Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Masai Ujiri on Fan590 (Apr.21/14) & $25k fine from NBA

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    You are not serious, you think fans should pay MU's fine? This isn't donating to cancer research. I bet $1 means as to me as $25,000 does to MLSE. They just jacked up ticket prices, and do you even have a cable, phone or internet bill from Bell/Rogers? They are milking fans like dairy cows, and you think we should help pay their fines?
    I believe you (as others) have missed the point. I was addressing solidarity with, team spirit and other sports cliches while you are focused on opposition to a semi serious tongue-in-cheek suggestion....because MLSE is "milking" you? It must then pain you much to support the Raptors by watching their games on tv (watching the ads their games spew) and possibly buying paraphenalia etc. btw, the suggestion/contribution was voluntary as every other act we as fans perform in pursuit of following this team.

MU clearly had a brain fart and should have expressed himself differently. Even the fine was clearly a change of mind. Perceived or not he was referring to the Nets positioning themselves to play the Raptors over the Bulls. That has nothing to do with the price of hot dogs in the ACC.

Post Thanks / Like

Brain fart? It was a great decision. The fine doesn't change that.

3. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    RR should start a 1$ collection drive for MU at the ACC before game 2. Bet they'd come close to the 25G. That should get tongues wagging in Brooklyn....in effect a big FU from the fans here.
    Actually thought Masai should just keep quiet and let players play the games.

He's trying to take the pressure off the team but it has now grown out of proportion and raps are looking like rank amateurs with all the trash "talk".

Let your teams play speak. That's all that matters.

5. Like Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Actually thought Masai should just keep quiet and let players play the games.

He's trying to take the pressure off the team but it has now grown out of proportion and raps are looking like rank amateurs with all the trash "talk".

Let your teams play speak. That's all that matters.
    That's on Casey and the players. Win a frickin' basketball game, and give the media something important to talk about.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

7. Like c_bcm liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    Apparently ESPN showed another angle and he actually did get hit. Ichavent seen it myself but thats what all the brooklyn fans were saying.
    He barely got nicked (even on those replays). Yes, ok it was a foul, yes he definitely sold it. Something the good guys should learn to do too. That fourth q was brutal from a fouls called perspective.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    He barely got nicked (even on those replays). Yes, ok it was a foul, yes he definitely sold it. Something the good guys should learn to do too. That fourth q was brutal from a fouls called perspective.
    Yeah I know he did the swinging the head back thing that everyone does. Not worth a fine for flopping in my opinion, maybe a warning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Brain fart? It was a great decision. The fine doesn't change that.
    I am generally not in favour of premeditated acts designed to manipulate an outcome. It tends to backfire. If he wanted to fire up the team or take the pressure off what do you think the pressure is on them tonight?. Fuck is still a very visceral word to be used so publicly and by an individual in his position. He could have used a different term....

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am generally not in favour of premeditated acts designed to manipulate an outcome. It tends to backfire. If he wanted to fire up the team or take the pressure off what do you think the pressure is on them tonight?. Fuck is still a very visceral word to be used so publicly and by an individual in his position. He could have used a different term....

Yeah, he should have said "gosh darn that silly Brooklyn team" the message would be the exact same.

I dont think u get it.

12. Like Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fine with Masai's Fine

So the whole roll out of this was weird. It was reported by both ESPN and SI that he would only receive a warning for his F Brooklyn comments. Then later it was announced he gets $25k fine from the NBA.

So here's my theory, the NBA was going to simply warn him, which makes sense since there isn't really a history of the NBA fining people for comments made outside of post-game, pre-game, in-game comments unless it's about the referees. Since Masai has no record of incident, there was enough logic to carry "just a warning". Then the NBA office started to count the Executive of the Year ballots, and realized that Masai is going to win, so they changed their minds.

That's my theory until proven otherwise.
    Last edited by Axel; Tue Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Visceral is exactly what he was going for and what he was hoping to inspire. Not sure if that counts as manipulating an outcome, more of helping along an outcome.

