Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2: Brooklyn Nets 95 - Toronto Raptors 100 (Series Tied 1-1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Anyone know, is a Nets steal considered a Raps turnover?

I have much more confidence in this team after game 2. The feel was much different and the team seemed much more comfortable on the floor. The raps were more able to play "their" game last night than in game one. But like others, I am also concerned about TO's. I think if the Raps settle in and start taking care of the ball like they did in the regular season, we should be able to handle the Nets in the rest of the series. And taking care of the ball better will be necessary as it's very likely the Nets start shooting better. Keep getting into the paint, stay physical, tough D, take care of the ball and keep crashing the glass! Go Raps!!
    Yes a Net's steal is considered a turnover. There was more stripping in the ACC last night then at Zanzibar. No wonder Rob Ford was in the crowd. (zing!)
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Disagree.

Hansbrough not a good player? What's not good about a high motor big who gets offensive rebounds and free throws at a high rate, while being a physical player? He also has the most playoff experience of anyone on the roster.
      Hansbrough has good qualities, but with a tight playoff rotation, I'd rather give those minutes to any of Amir, Jonas or Patterson.

Comment

Disagree.

Hansbrough not a good player? What's not good about a high motor big who gets offensive rebounds and free throws at a high rate, while being a physical player? He also has the most playoff experience of anyone on the roster.
        I do love watching Hansbrough, but he looks better than he is. He can't avoid contact (ends up shooting FT's where others would have made the basket or would be shooting an and1), and is often a black hole (went almost 4 months without a multiple assist game).
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          Underrated stat of the night: KG played 19 minutes

It's like watching a National Geographic where an old lion king is slowly dying
          Next two games in Brooklyn, KG and Pierce only get one day off between games. Might have an impact.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Hansbrough has good qualities, but with a tight playoff rotation, I'd rather give those minutes to any of Amir, Jonas or Patterson.
            I'm not advocating that Hansbrough start or take significant minutes, but there were times in Game 2 that JV and/or Amir looked tired. 2 minutes of Hansbrough in that situation = 2 minutes of rest for JV/Amir and 2 minutes of hell for the Nets front-court. JV played 35 mins in game 2, a feat he only did 10 times all season long. It's hard for a big guy to go from 28 per game (both JV and Amir's season avg) to 35 per game and still be as affective, especially in a physical playoff series. A few minutes here or there to spell each of our 3 main bigs makes sense.

Game 1 saw 6 minutes for Chuck Hayes.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              I do love watching Hansbrough, but he looks better than he is. He can't avoid contact (ends up shooting FT's where others would have made the basket or would be shooting an and1), and is often a black hole (went almost 4 months without a multiple assist game).
              Not sure if there is any truth to the and-1 vs 2 FTA theory, but fairly confident that you don't either, so that's irrelevant. Hansbrough draws fouls at an elite rate, in tight playoff games, getting the other team into penalty or their players into foul trouble is a huge plus. Tyler is the best of our bigs at doing that. That's on top of everything else he brings to the table. He should be getting about 8-9 minutes a night.

Hansbrough has a Free Throw Rate of .944 (that's the # of FTA per FGA). Next highest on the Raps, Demar at .448. JV is the next big at .385. The next highest NBA player, with more than 900 MP this season, is Dwight Howard at .798. In an every possession counts series, Hansbrough is a great player to have.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• While I really enjoyed being there last night and the Raps effort what bothered me was the 2 open looks that Pierce got from 3 point range. How can that happen? Feels like we got a little lucky.

Comment

I'm not advocating that Hansbrough start or take significant minutes, but there were times in Game 2 that JV and/or Amir looked tired. 2 minutes of Hansbrough in that situation = 2 minutes of rest for JV/Amir and 2 minutes of hell for the Nets front-court. JV played 35 mins in game 2, a feat he only did 10 times all season long. It's hard for a big guy to go from 28 per game (both JV and Amir's season avg) to 35 per game and still be as affective, especially in a physical playoff series. A few minutes here or there to spell each of our 3 main bigs makes sense.

Game 1 saw 6 minutes for Chuck Hayes.
                  While I'm happy that Hayes & Hansbrough aren't getting significant minutes, I agree that there are times when fresh legs would be better than dead legs. One example was Valanciunas playing the entire 1st quarter, where he was clearly tired and it cost the team a few rebounds/points. I don't want players beyond the core-8 (including Fields over Salmons) getting much playing time, but the odd minute for Hayes, Hansbrough or Salmons could be beneficial.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    While I'm happy that Hayes & Hansbrough aren't getting significant minutes, I agree that there are times when fresh legs would be better than dead legs. One example was Valanciunas playing the entire 1st quarter, where he was clearly tired and it cost the team a few rebounds/points. I don't want players beyond the core-8 (including Fields over Salmons) getting much playing time, but the odd minute for Hayes, Hansbrough or Salmons could be beneficial.
                    Disagree on Hayes (don't see what he really brings to the table at this point). Salmons would only be worth it if Fields isn't getting any burn for some reason.

