Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casey 5th in Coach of the Year voting - Congrats to Pop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey 5th in Coach of the Year voting - Congrats to Pop!

NBA LINK: http://www.nba.com/2014/news/04/22/g...ase/index.html

TSN LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=450083

ESPN LINK: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...nba-coach-year

CNN-SI LINK: http://nba.si.com/2014/04/22/gregg-p...he-year-award/
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 22, 2014, 12:27 PM.

Nice to see DC get some consideration (5 1st place votes, 70 points overall), but this was a well-deserved 2-man race between Popovich and Hornacek.

Had Phoenix made the playoffs, I think Hornacek would've won in a landslide.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 22, 2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah....

Pop
      Hornacek
      Thibodeau
      Clifford
      Casey
      Stotts..
      etc...

I'm actually surprised by how easily Pop seemed to win it. Think Hornacek, Thibs, Clifford, Casey and even Stotts all did more relative to expectations/previous year's success. Pop could win it every year.

Comment

Yes, Coach Popovich really deserves it! Although I thought Thibodeau did an incredible job.

Let's hope Casey lives up to the accolades tonight.

Comment

Popovich named as the NBA Coach of the Year is not a big surprise considering the Spurs won NBA leading 62 games, including Franchise record for road wins, franchise record for consecutive wins (5th longest in NBA history), and had no player average 30 mins per game while using 30 different starting lineups (2nd most this year).

Hornacek did a really good job, but what Pop accomplished is very impressive.

Coach Casey finished 5th. Here's Casey's voting breakdown:

5 First place votes (all US based voters):
          Candace Buckner - Indianapolis Star
          Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
          JA Adande - ESPN
          Ron Tillery - Memphis Commercial Appeal
          Vincent Goodwill - Detroit Free Press

9 Second place votes:
          Brendan Brown - MSG Network
          Brian Sieman - KFWB News ?
          Chris Dempsey - Denver Post
          David Mayo - Mlive Media Group ?
          Gary Washburn - Boston Globe
          Grant Napear - CSN-CA
          Leo Rautins - Sportsnet/TSN
          Paul Jones - Raptors Radio
          Stacey King - Comcast Sportsnet

Notable Third place votes of the 18 he received:
          Bill Wennington - ESPN
          Ernie Johnson - TNT
          Doug Smith - Toronto Star

Some voters of note and their votes:
          Zach Lowe - 1st - Popovich, 2nd - Thibodeau, 3rd - Hornacek
          Mike Wilbon - 1st - Hornacek, 2nd - Thibodeau, 3rd - Clifford
          Marv Albert - 1st - Popovich, 2nd - Hornacek, 3rd - Clifford
          Dell Curry - 1st - Popovich, 2nd - Clifford, 3rd - Thibodeau
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm sure Swirsky would've voted for Bargnani if he could....

Comment

Can't take anything away form Pop. As has been mentioned, he could win it almost any year.

Comment

Matt Devlin said he gets votes. Did he not have Casey in his top 3rd?
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  No record of him voting.

http://www.nba.com/media/042214-2013...Year-Votes.pdf
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I just love the way San Antonio plays the game. Everyone gets involved and the team just wins. Pops deserves it.

Comment

A piece of trivia I came across re Pop's coaching this year....no Spur played more than 30 mins. in any game this season.

They won 60+ games! ..an incredible amount of coaching discipline and tactics.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        A piece of trivia I came across re Pop's coaching this year....no Spur played more than 30 mins. in any game this season.

They won 60+ games! ..an incredible amount of coaching discipline and tactics.
                        Umm...I thought it was no Spur averaged more than 30 mpg this season...??

Definitely some played more than 30 mins in games. All I had to do was go straight to the first player I thought was likely to do so, Tony Parker, and check his game logs. Must be average.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Definitely some played more than 30 mins in games. All I had to do was go straight to the first player I thought was likely to do so, Tony Parker, and check his game logs. Must be average.
                          You are correct. No one on the team averaged over 30 minutes played per game this season. Lots of them played certain games over 30 minutes.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            I think Devlin said he had Defensive and MVP and Leo had Coach and MVP. I might be wrong, but they were discussing it on air during one of the final games (Knicks maybe) and I know they had different categories a bit.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

I was going by this....

It’s not like one player carried the Spurs this year — they had NO player average over 20 points and nobody played more than 30 minutes per game.
                              Seems like I mis-comprehended. Apologies.

http://hoopshabit.com/2014/04/22/san...gets-deserves/

Comment

Working...
                              X