Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 96

Thread: Masai Ujiri on Fan590 (Apr.21/14) & $25k fine from NBA

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    You are not serious, you think fans should pay MU's fine? This isn't donating to cancer research. I bet $1 means as to me as $25,000 does to MLSE. They just jacked up ticket prices, and do you even have a cable, phone or internet bill from Bell/Rogers? They are milking fans like dairy cows, and you think we should help pay their fines?
    I believe you (as others) have missed the point. I was addressing solidarity with, team spirit and other sports cliches while you are focused on opposition to a semi serious tongue-in-cheek suggestion....because MLSE is "milking" you? It must then pain you much to support the Raptors by watching their games on tv (watching the ads their games spew) and possibly buying paraphenalia etc. btw, the suggestion/contribution was voluntary as every other act we as fans perform in pursuit of following this team.

    MU clearly had a brain fart and should have expressed himself differently. Even the fine was clearly a change of mind. Perceived or not he was referring to the Nets positioning themselves to play the Raptors over the Bulls. That has nothing to do with the price of hot dogs in the ACC.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Brain fart? It was a great decision. The fine doesn't change that.

  3. Like Letter N liked this post
  4. #23
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    RR should start a 1$ collection drive for MU at the ACC before game 2. Bet they'd come close to the 25G. That should get tongues wagging in Brooklyn....in effect a big FU from the fans here.
    Actually thought Masai should just keep quiet and let players play the games.

    He's trying to take the pressure off the team but it has now grown out of proportion and raps are looking like rank amateurs with all the trash "talk".

    Let your teams play speak. That's all that matters.

  5. Like Bendit liked this post
  6. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Actually thought Masai should just keep quiet and let players play the games.

    He's trying to take the pressure off the team but it has now grown out of proportion and raps are looking like rank amateurs with all the trash "talk".

    Let your teams play speak. That's all that matters.
    That's on Casey and the players. Win a frickin' basketball game, and give the media something important to talk about.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  7. Like c_bcm liked this post
  8. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    Apparently ESPN showed another angle and he actually did get hit. Ichavent seen it myself but thats what all the brooklyn fans were saying.
    He barely got nicked (even on those replays). Yes, ok it was a foul, yes he definitely sold it. Something the good guys should learn to do too. That fourth q was brutal from a fouls called perspective.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

  9. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Murray Harbour Prince Edward Island
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    He barely got nicked (even on those replays). Yes, ok it was a foul, yes he definitely sold it. Something the good guys should learn to do too. That fourth q was brutal from a fouls called perspective.
    Yeah I know he did the swinging the head back thing that everyone does. Not worth a fine for flopping in my opinion, maybe a warning.

  10. #27
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Brain fart? It was a great decision. The fine doesn't change that.
    I am generally not in favour of premeditated acts designed to manipulate an outcome. It tends to backfire. If he wanted to fire up the team or take the pressure off what do you think the pressure is on them tonight?. Fuck is still a very visceral word to be used so publicly and by an individual in his position. He could have used a different term....




  11. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    712
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I am generally not in favour of premeditated acts designed to manipulate an outcome. It tends to backfire. If he wanted to fire up the team or take the pressure off what do you think the pressure is on them tonight?. Fuck is still a very visceral word to be used so publicly and by an individual in his position. He could have used a different term....



    Yeah, he should have said "gosh darn that silly Brooklyn team" the message would be the exact same.

    I dont think u get it.

  12. Like Bendit liked this post
  13. #29
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Fine with Masai's Fine

    So the whole roll out of this was weird. It was reported by both ESPN and SI that he would only receive a warning for his F Brooklyn comments. Then later it was announced he gets $25k fine from the NBA.

    So here's my theory, the NBA was going to simply warn him, which makes sense since there isn't really a history of the NBA fining people for comments made outside of post-game, pre-game, in-game comments unless it's about the referees. Since Masai has no record of incident, there was enough logic to carry "just a warning". Then the NBA office started to count the Executive of the Year ballots, and realized that Masai is going to win, so they changed their minds.

    That's my theory until proven otherwise.
    Last edited by Axel; Tue Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:47 PM.

  14. #30
    Raptors Republic Starter Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I am generally not in favour of premeditated acts designed to manipulate an outcome. It tends to backfire. If he wanted to fire up the team or take the pressure off what do you think the pressure is on them tonight?. Fuck is still a very visceral word to be used so publicly and by an individual in his position. He could have used a different term....



    Visceral is exactly what he was going for and what he was hoping to inspire. Not sure if that counts as manipulating an outcome, more of helping along an outcome.

