The Big J?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big J?

Fair warning: Anyone that loves The King is going to love this stat.

LBJ’s triple-double against the Pistons on Tuesday moved him into the third slot among active players, behind Jason Kidd (104) and Grant Hill (29). James has 28. Additionally, with 23 triple-doubles of at least 25 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists, he topped Michael Jordan (22) and ranks third behind Magic Johnson (40) and Larry Bird (29). Not bad company if you ask me.

The all-time mark of career triple-doubles is 181 by Oscar Robertson.

What do you think? Will LeBron pass Kidd? Will he pass the Big O?
    DimeMag.com

What do you guys think? Triple doubles don't necessarily equate to championships, just ask Jason Kidd, but it is a great sign of dominance on the floor. Can he beat the Big O, Dime asked? My answer is hell no.

I don't believe LBJ will even get to Jason Kidd.

Big heavy forwards tend to lose alot of energy as they age.

Comment

I would have to diagree with that. LeBron is so talented, strong and big that he can reinvent his game in later years, moving to PF and playing more post up, should he slow down. He'll still be a good passer and draw double. He'll be in better position to get boards and he's always going to be able to score the ball.

LeBron isn't a guy who relies on his athleticism to get it done, he exploits his athleticism to dominate. He would still be a really good player if he didn't have his quickness or hops.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I would have to diagree with that. LeBron is so talented, strong and big that he can reinvent his game in later years, moving to PF and playing more post up, should he slow down.
        you never know how the future will be, injuries and age tend to takes a toll on the body especially big guys.

I think Lebron will get to 60 in his career.

Comment

You're right, we don't know what the future may be, which makes me wonder why we're lining the guy up with some injuries when he has zero history of major injuries or anything remotely troubling. MJ lasted fine. Kobe is too. LeBron is bigger but its muscle, not fat. I see him keeping this going, he doesn't use his body recklessly like Wade.

Comment

Well, lets do some, shall we? (Mind you, I did not account for any past injuries that saw him sit out some games)

Lebron is 25. It took him 562 games to get to 28 triple doubles. Assuming he doesn't endure any career ending injuries, he should in the League until he is late 30-ish. Lets say he retires at 38. Thats 13 more years he'll be in the league. 13 x 82 + 12 more games left in the regular season = 1078 more games. Will he pass Jason Kidd? Unlikely. Will he pass the Big O? I wouldn't bet on it.
            Last edited by Dark Knight; Sat Mar 20, 2010, 01:13 PM.
            "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

I think we need a little more analysis to accurately predict where he may land if he stays healthy. If you want to extrapolate you need to at least come up with a rate at which he gets triple doubles. Then you need to figure out if this rate had been increasing since he entered the league, which I'm sure it has since he has gone from very good player to second best player in the league. I would imagine the bulk of his triple doubles have come in the past few years.

I don't have access to calculate the above but I can calculate what he would need to do moving forward. If 1078 is the magic number then he needs to be clipping along at a rate of:

((104-28)/1079)*100 = 7.04%

And that's assuming J-Kidd doesn't get anymore. I don't think he has many more left in him so even if the number is extended it won't be by much. So the percentage of James' games for his career, if he plays 13 more years, that he needs to get triple doubles in to be Kidd for 2nd is 7.04%.

Just for fun, let's do the Big O too:
              ((181-28)/1079)*100 = 14.18%

Rest easy Big O.
              Last edited by Apollo; Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X