No announcement yet.

Vince Carter - Making Things Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it assumed that Vince has to 'make things right'? He did what he did... Lets appreciate his time at the club and focus on the future. The first couple of games where he steps on the court would be epic... but it would disrupt the whole chemistry and ideology that the current group hold.

Comment

ugh, I hope he tears all the ligaments in his knees in game 6 and is forced to retire so I don't have to read the same bullshit from Raps fans about his bitch ass.

Comment

JessJuice wrote: View Post
        Quick question, lets just say Vince does come to play for the raps next year does Amir give up his number to Vince or will Carter have to get a different number coming back to Toronto?
        Carter wears #25 now.

Comment

I've had a change of heart regarding Vince. At first, I was like most, and wanted nothing to do with him.

But from what I've read, heard, seen, I've softened my stance on him, and realized that there are indeed two sides to every story. Vince may have given up on the Raptors, but thanks to Babcock's ineptitude, the Raptors also gave up on Vince. It's just that the fans weren't privy to the latter until very recently.

Emotions aside, we can all agree that Vince coming off the bench, even at 38 years old, would be a significant upgrade to either Salmons or Fields.

In order to win back the majority of the fan base, all Vince would have to say (during his press conference) is, "I should never have left. I love this city and this team", and all will be forgiven.

MLSE doesn't put together a documentary about Carter, unless there's a reason. Have we seen a documentary about Stoudamire, McGrady, Davis or Bosh?

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post
            I think the bigger question is the PR perspective - how would he be welcomed in TO, can he handle the 10min, veteran-off the bench role? I always thought of him as a big ego, something we do not need right now.
            One of the things that has impressed me about Carter has been his willingness to accept a supporting roll and succeed in it. There are so many players who have been in similar situations and couldn't or wouldn't accept it (T-Mac, Allen Iverson, etc.). VC might have carried an ego when he was younger, but he seems to have grown up and matured in a way that is quite difficult for someone who had been as big as he was.

Comment

Carter lost his "ego" the moment he left Toronto. I think playing with Kidd humbled him quite a bit.

Comment

Plenty of VC 15 jerseys around the ACC the other night. I think time is passing. There would be some justice to him coming back here as a back up veteran wing but he is currently playing a starring role on a Dallas team that is going head to head with the Spurs. They might want him back

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
                  Yeah.

They put together a decent cast around him, IMHO at least. Better than a lot of other players have, like LeBron did with the Cavs.

14 Muggsy Bogues PG 5-3 136 January 9, 1965 13 Wake Forest University
                  15 Vince Carter SF 6-6 215 January 26, 1977 2 University of North Carolina
                  1 Chris Childs PG 6-3 195 November 20, 1967 6 Boise State University
                  7 Keon Clark PF 6-11 220 April 16, 1975 2 University of Nevada, Las Vegas
                  23 Tyrone Corbin SF 6-6 210 December 31, 1962 15 DePaul University
                  30 Dell Curry SG 6-4 190 June 25, 1964 14 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
                  9 Kornel David SF 6-9 235 October 22, 1971 2
                  33 Antonio Davis C 6-9 215 October 31, 1968 7 University of Texas at El Paso
                  13 Mark Jackson PG 6-1 180 April 1, 1965 13 St. John's University
                  32 Garth Joseph C 7-2 315 August 8, 1973 R College of Saint Rose
                  00 Eric Montross C 7-0 270 September 23, 1971 6 University of North Carolina
                  3 Tracy Murray SF 6-7 225 July 25, 1971 8 University of California, Los Angeles
                  32 Mamadou N'Diaye C 7-0 255 June 16, 1975 R Auburn University
                  34 Charles Oakley PF 6-8 225 December 18, 1963 15 Virginia Union University
                  24 Morris Peterson SG 6-7 218 August 26, 1977 R Michigan State University
                  4 Michael Stewart C 6-10 230 April 25, 1975 3 University of California
                  20 Alvin Williams SG 6-5 185 August 6, 1974 3 Villanova University
                  13 Jerome Williams PF 6-9 206 May 10, 1973 4 Georgetown University
                  35 Corliss Williamson SF 6-7 245 December 4, 1973 5 University of Arkansas
                  42 Kevin Willis C 7-0 220 September 6, 1962 15 Michigan State University

No my friends...thats the roster from the 2000-01 playoff years...lets look at the roster from the year he was traded..that is not even close to being a contender when we were on the verge of greatness and MLSE screwed it up...this was the year VC requested bring Dr. J in as GM/advisor to rebuild the team & attract FAs...we ended up with Babcock...he requested Raps bring in Steve Nash cause he was on the market and they didn't...Phx did and the rest the history...is what VC asked for unreasonable? just a couple seasons earlier the Raptors were the team of the future and then they became a joke almost overnight...Dr. J & Nash were quite reasonable demands from our "diva" superstar.

No. Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date Exp College
                  11 Rafer Alston PG 6-2 171 July 24, 1976 5 California State University, Fresno
                  55 Rafael Araujo C 6-11 280 August 12, 1980 R Brigham Young University
                  16 Matt Bonner C 6-10 240 April 5, 1980 R University of Florida
                  4 Chris Bosh PF 6-10 228 March 24, 1984 1 Georgia Institute of Technology
                  15 Vince Carter SG 6-6 215 January 26, 1977 6 University of North Carolina
                  1 Omar Cook PG 6-1 190 January 28, 1982 1 St. John's University
                  42 Donyell Marshall PF 6-9 218 May 18, 1973 10 University of Connecticut
                  6 Jerome Moiso C 6-10 235 June 15, 1978 4 University of California, Los Angeles
                  21 Lamond Murray SF 6-7 236 April 20, 1973 9 University of California
                  10 Milt Palacio PG 6-3 195 February 7, 1978 5 Colorado State University
                  24 Morris Peterson SG 6-7 218 August 26, 1977 4 Michigan State University
                  5 Jalen Rose SF 6-8 210 January 30, 1973 10 University of Michigan
                  9 Pape Sow C 6-10 250 November 22, 1981 R California State University, Fullerton
                  34 Aaron Williams C 6-9 220 October 2, 1971 10 Xavier University
                  17 Eric Williams SG 6-8 220 July 17, 1972 9 Providence College
                  3 Loren Woods C 7-1 245 June 21, 1978 3 University of Arizona

Comment

I have crapped all over Vince as a person for many years now, although I have always given his on-court game the respect it deserves. I am starting to come around on the whole issue, not because of the propaganda piece they did on him this season, but for a more personal reason. I remember it was back at the turn of the millennium, I was playing in my senior year at an inner-city school in North York. One night during practice I see Butch Carter walk in to the gym and talked to my coach. Coach tells us that we got tickets to the Raptors game. I thought it was cool; we all had a good time. Gave some poor kids from the hood a chance to watch VC and T-Mac tearing things up(they blew out Orlando that night, as I recall). Then all these years later, I learned that it was Vince Carter that paid for those tickets. It wasn't some team sponsored, go to Sick Kids photo-op, it was just Vince giving back to the community in a real way, and not publicizing it. I am older and wiser now, and I believe that Vince is too. I don't know quite how I would handle things myself if a guy like Rob Babcock was my boss back when I was young and brash. Maybe I can cut him some slack. If he comes back and handles himself professionally, I can live with that. Maybe we can stop booing him.
                    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Shoot, I don't mind Carter anymore. When he hit that 3 for Dallas, I was actually happy for him. But that warm and fuzzy stuff is all secondary. Primarily, showing a willingness to forgive and welcome back players when it doesn't work out the first time around says good things to prospective FA's.
                      @Boymusic66

Comment

Fuck Vince. I'm resigned to the fact he's com in back in Purple next year but I don't like it. This is like hanging a division championship banner, it doesn't mean anything and is celebrating what exactly? 2.5 years of awesome dunks that quickly gave way to indifferent defence and long jumpers? Weak sauce.

That being said he only gets #15 back from Amir for a hefty sum. There will be no "giving". This is gonna be expensive.
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I was and still am a huge Vince Carter fan, but unless somebody convinces me that there aren't other alternatives for backup (and I repeat, backup) role player wings, then I see this as purely a marketing move, which is an unnecessary distraction.

I mean we plucked a guy like Anthony Parker out of Europe and he was terrific, even as a starter. Retread wings like Gerald Green and Mike Miller are having / had outstanding years. Then there are young players with upside who just need a chance (like Dorrell Wright, a few years ago). Honestly, I'd rather bring back Mo Pete as the backup SF, if he can still play and it's all about the 'happy ending'. Oh, I forgot D-Leaguers like Jamario Moon. Backup wings are a dime a dozen.

You know, it's kind of like renting out your basement to your ex-wife, while you're living upstairs with your new family. Why do that, if you've got other options? And it's totally unfair to the new family, too. Too many memories down there. It's a distraction you just don't need AND it is completely avoidable.

Comment

We can tell salmons to gtfo and sign vince carter!

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                              You know, it's kind of like renting out your basement to your ex-wife, while you're living upstairs with your new family. Why do that, if you've got other options? And it's totally unfair to the new family, too. Too many memories down there. It's a distraction you just don't need AND it is completely avoidable.
                              Unless showing kindness to your ex wife makes the absolute bombshell who just got out of a relationship in OKC give more thought to taking you up on a date offer.
                              @Boymusic66

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                                I was and still am a huge Vince Carter fan, but unless somebody convinces me that there aren't other alternatives for backup (and I repeat, backup) role player wings, then I see this as purely a marketing move, which is an unnecessary distraction.

I mean we plucked a guy like Anthony Parker out of Europe and he was terrific, even as a starter. Retread wings like Gerald Green and Mike Miller are having / had outstanding years. Then there are young players with upside who just need a chance (like Dorrell Wright, a few years ago). Honestly, I'd rather bring back Mo Pete as the backup SF, if he can still play and it's all about the 'happy ending'. Oh, I forgot D-Leaguers like Jamario Moon. Backup wings are a dime a dozen.

That being said, Vince Carter is a terrific reserve SG/SF. He is a definite upgrade over Salmons, and his clutch shooting can be very big for us. I can't recall the number of games we lost because we couldn't knock down shots in the last 5 minutes of games. VC does that.

Furthermore, he is wiser now. Had he not grown up, he would not be in the NBA today. Similarly to Iverson's situation, no team would want to have an arrogant veteran player on their roster. He can teach our young players so much about that.

He can teach Derozan and Ross a lot, and honestly, it is actually a welcome distraction. I see it as more of a 'Happily ever after' than anything. Its not just about getting any wing player, its about getting the RIGHT one. We NEED a veteran swingman, and Carter could fill that void tremendously. If it were me, I would make him a reserve, and I would target a younger SG/SF role player via the draft or through Free Agency.

I agree with you. If we can get a better player, than by all means we should. But VC is actually the perfect reserve roll player for this team. It would be foolish to deny this. Remember, he left 10 years ago. If he could get over it, then so can you.
                                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X