    But anyway, it's all been blown out of proportion. I can't see how people think it will backfire. If it gets the fans more pumped it's a good thing. If it gets the players more pumped (less likely) then it's a good thing. If the Raptors lose does it look (to some people) a tiny bit silly? Maybe, but who fucking cares? If they lose to Brooklyn what matters is they lost, not what was said before the first game. Like MU said, it's an attitude we/they have to have. Some people are already basically apologizing for it. What exactly are you afraid of?

  15. Like CalgaryRapsFan, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  16. #31
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    25,000 loonies

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    100,000 quarters
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  17. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How many coffee cans for 100,000 quarters

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

  18. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    100,000 quarters
    Nah, we should pay with 99,999 quarters. With a note saying 'Your officials took the last quarter off, so we're doing the same.'
    tank-agnostic

  19. Like c_bcm, lilmamba_, Yoshi liked this post
  20. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I believe you (as others) have missed the point. I was addressing solidarity with, team spirit and other sports cliches while you are focused on opposition to a semi serious tongue-in-cheek suggestion....because MLSE is "milking" you? It must then pain you much to support the Raptors by watching their games on tv (watching the ads their games spew) and possibly buying paraphenalia etc. btw, the suggestion/contribution was voluntary as every other act we as fans perform in pursuit of following this team.

    MU clearly had a brain fart and should have expressed himself differently. Even the fine was clearly a change of mind. Perceived or not he was referring to the Nets positioning themselves to play the Raptors over the Bulls. That has nothing to do with the price of hot dogs in the ACC.
    Totally agree. Was going to start a thread about this. Sure, neither Masai or MLSE needs the money but I think it would be an amazing fan support thing to crowdsource the 25K. He speaks for us, we have his back. Don't give if you're offended. How do we get this done?
    It's not just about Lowry...It's about the 3 spot.

  21. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Visceral is exactly what he was going for and what he was hoping to inspire. Not sure if that counts as manipulating an outcome, more of helping along an outcome.

    But anyway, it's all been blown out of proportion. I can't see how people think it will backfire. If it gets the fans more pumped it's a good thing. If it gets the players more pumped (less likely) then it's a good thing. If the Raptors lose does it look (to some people) a tiny bit silly? Maybe, but who fucking cares? If they lose to Brooklyn what matters is they lost, not what was said before the first game. Like MU said, it's an attitude we/they have to have. Some people are already basically apologizing for it. What exactly are you afraid of?

    Me? I want the team to beat the pants off the Nets. This has been a distraction so far. I believe the distraction puts unnecessary pressure on at least some of the players seeing as how the Nets have some of the champ smack talkers on their team who tend to back up their trash. "Who cares?"...why hasnt MU stopped profusely apologizing since that very bold "pre-meditated" statement? That is embarassing... he isn't shrugging it off is he?

    You are right on the blowing out of proportion. The sentiment was great but I stand by the he made a wrong choice of word.

  22. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Nah, we should pay with 99,999 quarters. With a note saying 'Your officials took the last quarter off, so we're doing the same.'
    Omg that is gold
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  23. #37
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    Apparently ESPN showed another angle and he actually did get hit. Ichavent seen it myself but thats what all the brooklyn fans were saying.
    D Will ran face first in to an elbow from the angle I saw. His own fault, the player who he ran in to wasn't even facing the play.

    Bad call.

  24. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Kitchener "Sketchener"
    Posts
    1,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Not sure how many Jay Z fans we have here, but it was too fitting to not do. Doesn't hurt that they're pretty much doppelgangers.

    Him and Kyle Lowry can be shopped into a few album covers, but this was more topical.



    Fuck jay z and his Brooklyn nets

    Until the series's is over, no mentions about jay z unless they are insults. Drake ftw
    In Swag we Trust

    -Nick Young

  25. #39
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,718
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This thread is whack.....

    FUCK BROOKLYN


    About time a toronto player/ manager/owner stood the fuck up for this city and for a team here.

    Canadians and our ridiculous holier than thou need to always be polite kinda makes me wanna vomit. In two words.....two syllables, Masai basically said about 4 paragraphs about how this city and franchise choose to move forward. Unapologetic, and without the boring, canadian ass kissing you see so much.



    Fuck Brooklyn indeed...... and guess what, it worked.

  26. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  27. #40
    Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Murray Harbour Prince Edward Island
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    D Will ran face first in to an elbow from the angle I saw. His own fault, the player who he ran in to wasn't even facing the play.

    Bad call.
    Are you actually taking that side? 95 % of refs see someone get hit with an elbow they are gonna blow that whistle. Doesn't matter if the contact was incidental. It's still an elbow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •