Paul Millsap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Trading for Love can't be called a mistake 'cause it's almost impossible. Millsapp would be possible and would not be a mistake. Whoever he's traded for would not be missed as far as the long term success of the team is concerned. If Millsapp agrees to an extension, Amir or Fields plus a protected 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder would be a fair price IMO. If he doesn't agree to an extension, I don't think Raps. can offer anything that would entice Atlanta.
    If you think you can get Millsap for one of Amir or Fields (seriously?) and a protected 1st than I don't know what to say to you. No that wouldn't be a mistake unless you're the GM of ATL. That's not happening. If the Raps were to trade for Millsap it would take Derozan IMO. And that would be a mistake given Millsap will have only a single year commited to the club.

As for Love, it would take even more to get him out of Minny than Millsap out of ATL. Whether it's actually possible is irrelevant to the idea that a trade would be a mistake. Again, he has the option to leave after a season, so why give up many assets for a season rental? Either of these guys would be bad to trade for simply because of their contract situations and impending free agency.

Comment

I really don't see the reason to sacrifice much for ANY big name unless they're a top-10 or maybe 15ish type player. This team is too young and still relatively undefined to go adding a central piece without fully knowing what you have in Ross, Val, and to a degree even DeRozan still. It's great to be competing in the playoffs now, but they're still not in the same stratosphere as championship contenders and a guy like Millsap isn't going to fix that. Better to be patient, wait a couple of seasons and then cash in on the team's new found respectability when it can land you a true difference maker. Players may seem set in their situations right now, but things change quickly season to season.

Comment

Is Paul Millsap more valuable than Amir Johnson? There is very little in the way of advanced analytics available to us, but what I've seen says no. Amir is also younger, cheaper next year and extendable.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Is Paul Millsap more valuable than Amir Johnson? There is very little in the way of advanced analytics available to us, but what I've seen says no. Amir is also younger, cheaper next year and extendable.
          I was high on Millsap this past offseason, but I want Toronto to pursue a more traditional PF, who can consistently post-up and work guys over down low. If Toronto had such a player to pair with Valanciunas, this series with Brooklyn would be a walk in the park, since PP can't guard that type of PF of the defensive end. This series has really highlighted the weakness of Toronto's PF position. Amir and Patterson are both excellent backup PFs / 3rd bigs, but they aren't difference makers.

Comment

Prefer Thad Young to Milsap. Too small for 4 too slow for 3. Good player but has flaws and expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bit harsh to say they aren't difference makers, I'd say their combined 28 points and 18 rebounds was a huge difference maker in a playoff win. As a tandem they're good enough that you don't need to rush out and make some panic move for someone like Monroe. But obviously can be upgraded if the right player becomes available.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I was high on Millsap this past offseason, but I want Toronto to pursue a more traditional PF, who can consistently post-up and work guys over down low. If Toronto had such a player to pair with Valanciunas, this series with Brooklyn would be a walk in the park, since PP can't guard that type of PF of the defensive end. This series has really highlighted the weakness of Toronto's PF position. Amir and Patterson are both excellent backup PFs / 3rd bigs, but they aren't difference makers.
                Do you think Millsap would be better at guarding Pierce than either Amir or Patterson? I see him as being a more mobile defender but I'm not sure. I have been thinking since the first game that Millsap would be ideal for the Raps in this series. He can play inside-out, can stretch the floor and can probably handle Pierce on the perimeter better than our present options. Of course, I wouldn't justify acquiring Millsap for these reasons, as it's just one team and Pierce is soon to retire I'm sure, but he is a pretty versatile player. I would be concerned about missing what Amir does defensively for this team, but I think as JV matures defensively, the Millsap type player may be a good option for the Raps.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  If you think you can get Millsap for one of Amir or Fields (seriously?) and a protected 1st than I don't know what to say to you. No that wouldn't be a mistake unless you're the GM of ATL. That's not happening. If the Raps were to trade for Millsap it would take Derozan IMO. And that would be a mistake given Millsap will have only a single year commited to the club.

As for Love, it would take even more to get him out of Minny than Millsap out of ATL. Whether it's actually possible is irrelevant to the idea that a trade would be a mistake. Again, he has the option to leave after a season, so why give up many assets for a season rental? Either of these guys would be bad to trade for simply because of their contract situations and impending free agency.
                  By trading for Love, they would also be able to offer him 30+ mil more than other teams. Obviously it would be cool to get him for free on a cheaper contract but that seems less realistic.

It's a complicated issue. A team can't just avoid risks altogether, they have to take calculated risks. There are no bulletproof easy ways to obtain a superstar. Is trading for Love a reasonable enough gamble? That's the big question and why Ujiri is paid the big bucks. How much does it cost to trade for Love? Will the Raptors keep enough to still build a good team around him? Is Love looking to play with another superstar, or would he be ok with being the centerpiece and the lone superstar on a Raptors type team? A lot of questions for Ujiri to study.

Comment

Don't understand the hype surrounding Love. Pau Gasol is better and cheaper.Even Amare on a better contract is better or comparable.There are better uses for the contract he is going to get.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      Don't understand the hype surrounding Love. Pau Gasol is better and cheaper.Even Amare on a better contract is better or comparable.There are better uses for the contract he is going to get.

I've been pretty critical of Love in the past, but these comparisons are ludicrous.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Love for 30 mil vs Gasol or Amare @ under 10.Love is going to be a bad contract

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Love for 30 mil vs Gasol or Amare @ under 10.Love is going to be a bad contract

Am are is the biggest injury risk in the league and Pau ain't a spring chicken. Either one may only have a year or two of productive basketball left. Even at a small price they could be huge wastes of money. Love has flaws, mostly on D, but is one of the best scoring/rebounding PCs in the game. You're probably gonna get more value out of him even at the max.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Love can't get 30 mil.

Comment

Love is going to be Boozer bad contract 2.0.Rather have Gasol or Amare on 1-2 year reasonable deal than mortgage the franchise on Love.I don't want Gasol or Amare but Love and his contract is going to hurt.Hope he goes to the Knicks

Comment

The only trades Masai makes is the kind where we're fucking the other team over, so we're not going to be able to trade for Millsap. Atlanta turned down Asik for Millsap because they wanted draft picks too, and no way in hell Masai gives up anything of that value.

The good news is Millsap is a free agent after next season, and we'll have cap space after next season. I think Millsap will make a fine target in free agency after next year. I've watched a lot of him in Atlanta and Millsap is a straight up baller. PP and Amir are nice, but not in Millsap's league. Millsap next to JV would really help JV out.

Whoever said he's expensive is nuts. Millsap is on one of the best value deals in the entire NBA. He also went to a small market team in Atlanta, so you know he'd be willing to come to a much bigger market in Toronto. I lived in Atlanta and the fanbase is absolute dogshit (opposing teams generally have larger cheering sections), so Toronto would be a much more fun place to play.

TL/DR version: Millsap should be a target, but not until he hits free agency.

Comment

Working...
                                X