No announcement yet.

Everything Greivis Vasquez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's gotten to the point with Vasquez where I'm excited to see him check in the game. Dude is just fearless, and even with with his defensive liabilities still has an impact on the game. Big turn around from me cringing whenever he took his yolo shots when first becoming a raptor. Vasquez is one bad vato lol
    "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Comment

I love his calmness. He always has this look on his face like he thinks he is going to make every shot. On that last play inbounding the ball he had this look on his face like he knew he'd be able to find the right guy. He has grown on me, his defense is still shit but I love his savvy.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
        Quoted from Sportsnet.ca Article 'Vasquez steps up for Raptors in Game 2
        “I’ll tell you this, without this bench – and I don’t say this for me, I say it mostly for guys like Steve Novak, Landry Fields…(Nando) De Colo – that’s huge when you have real professional players in this locker room. That’s why we win,” he said, without taking anything away from the starters and their importance or impact. He spoke with pride for his fellow reserves, not disrespect for what the first five provide for Toronto. (...)
        “As long as we win, and beat these guys and win this series, I can come off the bench for 10 more years,”

Source - Click here

I used to think this kid thought he had Kyle's spot wrapped up. I might have jumped the shark; the point guard discussions of the last 7 years have been infuriating. Calderon wasn't/isn't/never will be a playoff caliber starting point guard in the NBA. Stereotyping is bad, and I may have been quick to lump Grevis Molasses in with'em.

He's been consistent: porous defence, willing and capable of taking and making the big shot and a great teammate (it would seem). Now it seems he's humble and willing to take a back seat.
        He has said several times he wants to be a starter in this league though, which worries me. He might be fine being a back up for half a season when we're winning, but what if we re sign him and go into a slump at some point next season?

Maybe I'm being paranoid because of the aforementioned 7 years of PG controversy.

Comment

As per one of the postings on the main page it was a good observation that Casey used GV much better from a matchup standpoint by putting him on Livingstone for defensive purposes...livingstone likes to postup and is not the swiftest guard himself...and this was a check GV handled really well in game 2.

Comment

I think Vasquez' defensive shortcomings are overblown. He has slow feet, but his height allows him to compensate by being able to play off his man more than shorter defenders. PG's as a group are not good defenders. Vasguez is a negative defender, but an average or slightly above average defender among PG's.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              PG's as a group are not good defenders.
              I disagree strongly with this. PG is a very tough position to guard more so than they are 'not good' defenders.

PG's are put into a ton of screen and roll actions and need to know where all of his teammates are behind him in order to know where to force the ball into good help positions (because it is hard to stop a PG with individual D). That is extremely hard to do consistently and effectively, which may be why they are seemingly less able defenders than other wing positions where individual match ups and rotation help are the focus. Guarding the PG is the second most active defensive position behind the C position.

Comment

Love Vasquez but using him hinders DD and Ross development. Next season we shouldn't need a two guard rotation if DD and Ross learn how to handle the ball.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                  He has said several times he wants to be a starter in this league though, which worries me. He might be fine being a back up for half a season when we're winning, but what if we re sign him and go into a slump at some point next season?

Maybe I'm being paranoid because of the aforementioned 7 years of PG controversy.
                  He definitely came in wanting to compete for the starting role, but ask him about Kyle nowadays and watch his face light up. He truly looks up to Lowry and understands that he has a lot to learn. He does keep reiterating that he's a starting PG in this league, but I think he also knows that he can get so much better, and looks to Kyle to help him improve.

Comment

I can't think of a single NBA team that would try to sign Vasquez as their starting PG this offseason, so I think we're safe there. He'll be offered backup gigs, but probably not ones as good as ours where he gets to play with the starting PG quite a bit.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                      I can't think of a single NBA team that would try to sign Vasquez as their starting PG this offseason, so I think we're safe there. He'll be offered backup gigs, but probably not ones as good as ours where he gets to play with the starting PG quite a bit.
                      Pistons, NYK, Bucks if they think it'll benefit their young players' develoment. Do the pacers need someone who can run an offense better than George Hill? Lakers.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                        Pistons, NYK, Bucks if they think it'll benefit their young players' develoment. Do the pacers need someone who can run an offense better than George Hill? Lakers.
                        Pistons have too much invested in Jennings to give his job to Vasquez. The Knicks have approximately negative $20M dollars available under the cap so they're out of the running. The Bucks giving up on Knight for Vasquez seems pretty damn unlikely, but it is the Bucks so I'll give you that one. The Pacers are also capped out. Lakers are a maybe but I expect them to make a bigger splash than Vasquez. Basically, I think we would match whatever those teams offer without much thought as it'd be in that $5M or less range that I'm comfortable resigning Vasquez.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post

Yeah those interviews along with his aforementioned YOLO shots mos def water painted a picture we've all seen before.

It's that I now view those comments as trying to establish himself. It seems his move to Sactown was a body blow and he might have felt he needed to come out swinging.

I'm not sold on this idea, just warming to it at a rate I would have balked at weeks ago.

Props to Greivis, he's turned my opinion however slightly with his play and his attitude.

The greater question for the off season might be, how we take advantage of his game not should we.
                          Last edited by Raptor Jesus; Wed Apr 23, 2014, 03:09 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Piston are moving Jennings to SG where he belongs but they can draft Ennis or Smart. Memphis using Conley and GV together?

Comment

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
                              I love his calmness. He always has this look on his face like he thinks he is going to make every shot. On that last play inbounding the ball he had this look on his face like he knew he'd be able to find the right guy. He has grown on me, his defense is still shit but I love his savvy.
                              He looked directly into Garnett's eyes and didn't give a shit, he was really calm. He's slowly becoming one of my favourite raptors doode is so humble and doesn't get caught up in I'm better than you attitude
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                Piston are moving Jennings to SG where he belongs but they can draft Ennis or Smart. Memphis using Conley and GV together?

I don't see Memphis wanting him back, they already gave up on him once
                                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X