Paul Millsap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Millsap

Wasn't too sure where to post this thread, but watching the first game and during the regular season, it seems that our 4 spot is a kind of enigma; it can sometimes look like the best part of our team, with Amir and Patterson, but their weaknesses are exposed a lot of times, which is a non-existant back-to-the-basket play from either. I read last summer about a couple of articles talking about how the Raptors could target Millsap, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Millsap's a tough, tough, player, even an All-Star this year. He's a bit undersized, but he would have been perfect this series guarding Pierce, and also taking advantage of him on offense. I would personally like to keep Amir as a first big-man off the bench, so Patterson would likely be gone. I love him, but him and Millsap's game are pretty similar, but Paul's game is obviously better and more defined. Any thoughts on this? Should Masai push for some sort of trade for him in the summer, or even wait until next year when he's a FA?

The price for Millsap would be high. And likely create new holes to be filled. I haven't been a big fan of this idea for awhile, mainly because I think the cost in pieces will result in pretty much a lateral move in the end, just with a team that plays a bit differently.

And the price will be as high as ever, as Millsap is the only all-star on a better contract, and also expiring after next season, than DeMar (discounting rookie-scale deals of course).

Comment

If we could score Milsap for Amir/2 2nd Rounders/Pieces, or something along the lines, I'd be all over it (Sorry Amir).

Comment

What would we trade for him? And why bother trading him in the summer just to have him for a single year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
          If we could score Milsap for Amir/2 2nd Rounders/Pieces, or something along the lines, I'd be all over it (Sorry Amir).
          That's just not happening. Atlanta would be crazy to give him up for anything other than a couple of prime assets. If Amir is outgoing, likely the pieces are something like Ross + a 1st rounder. I mean, why would Atlanta even shop him in the first place? They'd need a godfather offer, which would totally screw us.

Comment

My best guess is that if Millsap becomes available for anything resembling a sensible offer, it would be after next season has already started....

-Atlanta starts the year badly
            -By January they look to be all but out of the playoff picture
            -They want to save money and gain some young pieces *EDIT: rather they want to keep at least the sameish amount of money expiring while gaining future-oriented pieces

Then maybe you can trade something like Hayes (or even possibly Fields' expiring deal) + our 2014 draftee (whoever that ends up being) and possibly another 1st rounder or a couple of second rounders.....
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Apr 21, 2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

If the price is going to be high, then why not go higher an try and pry Kevin Love away from the Wolves. Not like that team is going to make any noise anytime soon. Just a matter of time before he starts getting antsy if he isn't already.

Comment

Guyssss this is the playoffs now, no more talking about trading damnnnnnnn.

Besides why are u praising a guy we could potentially face in the east final. Granted Atlanta can beat the wiz in the second round lmao
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Millsap or Love, wouldn't it just be better to go after these guys in Free Agency? Both would command a high price, and both would only be here for a single season before the option to bolt. Trading for these guys would be a mistake IMO.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    Millsap or Love, wouldn't it just be better to go after these guys in Free Agency? Both would command a high price, and both would only be here for a single season before the option to bolt. Trading for these guys would be a mistake IMO.
                    I agree! Why not wait until they hit free agency? It's never a good idea for teams to give up good young players and draft picks for someone who can bolt after the season.

What we should do is try to get Deng (6'9") as he'll be a free agent this summer and we'll be able to match him up with Pierce/James or even play small ball PF. He seems like the player to go after and his year wasn't great, so the asking price will be lower than Millsap. He's also only 29 so he has a few more years left in him. I doubt he would want to stay in Cleveland.....obviously if they throw BIG $$$ at him, then he might. If i were him i'd run from Cleveland and never look back!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      Trading for Love can't be called a mistake 'cause it's almost impossible. Millsapp would be possible and would not be a mistake. Whoever he's traded for would not be missed as far as the long term success of the team is concerned. If Millsapp agrees to an extension, Amir or Fields plus a protected 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder would be a fair price IMO. If he doesn't agree to an extension, I don't think Raps. can offer anything that would entice Atlanta.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                        Trading for Love can't be called a mistake 'cause it's almost impossible. Millsapp would be possible and would not be a mistake. Whoever he's traded for would not be missed as far as the long term success of the team is concerned. If Millsapp agrees to an extension, Amir or Fields plus a protected 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder would be a fair price IMO. If he doesn't agree to an extension, I don't think Raps. can offer anything that would entice Atlanta.
                        Millsap can't sign an extension.

I think Millsap is a viable 2015 free agency target. Trade, not so much. Atlanta has a good shot to re-sign him, so they have no reason to trade him at a big discount.

As for Love, he's obviously going to be a trade target for a lot of teams, probably including the Raptors. There's little that I wouldn't offer in a trade.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                          Millsap can't sign an extension.

I think Millsap is a viable 2015 free agency target. Trade, not so much. Atlanta has a good shot to re-sign him, so they have no reason to trade him at a big discount.

As for Love, he's obviously going to be a trade target for a lot of teams, probably including the Raptors. There's little that I wouldn't offer in a trade.
                          "Millsapp can't sign an extension". Are you saying that because he has an option?

I feel Love can't be acquired because it's pretty much a foregone conclusion he'll leave at the end of the year. Giving up a few good draft picks (which is what he'll cost) is not risk Raptors would take.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                            "Millsapp can't sign an extension". Are you saying that because he has an option?

I feel Love can't be acquired because it's pretty much a foregone conclusion he'll leave at the end of the year. Giving up a few good draft picks (which is what he'll cost) is not risk Raptors would take.
                            Contracts can't be extended for 3 years after signing them, and Millsap's contract is only 2 years in total, so extension won't be possible.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              Contracts can't be extended for 3 years after signing them, and Millsap's contract is only 2 years in total, so extension won't be possible.

Oh I see. Thanks.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X