#FreeLandyFields vs Brooklyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully wrote: View Post
    You don't take a flamethrower to your rotations/game plan for a series based on a couple of possessions in game one, especially if that means throwing a guy in the fire who has 50+ DNPs this season. Fields isn't some type of secret weapon that Casey has refused to play or hasn't figured out how to utilize properly. He's a guy with one useful arm that has gotten meaningful minutes in exactly 2 games since the beginning of December.

I'm not against giving Fields a shot at some point, and I'd expect that he gets a look if the Raptors continue to get burned by some of the Nets smaller lineups... but it's not a simple solution. Playing Fields at any point brings a long it's own set of problems - mainly having to go 4 v. 5 on offense.
    I was with you until the 4 vs 5 comment as this hasn't deterred Casey in the past (I.e. Hayes, Novak). I do agree that Fields might help but isn't the saviour. Fouls will be huge in this series in order to keep our starters on the floor. Also needs some in game adjustments if things aren't working. Can't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Not a fan of the OP's suggestion. Now is not the time to be throwing the rotation that got us this far, out the window. The last thing we need is a guy who's been sitting on his ass for the last 5 months, to be thrust into the spotlight with the message, "win us the series by shutting down Pierce". Casey would be skinned alive if he actually did this.

Pierce definitely needs to be slowed down, but Fields is not the answer. We need Amir to run more post-ups against Pierce. Make him play defense. He'll be exhausted by the 4th quarter if he's expected to out-muscle Amir all game. It's all on Amir.

And let's not forget that if Ross stays out of foul trouble, we see a lot less of Salmons.
      Exactly. I have no idea why the Raps wouldn't give amir the chance in the low block. Thats what I'll be looking for next game. Let him battle with Pierce for deep position and look to give him the ball in the post often. Force the Nets to double and work the ball out of the post. Same goes for JV, he should get more touches against Garnett. If we are gonna depend so much on our perimeter game, then this will be a very tough series to win. We should be making the Nets adjust to us, not the other way around.

Comment

Seems like Jack Armstrong agrees with the idea to use Fields at the forward spot, in an attempt to slow down PP/JJ.

LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=449978

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Not a fan of the OP's suggestion. Now is not the time to be throwing the rotation that got us this far, out the window. The last thing we need is a guy who's been sitting on his ass for the last 5 months, to be thrust into the spotlight with the message, "win us the series by shutting down Pierce". Casey would be skinned alive if he actually did this.

Pierce definitely needs to be slowed down, but Fields is not the answer. We need Amir to run more post-ups against Pierce. Make him play defense. He'll be exhausted by the 4th quarter if he's expected to out-muscle Amir all game. It's all on Amir.

And let's not forget that if Ross stays out of foul trouble, we see a lot less of Salmons.
          I agree. As much as part of me wants to see Fields in there, now's probably not time to get him up to speed. They should have been working Fields into the rotation over the past month. (I've been complaining about this for awhile now; if we think the Pierce situation is bad, just wait till we play Miami; we'll be completely us s creek guarding Lebron.) They should have been but they didn't, and that ship has sailed.

That said, we simply cannot have a big guarding Pierce in crunch time. We've seen up close that this won't work. Sure, play Amir (if he's healthy!) against him for the first three and half quarters, but there has to be an adjustment at the end. And in offence/defence situations, getting Fields in there one possession at a time might be a smart play. Or even put Ross on him (with DD on JJ, Lowry on DWill, and GV on Livingston). Anything but a big.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            Exactly. I have no idea why the Raps wouldn't give amir the chance in the low block. Thats what I'll be looking for next game. Let him battle with Pierce for deep position and look to give him the ball in the post often. Force the Nets to double and work the ball out of the post. Same goes for JV, he should get more touches against Garnett. If we are gonna depend so much on our perimeter game, then this will be a very tough series to win. We should be making the Nets adjust to us, not the other way around.
            But amir doesn't have much post skills other than that weird floater hook shot in the middle of the paint. It goes in usually but it looks really awkward
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
              But amir doesn't have much post skills other than that weird floater hook shot in the middle of the paint. It goes in usually but it looks really awkward
              Its also the shot that allows Amir to be in the leaderboard for FG% every year
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Amir probably doesn't need much more than that against a shorter/weaker defender.

Comment

Doesn't matter if Amir could post up on him with a deep seal. Pierce is a big body but I've seen Amir get position on bigger players than him. Certainly has to try, last game he tried taking him off the dribble from the three point line and dribbled it off his foot. Not the best plan!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    I wager Salmons percentage has been fairly close.

2 things:
                    -Landry will not pretend; holding the ball for a hesitation dribble till the defense resets and then passing it off is not in his cards. The ball STICKS in salmons hands on offense
                    -Landry is a better defender, and rebounder
                    Agree with this. I hate Salmons with a passion and have no problem giving his time to LF (or at least part of it) - something like 10-15 mins off the bench. But, all this talk of LF starting and playing heavy minutes is crazy in a series where we could not get anything going offensively other than JV inside and Greasy going YOLO (although a good YOLO)

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                      Doesn't matter if Amir could post up on him with a deep seal. Pierce is a big body but I've seen Amir get position on bigger players than him. Certainly has to try, last game he tried taking him off the dribble from the three point line and dribbled it off his foot. Not the best plan!
                      Woahh

Just looked at Amirs listed weight, it says hes 210

That means pierce has 20 pounds on him

I don't know if this is true but if it is, Amirs got some mad inner strength to be able to gold guys like pekovic back let alone pierce

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                        Agree with this. I hate Salmons with a passion and have no problem giving his time to LF (or at least part of it) - something like 10-15 mins off the bench. But, all this talk of LF starting and playing heavy minutes is crazy in a series where we could not get anything going offensively other than JV inside and Greasy going YOLO (although a good YOLO)
                        Well Im not one to think Fields should get extended minutes. Just more than Salmons.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Woahh

Just looked at Amirs listed weight, it says hes 210

That means pierce has 20 pounds on him

I don't know if this is true but if it is, Amirs got some mad inner strength to be able to gold guys like pekovic back let alone pierce
                          I think that was his weight when he was first drafted. He's definitely gained more over the years.
                          OG is our king

Comment

Amir is probably around 230lbs now
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              Amir is probably around 230lbs now
                              Pierce still has 5 pounds on him, but that's probably just old man weight.

You know because pierce is old af

Comment

Amir is a lean mean machine. Pierce is not exactly Adonis im sure we've all seen how ripped Amir is in pictures. Obviously he's faster but Amir is way stronger
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X