Vince Carter - Making Things Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    If you look at Raptors management from when he left until BC can you blame him for leaving.
    Yeah.

They put together a decent cast around him, IMHO at least. Better than a lot of other players have, like LeBron did with the Cavs.

14 Muggsy Bogues PG 5-3 136 January 9, 1965 13 Wake Forest University
    15 Vince Carter SF 6-6 215 January 26, 1977 2 University of North Carolina
    1 Chris Childs PG 6-3 195 November 20, 1967 6 Boise State University
    7 Keon Clark PF 6-11 220 April 16, 1975 2 University of Nevada, Las Vegas
    23 Tyrone Corbin SF 6-6 210 December 31, 1962 15 DePaul University
    30 Dell Curry SG 6-4 190 June 25, 1964 14 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
    9 Kornel David SF 6-9 235 October 22, 1971 2
    33 Antonio Davis C 6-9 215 October 31, 1968 7 University of Texas at El Paso
    13 Mark Jackson PG 6-1 180 April 1, 1965 13 St. John's University
    32 Garth Joseph C 7-2 315 August 8, 1973 R College of Saint Rose
    00 Eric Montross C 7-0 270 September 23, 1971 6 University of North Carolina
    3 Tracy Murray SF 6-7 225 July 25, 1971 8 University of California, Los Angeles
    32 Mamadou N'Diaye C 7-0 255 June 16, 1975 R Auburn University
    34 Charles Oakley PF 6-8 225 December 18, 1963 15 Virginia Union University
    24 Morris Peterson SG 6-7 218 August 26, 1977 R Michigan State University
    4 Michael Stewart C 6-10 230 April 25, 1975 3 University of California
    20 Alvin Williams SG 6-5 185 August 6, 1974 3 Villanova University
    13 Jerome Williams PF 6-9 206 May 10, 1973 4 Georgetown University
    35 Corliss Williamson SF 6-7 245 December 4, 1973 5 University of Arkansas
    42 Kevin Willis C 7-0 220 September 6, 1962 15 Michigan State University

Comment

Salmons almost completely definitely will be gone next year (he has a buyout right?) and Vince would be a good replacement.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
        Salmons almost completely definitely will be gone next year (he has a buyout right?) and Vince would be a good replacement.
        Yes, Salmons is for sure a goner. I don't think he'll be bought-out by us, I think him and TH will be used as trade bait, for a team looking toget under the cap.

Comment

Salmons will most likely be traded to a team that needs cap relief.This is why MU got him as salary filler. He was never meant to be given heavy minutes on the floor.

Comment

Quick question, lets just say Vince does come to play for the raps next year does Amir give up his number to Vince or will Carter have to get a different number coming back to Toronto?

Comment

Probably give it up. If we retire VC number he loses it anyway.If we retire Carter's number can Carter still wear it. Isn't it bush league to retire a players number who is active, especially on your own team?

Comment

i dont think we'd retire it until a couple years after he is retired. and it'd be on amir to give up his number, i think he would out of respect. (vince better buy him something sweet as a big thankyou though loll)

Comment

I thought it was part of the Raptors 20th celebration. If they retire Carter they should retire Lowry

Comment

lol that would be total bush-league if they retire his number while hes still playing. god i hope that doesn't happen

Comment

I wonder if they'll call a timeout

Comment

Even, with Carter saying all the right things like, "It would be a 'yes' before Masai finishes asking the question 'would he like to come back?'" Is suffocatingly cute, enough to make you puke, really. Can't you just dread a Carter signing turning into a Steve Nash, like debacle?

First, he is having a pretty good playoffs in Dallas right now and I think it is more than enough for him to strongly consider returning. If Dallas didn't make the playoffs, then Carter leaving would make a lot more sense. Also, Carter would be our Novak replacement if we manage to trade his contract, not Salmons I hope. Salmons, with his gimpy back is still a better defender than Carter this season. Carter brings mercurial offense and the warm and fuzzies, he shouldn't be our first wing off the bench. Deng, Ariza, Marvin Williams, Tucker no jumpshot-Aminu are all my first choices as better Salmons replacements than Carter.

Maybe, we can entice Livingston to play wing for us and come off the bench, even.
                        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

If that happens then we'll retire an active players number who is on the roster to a chorus of boos.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                            Even, with Carter saying all the right things like, "It would be a 'yes' before Masai finishes asking the question 'would he like to come back?'" Is suffocatingly cute, enough to make you puke, really. Can't you just dread a Carter signing turning into a Steve Nash, like debacle?

