Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Nets Bad Karma & My Salmons Disdain!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    A 38-year old Vince Carter would be a noticeable upgrade over Salmons. Just saying....
    A 90 year old VC is a massive upgrade over salmons
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote feet85 wrote: View Post
    A 90 year old VC is a massive upgrade over salmons
    Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    Again, I think you're missing my point. Your description of poise is great, albeit it is an opinion. Which is basically my argument with Casey's choice of riding Salmons. It's his opinion that Salmons has these innate abilities that you might call poise. These abilities can't be proven and even if they could, there is no proof of their positive effect on performance. They are assumptions that fans make to understand outcomes. For every example of a veteran being poised in a clutch moment, I can counter with one of a rookie rushing and making an out of control shot based on skill alone. Pressure situations are the same thing, something that's been created. I'm not saying it isn't there, just that it shouldn't warrant a veteran presence of a more skilled option is all.
    Ok. It's obvious that there is no way to isolate the effect of experience on the outcome of a game. There still isn't a stat that can isolate the effect of a single player on a game.

But anyone who's ever played sports knows that being there and having done that, helps a player get set in the mental state which allows him to perform at the top of his ability. Obviously though some inexperienced players can sill focus in the heat of the playoffs. Like the way an open jump shot is easier, but some players still make contested ones.

There's a big difference between underlying causes and the outcomes that they produce.

You're saying that the impact of skill is more quantifiable than experience. This isn't true. All you've done is describe results, and explained them as being the result of skill.

On top of that, most of your arguments are anecdotal.

You may have a point that it's overrated, but there's no way experience isn't a factor. You're the one claiming that experience has zero value, so the burden of proof should be on you.
    Last edited by stooley; Mon Apr 21st, 2014 at 09:46 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    Again, I think you're missing my point. Your description of poise is great, albeit it is an opinion. Which is basically my argument with Casey's choice of riding Salmons.
    I agree with you, I wasn't really weighing into the Salmons debate, just describing the "it" that Lillard has that go beyond his pure basketball skills.
    It's an opinion yeh, but one that can easily be made from watching a number of Lillard games.
    If Ross didn't get in foul trouble, then I doubt Salmons would get as many minutes as he did anyway. He wasn't in the game in the last quarter at all so Casey wasn't riding Salmons when it mattered most. You can make a different argument that Ross should've been in there over Vasquez, although Vasquez was playing well offensively.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information