Everything Tyler Hansbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Tyler Hansbrough

Since there may be no more than a few games left in the season, I thought it would be nice to look at Tyler Hansbrough's contributions to the Toronto Raptors this year.

Hansbrough is a polarizing figure in the league, for reasons that have always escaped me. But if there is one thing he has brought to this team, it is an attitude of toughness, bringing it every night and going hard until the last horn sounds (or is shouted, as in one recent game). Toronto can no longer be called soft and I think a lot of that is due to Tyler.

He has also done everything the coaches asked him to do, or tried to. It seems Hansbrough is actually getting some coaching this year, as opposed to his role in Indiana, and has responded since March by passing the ball more off those offensive rebounds and registering more assists. The coaches apparently never asked him to score, which he certainly did in Indiana on the occasions when he started. All year long, he has set screens to get other guys open. At the start of the season, we had to watch Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan hoisting up endless jump shots. But when Tyler does shoot, he takes high percentage shots close to the rim. Neither Lowry nor Vasquez has looked to get Hansbrough involved in the offence, but if it has been frustrating for him, he keeps it to himself. He could have been used far more on the Raptors' (almost) non-existent fast break.

As a result, he actually shoots a higher percentage than DeRozan, fourth on the team. He is fifth in rebounds despite playing half the minutes of the starters, and second in rebounds per 36 minutes. He is also fifth in TS% due to his going to the line so often, and third in win share per 48 minutes. There is no one even close to him in offensive rebound %.

I have no idea if he will be with the team next year, but he has been a key contributor to the Raptors' success in 2013-14, and deserves the fans' appreciation.

Tyler

"He has also done everything the coaches asked him to do, or tried to."

One side order to your banquet burger deluxe:

T Hans is the guy who has helped T Ross so much to relax on court and maintain his sense of perspective. Ross himself nominated Tyler for Dressing Room wit of the year for his ability through word and deed to keep the team relaxed. Glue Guy, team mate, Gladiator.

Rock on Tyler!!!

Comment

He played well tonight. Too bad we didn't get to see him.

Comment

I like PsychoT and if he wants to stay great. But I think he signed thinking he would be getting minutes but with PPat he would probably benefit being traded and playing somewhere else.If we can't resign PPat then Hands is definitely coming back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
          I like PsychoT and if he wants to stay great. But I think he signed thinking he would be getting minutes but with PPat he would probably benefit being traded and playing somewhere else.If we can't resign PPat then Hands is definitely coming back.

Wasn't TH signed for 2-Years? Pretty sure we have him for next season?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
            Wasn't TH signed for 2-Years? Pretty sure we have him for next season?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/toronto.htm
            Team option with $1M guaranteed, I believe.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Team option with $1M guaranteed, I believe.
              Yep. Hopefully trade bait as salary ballast at the draft (along with Salmons, allows a team to absorb 10M and only have to pay 2M).
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                Yep. Hopefully trade bait as salary ballast at the draft (along with Salmons, allows a team to absorb 10M and only have to pay 2M).
                This. I hope Masai can leverage some of these guys to move into the lottery or even the top 10

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                  This. I hope Masai can leverage some of these guys to move into the lottery or even the top 10
                  Could go either way - absorb bad salary to move up to a top 10 pick, or use those salary ballasts to be able to grab an impact player on a larger salary now. Lots of flexibility in those deals, which is great.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

hansborugh can still be used in these playoffs even with Patman if Casey just uses him as JV back-up instead of giving those minutes to Hayes...Psycho T is much more capable in the middle against a tough & dirty C like KG and a really good young C like Plumlee. JV avgs about 30min/gm so Hansborugh should be in for good, tough solid 18min.

picking up his option next season would be dependant on if Patterson re signs & if we can get a true backup C for Jonas.

Comment

I guess Salmons and TH are going to be used as trade-bait, for teams trying to get under the cap.

Essentially teams interested in Salmons and TH get 6M and 2M of Capspace respectively, right? Since they're guaranteed for like 1M only each or something like that?

Comment

Hands is a useful player on a cheap contract. Salmons value is as an expiring contract.

Comment

Spoke to someone within the organization who's close to the players and management.

Tyler Hansborough isn't coming back.
                          - whether that means, being waived before 6/29 or getting traded.

Now this is just the person's opinion, because Masai is the guy calling the shots on who stays and goes.
                          Last edited by Fair89; Tue Apr 29, 2014, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Fair89 wrote: View Post
                            Spoke to someone within the organization who's close to the players and management.

Tyler Hansbrough isn't coming back.
                            That would not surprise me in the least. He has not been in Coach Casey's good graces since the injury.

I imagine he will be traded in an effort to move up in the draft, as others have pointed out. The draft is so deep, even in the mid-teens, just a few spots higher, you could land a fine prospect. His contract is very reasonable, and would make a good bargaining chip.

All this, despite Hansbrough's stated preference to remain in Toronto.

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
                              That would not surprise me in the least. He has not been in Coach Casey's good graces since the injury.

I imagine he will be traded in an effort to move up in the draft, as others have pointed out. The draft is so deep, even in the mid-teens, just a few spots higher, you could land a fine prospect. His contract is very reasonable, and would make a good bargaining chip.

All this, despite Hansbrough's stated preference to remain in Toronto.
                              $3+ million reasons to want to come back to Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                              X