First, he is having a pretty good playoffs in Dallas right now and I think it is more than enough for him to strongly consider returning. If Dallas didn't make the playoffs, then Carter leaving would make a lot more sense. Also, Carter would be our Novak replacement if we manage to trade his contract, not Salmons I hope. Salmons, with his gimpy back is still a better defender than Carter this season. Carter brings mercurial offense and the warm and fuzzies, he shouldn't be our first wing off the bench. Deng, Ariza, Marvin Williams, Tucker no jumpshot-Aminu are all my first choices as better Salmons replacements than Carter.

Maybe, we can entice Livingston to play wing for us and come off the bench, even.
                            You're all over the place here.
                            First off, Carter isn't signing for 3 years $30 million, so he isn't Nash like in any regard. He'll probably sign for around $2M per year.
                            Secondly, Carter has played way better than Salmons this year, and every year ever. Forget your replacing Novak nonsense.
                            Thirdly, your free agent wish list is either guys significantly more expensive than Carter or worse than him.
                            Lastly, if we bring in Livingston it's to replace Vasquez, not as a backup SF.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              You're all over the place here.
                              First off, Carter isn't signing for 3 years $30 million, so he isn't Nash like in any regard. He'll probably sign for around $2M per year.
                              Secondly, Carter has played way better than Salmons this year, and every year ever. Forget your replacing Novak nonsense.
                              Thirdly, your free agent wish list is either guys significantly more expensive than Carter or worse than him.
                              Lastly, if we bring in Livingston it's to replace Vasquez, not as a backup SF.
                              It's not just the potential size of the contract is why I am drawing parallels to Nash, but maybe with his play this post-season there'd be an actual bidding war for Carters' services, which Toronto should want no part of. It's going after him for the wrong reasons, Nash was relatively healthy for his age and his gimpy back in his last year in Phoenix was holding up well, so going after a two time MVP seemed like an obvious basketball decision, but it wasn't and thankfully the Lakers got him instead of us. Even if we signed Carter to something like 3 years 4.5 mill/year, basically, Kleiza or Novak money and Carter's injury history rears its ugly head again, it would be a mistake. I think Masai is intelligent enough, to make only basketball decisions, not emotional ones, but the fear of handing out a bad contract is there.

There is a reason, I compare Carter to Novak instead of Salmons, its defense. Carter makes Paul Pierce look fast. If Novak isn't getting playing timing, because of his poor defense. Casey would look like a terrible coach and a hypocrite, if he goes and plays Carter next year instead. Carter hasn't been an average defender for his position, since he left Jersey.

And for Salmons replacement his cap hit I believe is 7.8 million next year. I am positive we can find an upgrade for less than that.

Livingston, is Brooklyn's number one off-season priority, but do they even have a mid-level to offer him? Even if Pierce doesn't re-sign I believe they are still capped out. Could Livingston, be a possible replacement for Vasquez? Sure, but he is playing as Brooklyn's starting shooting-guard as well as their back-up point-guard. If Vasquez and Lowry can be in a backcourt together and Livingston and Williams in the same backcourt in Brooklyn. There is no reason for Livingston, to be pigeon holed into a back-up point guard position, when he has no problem playing with other point-guards. He can handle the ball and play off the ball, as well.
                              Last edited by Raptorsss; Fri May 2, 2014, 01:56 AM.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                                It's not just the potential size of the contract is why I am drawing parallels to Nash, but maybe with his play this post-season there'd be an actual bidding war for Carters' services, which Toronto should want no part of. It's going after him for the wrong reasons, Nash was relatively healthy for his age and his gimpy back in his last year in Phoenix was holding up well, so going after a two time MVP seemed like an obvious basketball decision, but it wasn't and thankfully the Lakers got him instead of us. Even if we signed Carter to something like 3 years 4.5 mill/year, basically, Kleiza or Novak money and Carter's injury history rears its ugly head again, it would be a mistake. I think Masai is intelligent enough, to make only basketball decisions, not emotional ones, but the fear of handing out a bad contract is there.
                                There is no doubt Vince is from a player standpoint a no-brainer @ 2mil/yr considering his ability and the injury/age risks. I think the bigger question is the PR perspective - how would he be welcomed in TO, can he handle the 10min, veteran-off the bench role? I always thought of him as a big ego, something we do not need right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X