence , 8-0 foul calls is more just a small coincidence. Just bad luck really, and lets be honest, its all torontos fault.
    where you get 8-0 from? i got fouls called in the 4th Q at 2 to 1 in favour of BKN before we started fouling intentionally at the end of the game according to this play by play. even going back into the third, 8-0 appears to be a fantasy of your sad raptor-fan persecution complex. it's nice that you already had a built-in excuse before the series even started though.

the officiating was fine, relative to how atrocious it often is in this league. they stopped calling shit both ways in the 4th. it's the playoffs, suck it up princess. as others have noted if we want more calls we should be more aggressive and stop settling for jumpers.

4. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the officiating was pretty good. Outside of the DWill flop, the JV block on KG and those two tic-tack fouls on Ross to start. There were some bad calls on the Nets too so it was about equal.

We just played like a big duece

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote chris wrote: View Post
    where you get 8-0 from? i got fouls called in the 4th Q at 2 to 1 in favour of BKN before we started fouling intentionally at the end of the game according to this play by play. even going back into the third, 8-0 appears to be a fantasy of your sad raptor-fan persecution complex. it's nice that you already had a built-in excuse before the series even started though.

the officiating was fine, relative to how atrocious it often is in this league. they stopped calling shit both ways in the 4th. it's the playoffs, suck it up princess. as others have noted if we want more calls we should be more aggressive and stop settling for jumpers.
    Hey chris...... you read much? or do you just pick out the parts you like and go from there?

weak sauce

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Hey chris...... you read much? or do you just pick out the parts you like and go from there?

weak sauce
    Prove this 8-0 foul call stuff.

I see 3-1 until the intentional fouls started in the 4th.
    and 23-19 for the game.

Either back it up or stop spouting bullshit.

8. Like chris liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There were zero defensive fouls called against Brooklyn until the game was out of hand

Zero defensive fouls, in an entire quarter, called against a physical team

Very suspect

Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[IMG] [/IMG]
    Zach Lowe doesn't like our whining.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Conspiracy theories offer easy answers by casting the world as simpler and more predictable than it is. Their popularity may pose a threat to societal well-being
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...racy-theories/

people who harbor conspiracist thoughts are also more inclined to paranoid ideation and schizotypy, a mild form of schizophrenia.
    LMAO!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The Flight MH370 case study.

13. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    [IMG] [/IMG]
    Zach Lowe doesn't like our whining.

I think he's also referring to the Cathal Kelly article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle18088734/

Whining about calls is fine (to an extent), but claiming a bias or conspiracy is silly and makes the fan base look bad since it seems we're all getting painted with the same brush. Which sucks because no one was paying any attention before, and now it seems like they're only focusing on the whining.

15. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are conspiracies of planned events, in which a small cabal group themselves around a dingy table by the light of a dimly lit bulb, and determine who will take what specific actions to accomplish the common nefarious aim.

Then their are conspiracies of attitude, culture and values in which it is okay to ignore fouls committed by star players, to whistle relative newcomers to the league for minor and ignorable infractions in a different context, and to in which it is believed that it benefits the league when big market and popular teams with easily recognizable players make it to the finals.

To think that the first is applicable in the case of the Raptors is indeed silly. To think that the second case is not applicable is naive and ignores documented reality.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    There are conspiracies of planned events, in which a small cabal group themselves around a dingy table by the light of a dimly lit bulb, and determine who will take what specific actions to accomplish the common nefarious aim.

Then their are conspiracies of attitude, culture and values in which it is okay to ignore fouls committed by star players, to whistle relative newcomers to the league for minor and ignorable infractions in a different context, and to in which it is believed that it benefits the league when big market and popular teams with easily recognizable players make it to the finals.

To think that the first is applicable in the case of the Raptors is indeed silly. To think that the second case is not applicable is naive and ignores documented reality.
    This is where San Antonio steps in and throws the theory out the window. They're neither a big market, nor a ratings driver, yet they've been the best team (in any sport) for basically 20 years.

I agree that star calls happen. There's no denying that. But to say that star calls happen to help TV ratings, is just as paranoid as a fake moon landing.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    This is where San Antonio steps in and throws the theory out the window. They're neither a big market, nor a ratings driver, yet they've been the best team (in any sport) for basically 20 years.

I agree that star calls happen. There's no denying that. But to say that star calls happen to help TV ratings, is just as paranoid as a fake moon landing.
    It's just frustrating because of the impact it can have on outcomes, even if it's inadvertent with no intent to manipulate.

For instance, in game 1 KG gets a block on Jonas that may have been a foul. Then Jonas gets a clean block that is called a foul. That's a possible 4 pt swing because of a future HOFer getting a call over a youngster (even though the youngster outplayed him all game).

A 4 pt swing could well be critical to the outcome of a basketball game. And it can happen just because, well, officiating is very screwy and pretty terrible in the NBA.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The refs were fine...if you want an example of biased reffing watch the Charlotte-Miami game

Game one had 12 fta for Charlotte and i think 26 for Miami

Al Jefferson did not attempt a FT.

20. Like chris liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    It's just frustrating because of the impact it can have on outcomes, even if it's inadvertent with no intent to manipulate.

For instance, in game 1 KG gets a block on Jonas that may have been a foul. Then Jonas gets a clean block that is called a foul. That's a possible 4 pt swing because of a future HOFer getting a call over a youngster (even though the youngster outplayed him all game).

A 4 pt swing could well be critical to the outcome of a basketball game. And it can happen just because, well, officiating is very screwy and pretty terrible in the NBA.

I couldn't agree more. But that human element will always be there (until we replace refs with droids )

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more. But that human element will always be there (until we replace refs with droids )
    I should've gone into engineering

Post Thanks / Like

And I accept the human element in terms of error. Just wish the errors had nothing to do with the name on the back (or even the front) of the jersey.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And I accept the human element in terms of error. Just wish the errors had nothing to do with the name on the back (or even the front) of the jersey.

But it works like this, you see Kevin Durant make swish after swish after swish, then you see him shoot an airball and your thought process is "he must've been fouled" because what happened goes against the norm. Guys like Durant, Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, etc. build up a reputation as being able to make shots, so when they don't you give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a 50/50 call every time. Of course it's not right but it's just how our mind's operate.

If we were playing pickup and you hack me 4 times in a row while I'm shooting the 5th time I miss most people are going to think you fouled me.

Again if we had played a great game and lost because of bad calls that's one thing, but playing like shit and complaining about a 3-1 foul disparity in the 4th quarter is idiotic.

25. Like chris liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...nets-referees/

Tim Donaghy was on The Jeff Blair Show and basically said the refs are programmed to favour one team over the other. I don't know how credible he is after the whole betting scandal but still gives interesting insight on how refs are prepared for playoff games

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information