No announcement yet.

We The North or We "Are" The North?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By dropping the verb and making just the noun phrase, it's channelling a certain Shakespearean battle speech: "But we in it shall be remembered; We few, We happy few, we band of brothers."

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
      By dropping the verb and making just the noun phrase, it's channelling a certain Shakespeare battle speech: "But we in it shall be remembered; We few, We happy few, we band of brothers."
      Mr. fancy pants here
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

ps77 wrote: View Post
        OKC Thunder has the "We Are Thunder" campaign. The LA Clippers now has the "We Are One" campaign. The Warriors warm-up shirts have "We Are Loud. Proud. Warriors."

Who came up with the "We The North" moniker? Was there a particular reason to drop the "Are"? The "Are" is too long? An attempt to be cool?
        I thought it was all about how fun it is for players to play in Canada. WeeeeeeeeTheNorth!
        There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

reasons:

for hashtag usage it needs to be
          1) short
          2) unique

#wearethenorth looks weird due to vowels overlapping. wethenorth still works in all lowercase which most people will be doing.

Comment

I think Raptors fans should now be known as "Wildlings". I'd say it's quite fitting actually.

Comment

Cuz "We Are The North" ain't gangsta
              OG is our king

Comment

The huge We the North flag with the Crooklyn color scheme was not a good idea after we screwed that up the last time. But its better than your fans screaming "Broooooooklyyyyyn" like its some sort of dis while waving around white towels like they are giving up.

Comment

Pill wrote: View Post
                  The huge We the North flag with the Crooklyn color scheme was not a good idea after we screwed that up the last time. But its better than your fans screaming "Broooooooklyyyyyn" like its some sort of dis while waving around white towels like they are giving up.
                  Yeah the "Brooklyn" chant sounds more like a taunt, like in hockey when fans get into the head of opposing goalies.

Comment

sorry I cant get behind "We the north"
                    proper grammar is important to me
                    also
                    its either old people trying to sound cool or business people trying to exploit a youth demographic and its too disingenuous to me
                    ill stick to plain old "go raptors"

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                      sorry I cant get behind "We the north"
                      proper grammar is important to me
                      also
                      its either old people trying to sound cool or business people trying to exploit a youth demographic and its too disingenuous to me
                      ill stick to plain old "go raptors"
                      Boo! Booooo!

Jesus, you're serious.

I always interpreted it as "We, The North"
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

sadly I am ... sorry I have a differing opinion

I am an old man trapped in a young man's body and just think for ads that get wide circulation grammar should be correct as to not promote improper usage in language

maybe I am a grammar Nazi/snob and should seek help but there it is out there

Comment

sadly I am ... sorry I have a differing opinion

I am an old man trapped in a young man's body and just think for ads that get wide circulation grammar should be correct as to not promote improper usage in language

maybe I am a grammar Nazi/snob and should seek help but there it is out there
                          We, the North, declare war upon the false King Joffrey.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

you may do that if you wish but I am Tywin Lannister
                            and "the rains of Castamere" are playing

Comment

you may do that if you wish but I am Tywin Lannister
                              and "the rains of Castamere" are playing
                              http://youtu.be/YF83d6fQOac?t=45s

Comment

I think We The North comes from Drake. Well, technically it comes from Sid Lee, but really it's a play from Drake's "Best I Ever Had" song.

There's a hook in it that goes: "You the fuckin best, you the fuckin best". On the radio, they changed this annoying song to "You the you the best, you the you the best". Which btw, as corny as it sounds, got me repeating it myself within 2 minutes of hearing this song on the radio.

Similar to "We The North", it could have been "We ARE the north" or the song could have been "You ARE the (fuckin) best", but that doesn't sound as hip and that's what all these hip hopsters are all about -- sounding hip. Am I right?

So that's where We The North comes from. Case closed.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X