But anyway, it's all been blown out of proportion. I can't see how people think it will backfire. If it gets the fans more pumped it's a good thing. If it gets the players more pumped (less likely) then it's a good thing. If the Raptors lose does it look (to some people) a tiny bit silly? Maybe, but who fucking cares? If they lose to Brooklyn what matters is they lost, not what was said before the first game. Like MU said, it's an attitude we/they have to have. Some people are already basically apologizing for it. What exactly are you afraid of?

15. Like CalgaryRapsFan, OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    25,000 loonies

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    100,000 quarters
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

- Walter White

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

How many coffee cans for 100,000 quarters

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    100,000 quarters
    Nah, we should pay with 99,999 quarters. With a note saying 'Your officials took the last quarter off, so we're doing the same.'
    tank-agnostic

19. Like c_bcm, lilmamba_, Yoshi liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe you (as others) have missed the point. I was addressing solidarity with, team spirit and other sports cliches while you are focused on opposition to a semi serious tongue-in-cheek suggestion....because MLSE is "milking" you? It must then pain you much to support the Raptors by watching their games on tv (watching the ads their games spew) and possibly buying paraphenalia etc. btw, the suggestion/contribution was voluntary as every other act we as fans perform in pursuit of following this team.

MU clearly had a brain fart and should have expressed himself differently. Even the fine was clearly a change of mind. Perceived or not he was referring to the Nets positioning themselves to play the Raptors over the Bulls. That has nothing to do with the price of hot dogs in the ACC.
    Totally agree. Was going to start a thread about this. Sure, neither Masai or MLSE needs the money but I think it would be an amazing fan support thing to crowdsource the 25K. He speaks for us, we have his back. Don't give if you're offended. How do we get this done?
    It's not just about Lowry...It's about the 3 spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Visceral is exactly what he was going for and what he was hoping to inspire. Not sure if that counts as manipulating an outcome, more of helping along an outcome.

But anyway, it's all been blown out of proportion. I can't see how people think it will backfire. If it gets the fans more pumped it's a good thing. If it gets the players more pumped (less likely) then it's a good thing. If the Raptors lose does it look (to some people) a tiny bit silly? Maybe, but who fucking cares? If they lose to Brooklyn what matters is they lost, not what was said before the first game. Like MU said, it's an attitude we/they have to have. Some people are already basically apologizing for it. What exactly are you afraid of?

Me? I want the team to beat the pants off the Nets. This has been a distraction so far. I believe the distraction puts unnecessary pressure on at least some of the players seeing as how the Nets have some of the champ smack talkers on their team who tend to back up their trash. "Who cares?"...why hasnt MU stopped profusely apologizing since that very bold "pre-meditated" statement? That is embarassing... he isn't shrugging it off is he?

You are right on the blowing out of proportion. The sentiment was great but I stand by the he made a wrong choice of word.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Nah, we should pay with 99,999 quarters. With a note saying 'Your officials took the last quarter off, so we're doing the same.'
    Omg that is gold
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    Apparently ESPN showed another angle and he actually did get hit. Ichavent seen it myself but thats what all the brooklyn fans were saying.
    D Will ran face first in to an elbow from the angle I saw. His own fault, the player who he ran in to wasn't even facing the play.

Bad call.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how many Jay Z fans we have here, but it was too fitting to not do. Doesn't hurt that they're pretty much doppelgangers.

Him and Kyle Lowry can be shopped into a few album covers, but this was more topical.

Fuck jay z and his Brooklyn nets

Until the series's is over, no mentions about jay z unless they are insults. Drake ftw
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is whack.....

FUCK BROOKLYN

About time a toronto player/ manager/owner stood the fuck up for this city and for a team here.

Canadians and our ridiculous holier than thou need to always be polite kinda makes me wanna vomit. In two words.....two syllables, Masai basically said about 4 paragraphs about how this city and franchise choose to move forward. Unapologetic, and without the boring, canadian ass kissing you see so much.

Fuck Brooklyn indeed...... and guess what, it worked.

26. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    D Will ran face first in to an elbow from the angle I saw. His own fault, the player who he ran in to wasn't even facing the play.

Bad call.
    Are you actually taking that side? 95 % of refs see someone get hit with an elbow they are gonna blow that whistle. Doesn't matter if the contact was incidental. It's still an elbow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information