Smartest Spenders in Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smartest Spenders in Sports

Found this neat index that rank teams on how much they spent on player payroll for every win in the last 5 seasons for the 4 major sports (sorry, no curling).

"Our ranking of all 122 franchises in the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB rates teams based on how much they spent in player payroll for every win during the last five seasons. Each team is compared against the average price per win in its league to produce a score we call the efficiency index. The less a team spends compared with its peers, the lower its score. Playoff victories and championships get extra weight. Payroll data come from the best available published sources.*

Playoff wins count for 10 percent of a season (e.g., 16.2 wins in baseball); Wild Card wins get half credit.

Championships count for 50 percent of a season (81 wins in baseball)."

Link
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles...in-sports-2014
    ~~~

You can filter out the other leagues, so just in terms of the NBA, the Raps rank 25th; with an average payroll of 67.3M (league avg is 69.9M), and averaging 30.4 wins per season (league avg is 39.39). The lack of playoff wins and Championships obviously hurts, so after this season, we would hopefully have leap-frogged a few teams (especially since the Nets are directly ahead of us in the NBA ranks!! Fuck Brooklyn!!).

Not a lot of surprises, but one I thought would have been higher is the Spurs, who ranked 4th. But it makes sense when you look at the numbers, the Spurs haven't won a title in the last 5 years, and their average payroll has been above league average (76.6M). Miami takes the top spot thanks to 2 titles, and the 5 year average payroll (pre-LeBron & Bosh era included) of just 73.8M.

Top overall franchise in all of sports is the Blackhawks, with the Bruins being 2nd in the NHL and 3rd overall.

Top franchise in baseball is the Cardinals, with the Rays being 5th.

Top NFL teams are the Patriots (4th overall) and the Ravens (7th overall).
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Next two years should see a big improvement in the Raps results per dollar spent rating, particularly considering a few decent draft picks should be coming their way the next couple of years, and the current sophomores either improve or lead to better players through trade.

Comment

Jesus we're behind the fuckin Bills

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the average wins per team is 41 by necessity.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
          I'm pretty sure that the average wins per team is 41 by necessity.
          66 game season.

Edit: So average number of wins would be

41+41+33+41+41/5 = 39.4

For the last 5 years.

Drops to 39.39 because Boston and Indiana only played 81 games last year I suppose
          Last edited by imanshumpert; Sun Apr 27, 2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Not sure I agree with the analysis. A championship in hockey does not have the same economic value as a championship in football, baseball or basketball. It seems like they are weighted equally, so hockey obviously has the advantage because the salaries are lower.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Not sure I agree with the analysis. A championship in hockey does not have the same economic value as a championship in football, baseball or basketball. It seems like they are weighted equally, so hockey obviously has the advantage because the salaries are lower.
              Economic value of championships are irrelevant; it's designed to determine the value outcome vs the costs. The value outcome is the wins, and championships, within the sport when compared to others in the sport.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

http://grantland.com/features/nba-pl...-courtney-lee/

The revival of the just-a-guys.

Interesting, didn't know where else to put it, doesn't really deserve its own thread.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

of course not 1 of my 4 teams (Chiefs, Leafs, Raps, Blue Jays) are in the top half of this list. as expected.. ugh

Comment

CashGameND wrote: View Post
                    of course not 1 of my 4 teams (Chiefs, Leafs, Raps, Blue Jays) are in the top half of this list. as expected.. ugh
                    Not surprising based on your teams. Leafs are awful, always have been and spend more than they should for being that awful.

Chiefs aren't a successful NFL team. They are low end average at best.

Jays overspend for mediocrity year after year.

Raps have been bad but hopefully are on the upwards trend now.

Other than the Raps (and perhaps the Jays) you have bad taste in teams lol

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                      http://grantland.com/features/nba-pl...-courtney-lee/

The revival of the just-a-guys.

Interesting, didn't know where else to put it, doesn't really deserve its own thread.
                      Definitely belongs in the "Smart Spenders" thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X