I can't remember which quarter it was, but there was the time that Plumlee grabbed the offensive board with about 2:33 left to play. Plumlee only got there because JV was gassed and couldn't. That there is the perfect time for 2+ mins of Hansbrough. Do that for 3 of the 4 quarters, and there is about 6 minutes right there that could allow more rest for our starters (doubled up with the quarter break)

Comment

Not sure if there is any truth to the and-1 vs 2 FTA theory, but fairly confident that you don't either, so that's irrelevant. Hansbrough draws fouls at an elite rate, in tight playoff games, getting the other team into penalty or their players into foul trouble is a huge plus. Tyler is the best of our bigs at doing that. That's on top of everything else he brings to the table. He should be getting about 8-9 minutes a night.

Hansbrough has a Free Throw Rate of .944 (that's the # of FTA per FGA). Next highest on the Raps, Demar at .448. JV is the next big at .385. The next highest NBA player, with more than 900 MP this season, is Dwight Howard at .798. In an every possession counts series, Hansbrough is a great player to have.
                      FTA/FGA can be skewed. Hansbrough gets fouled a lot, as you say, but he never converts those FGA's - so they don't count as FGA's. As such, his FTA/FGA skyrockets.

My problem isn't with his offense, though it is ugly and only somewhat effective. He's just entirely terrible defensively. I can live with him providing a few minutes if all the bigs are exhausted, but I'd much rather up Patterson's 24 minutes to take some of the load off Amir and JV than introduce the lesser Hansbrough.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'm very concerned with the turnovers. 2 games and the Raps have their 3rd and 8th highest turnover-games of the season.

Going into Brooklyn, the Raps need to take better care of the ball. We can't give away so many freebies.

I also don't like the idea of becoming an iso-Demar offence down the stretch. He hit his shots last night, but that is a dangerous way to play.
                        They played too fast. They need to relax. Kyle Lowry needs to do a better job of controlling the tempo of the game. He was very erratic last night. Reminds me of the last time they played the Pistons. That was the game where Lowry fouled out late in the 4th.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Disagree on Hayes (don't see what he really brings to the table at this point). Salmons would only be worth it if Fields isn't getting any burn for some reason.

I can't remember which quarter it was, but there was the time that Plumlee grabbed the offensive board with about 2:33 left to play. Plumlee only got there because JV was gassed and couldn't. That there is the perfect time for 2+ mins of Hansbrough. Do that for 3 of the 4 quarters, and there is about 6 minutes right there that could allow more rest for our starters (doubled up with the quarter break)
                          I only included Hayes because he's a capable player, but it obviously all comes down to matchups. Against Brooklyn specifically, I don't know why Hayes is even dressed, frankly.

That play you mentioned was exactly the one I had in mind, but there were a few other missed rebounds and fumbled rebounds/passes around that same time. Not only does it give the key player a bit more rest, but it improves the on-court performance of the team and avoids ticky-tack fouls that tired players often get called for. Again, it's maybe 2-5 minutes throughout the game, against backup players, in non-critical moments.

Comment

I think the Nets are better when Plumlee is on the floor than KG but he has been in foul trouble. Hansborough at the end of the first quarter to get Plumlee into even quicker foul trouble could be an added benefit.

JV getting gassed (or in foul trouble) too early could hurt us down the stretch too. We really need him in the second half of games

Comment

• We need to give Patterson more minutes. Not this Hansbrough/Hayes garbage. Patterson can handle 30 minutes. There's your 6 minutes of rest for Amir/Jonas right there.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                FTA/FGA can be skewed. Hansbrough gets fouled a lot, as you say, but he never converts those FGA's - so they don't count as FGA's. As such, his FTA/FGA skyrockets.

My problem isn't with his offense, though it is ugly and only somewhat effective. He's just entirely terrible defensively. I can live with him providing a few minutes if all the bigs are exhausted, but I'd much rather up Patterson's 24 minutes to take some of the load off Amir and JV than introduce the lesser Hansbrough.
                                Everyone's stats are skewed the same way though, so his ratio is still utterly ridiculous when compared to every other NBA player.

I have no problem giving Patterson a few more minutes, say closer to 30, in fact, I've already said that I think he should start over Amir at this point. But JV is averaging 7 more minutes per game in the playoffs, and people thought he looked gassed in the regular season. Too much of a drastic change for a young big experiencing the playoffs for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                                X