This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions About the Future

Whether or not Chris Bosh wants to be here is a debate on to it's own but we won't go there here. Let's just assume what the majority of this board seems to be assuming, Chris Bosh is leaving the Raptors. If you don't want to assume it, then pretend for the sake of this thread.

Question: Where do you want the team to go now?
    A.) Charge ahead and make what we have work.
    B.) Tear it down and rebuild because the cornerstone is gone.
    C.) Start paying more attention to hockey......Wait, things aren't that dire yet.
    D.) Other. Please Explain.

Question: We need to decide if we're going to be a player in the Chris Bosh move. How do we play the game?
    A.) Try and get a young player back who is at or has the potential of reaching star status.
    B.) Focus on packaging a bad contract with Bosh, such as the Hedo Turkoglu contract.
    C.) Have a willingness to take back money if its expiring contracts, but demand draft picks. Collect as many as you can squeeze out.
    D.) Other. Please explain.

The first three things that the Raptors need to do not necessarily in this order.

Get rid of

1. Bargnani
    2. Calderon
    3. Turkoglu

Getting rid of all three would be optimal. Two next best and getting rid of only one the least best.

It doesn't even matter who the Raptors get in return as long as they can clear some cap space and maybe get some lottery picks.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Who wants Hedo Turkoglu at that price?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        probably Washington if we agree to swallow agent zero megadeal.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          I would think that some team in Europe or Turkey (Europe/Asia) would love to have him on a contract buy out.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Who is going to pay $40M to get Hedo out of his contract? They then have to turn around and pay him dozens more in a contract. The Raptors are still on the hook for the cap space even if they're not paying him and so competitively, they're no better off.

Hotshot wrote: View Post
            probably Washington if we agree to swallow agent zero megadeal.
            That's an idea. Bring in someone who's a lot better, younger and would help the team far more. No doubt Gil is going for bargain basement prices right now.

Comment

Bosh s&t idea.... If the Nets get the #1 pick and are looking to move Harris (to make room for John Wall):
              CB4 for Harris + some combo of Yi, Lee & picks...
              Then we could dump Jose or Jack for something useful somewhere else, have good young players with affordable contracts...

Just thinking out loud & still holding out hope for the future...

Comment

Gats wrote: View Post
                Bosh s&t idea.... If the Nets get the #1 pick and are looking to move Harris (to make room for John Wall):
                Bosh has been on record saying he would not consider NJ. He has quite a bit of leverage to determine where he goes if he chooses to leave. Yes he may lose the absolute max. but Toronto also runs the risk of not getting anything if the move is not coordinated.

But there are pieces there that could be attractive as you pointed.

Comment

If he leaves Toronto he's going to want to go play for a team that gives him a chance at a title. Miami would be a logical place. Not sure why he would want to play for the Nets. If he's not interested then he doesn't sign and then there's no deal.

Comment

bosh to new york for david lee, t-mac(if he has a reasonable short term contract), and galinarri or wil chandler, and cash considerations(so bryan can hit up a high class gentlemen's club).
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

What's the best player anyone has ever received in a sign and trade?

These delusions of getting anyone other than a draft pick or a young throw in seem farfetched.

Going to NJ really wouldn't be that bad. They have a couple good pieces in Harris and Lopez, are probably getting a top two pick, have cap space to sign a top guy and are moving to brooklyn in two years. Its not a bad place to be the new face.

The problem isn't Turk, Jose or Bargs. Separately I think they all could be vital cogs in a championship team and I think other GM's recognize that. I think there are some GM's who might talk themselves into trading for Turk since his value is low right now. No contract is immovable in todays NBA, except for maybe the immovable Eddy Curry.

Ultimately Bosh holds all the cards. He can decide to stay, leave or leave with strings attached. Sadly were all hostages as he negotiates whats best for Bosh. I think its down to NYC, Miami or Chi town. I hope he goes and plays with Bron in NYC, I couldn't hate him for that. My bet is a sign and trade with the bulls where we get Taj Gibson back.

Comment

Here's the kind of thing to expect:
                        Posted: Aug. 19, 2005
                        The Phoenix Suns today completed a sign-and-trade deal with the Atlanta Hawks that will send restricted free-agent guard Joe Johnson to Atlanta in exchange for guard/forward Boris Diaw (pronounced DEE-ow) and two future first-round draft picks. This trade also leaves Phoenix with a $6 million trade exception for their use in future dealings.
                        NBA.com

Comment

^ Ugh. God I hope that isn't the case for us now.

Comment

Well keep in mind that then Joe Johnson was not a star, just a young up and coming player. Bosh is a top five talent. He will have a lot of teams bidding for him as a franchise changer. They're going to offer more. What if the Knicks offered Lee and two 1st rounders via a third team? Or is the Lakers offered Bynum in a deal similar to the Knicks deal?

Comment

That is a good example, but I'm still sketchy on how the process will work.

Bosh will give a list of teams he's willing to go to and then those teams make offers and the raps decide which one is the best?

With the Joe Johnson scenario, I don't think a lot of teams were bidding to pay him that kind of money.

Who has all the power once Bosh agrees to a sign and trade? Is it possible to get Chicago, New York and Miami in a bidding war?

This is Colangelo's legacy with the raptors, if he can turn Bosh into a couple pieces to kickstart the rebuilding process, I think he might be able to prolong his execution a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X