Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Why the Raps are struggling

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Why the Raps are struggling

    It has nothing to do with the officiating.

    It has little to do with the coaching (can't say nothing).

    It has everything to do with match ups.

    Ross has a negative PER and winshares for the series. I don't think we need to look into any further metrics to determine that he's been awful, the eye test does that for us. Salmons hasn't been much better. Neither of them can guard Joe Johnson, but Casey literally doesn't have anyone else to throw on him with Fields out (aside from DD, who is getting abused when tasked with Johnson). In a close series between evenly matched teams, one matchup is enough to swing a series (Houston's inability to deal with Aldridge without killing their offense by playing Asik is a perfect example).

    In contrast, the Raps have been completely unable to take advantage of the Nets playing small because their PFs can't post up effectively. Ditto Jonas with the Nets' bigs, though this is a baffling combination of coach, players and foul trouble conspiring to keep the ball out of his hands.

    In other words, the Nets have been able to successfully exploit their matchup advantages while the Raps have not. You can blame that on coaching if you like, but that's not going to make Terrence Ross taller or suddenly give Amir a strong post game.

    It's often said that in the NBA, the team with the best player in the series usually moves on. Well, as much as Raps fans don't want to hear it, Joe Johnson has been the best player in the series, and it's due entirely to matchups. And if he's the best player on the floor in game 7, the Raps are going to be in serious trouble.

  2. Like 3inthekeon liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I still don't understand why Fields is not getting significant minutes guarding JJ.

  4. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Landry is not playing because Casey is a terrible coach.Its also why PPat not starting over Amir and why Jonas sits third Quarters.My question is why Casey is using essentially regular season rotations in the playoffs. Our starters are young yet play fewer minutes than Nets players

  5. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They're struggling because they are short players.

    The Raps have no real option at SF who can keep defenses honest and defend. Fields is HURT. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? And even if he wasn't AS hurt. He isn't a defensive threat.

    They also lack a true backup C. They have an advantage when Jonas is on the court, but when he gets in foul trouble, or needs a break there's nothing on the bench that can serve as an adequate replacement for him.

    LOTS OF people throwing out the baby with the bath water here recently. Blaming players and the coach for personnel issues while conveniently forgetting that the Raps are a rebuilding squad. To my count they have 7 players and a bunch of bodies. This team will improve by filling the 2 most obvious holes and maturing together. Enough with the fictional apocalypse already...lmao

  6. Like RPT23, Jamshid, Letter N, planetmars liked this post
  7. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,946
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    They're struggling because they are short players.

    The Raps have no real option at SF who can keep defenses honest and defend. Fields is HURT. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? And even if he wasn't AS hurt. He isn't a defensive threat.

    They also lack a true backup C. They have an advantage when Jonas is on the court, but when he gets in foul trouble, or needs a break there's nothing on the bench that can serve as an adequate replacement for him.

    LOTS OF people throwing out the baby with the bath water here recently. Blaming players and the coach for personnel issues while conveniently forgetting that the Raps are a rebuilding squad. To my count they have 7 players and a bunch of bodies. This team will improve by filling the 2 most obvious holes and maturing together. Enough with the fictional apocalypse already...lmao
    Well said.

  8. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I still don't understand why Fields is not getting significant minutes guarding JJ.
    Is he healthy enough? He's got the nerve issues. He also had back spasms.

  9. Like chch166 liked this post
  10. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It feels like its Raptors vs Casey.

  11. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter Just Is's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    223
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Is he healthy enough? He's got the nerve issues. He also had back spasms.
    Other than Game 1 and 4, he`s been dressed. So its not a health issue it seems. At least, not enough of one to be placed on the inactive roster.

  12. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    They're struggling because they are short players.

    The Raps have no real option at SF who can keep defenses honest and defend. Fields is HURT. CAN'T YOU SEE THAT? And even if he wasn't AS hurt. He isn't a defensive threat.
    That's exactly what I mean, these are match up issues caused by roster inadequacies. There isn't a damn thing Casey can do to make Fields healthy or restore his jump shot. He can't pull a backup centre out of his ass and he can't give Amir a post game. And yet so many fire Casey threads, so much doom and gloom. To me it's amazing that they've hung in there and won 3 games despite the fact that the Nets have significant roster/match up advantages.

    edit: Just wanted to add as an example that if the Raps had a guy like Kirilenko, who is languishing away on the Nets' bench, he'd be getting 30+ mins a game for us.
    Last edited by Lark Benson; Sat May 3rd, 2014 at 07:29 PM.

  13. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Every team has weaknesses. BKN has no interior nobody notices because Casey doesn't exploit. We have no SF its a glaring weakness because Kidd attacks it.

  14. Like Just Is, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  15. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    matchups or not, there is literally no ball movement at all. game 6 was probably the most evident of the series with DD hoisting up tough shots over and over in the FIRST quarter. this has been apparent throughout the first 5 games too. it almost seems like we rely more on brooklyn missing the basket than actual good plays being run.

  16. Like S.R. liked this post
  17. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,707
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Its not rocket science. Only 3-4 players have showed up...... the rest are failing miserably.


    just average showings from Ross, Patterson, Novak, and Salmons and this series is already over.

  18. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Every team has weaknesses. BKN has no interior nobody notices because Casey doesn't exploit. We have no SF its a glaring weakness because Kidd attacks it.
    How are you going to exploit it? Amir and Patterson have zero post games, and aren't heavy enough to simply back Pierece down into layup range. Agree they aren't taking advantage of JV enough, but the Nets figured out in game 3 that they could just shade him left and he becomes a turnover waiting to happen.

  19. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,707
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not really.

    The nets aren't "gaming" (hahah love it) for JV. They havent had to. Out side 2 guys, toronto has zero outside presence right now, like nothing.....start there bud, thats where your answers will be. Think, slight rotation and close out, instead of double and chase to fill holes.

  20. Like Just Is, MACK11, OldSkoolCool liked this post
  21. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    Not really.

    The nets aren't "gaming" (hahah love it) for JV. They havent had to. Out side 2 guys, toronto has zero outside presence right now, like nothing.....start there bud, thats where your answers will be. Think, slight rotation and close out, instead of double and chase to fill holes.
    Soooooo think about how the matchups are determining the series and not the officiating, etc? Pretty sure that's why I started this thread....

  22. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,184
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Amir has no post game but Pattereson has some and so does Hands not great but enough to bother Pierce.

  23. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter 3inthekeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    It feels like its Raptors vs Casey.
    More like not-quite-as-knowledgeable-as-they-think posters vs Casey.

  24. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    2,707
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Soooooo think about how the matchups are determining the series and not the officiating, etc? Pretty sure that's why I started this thread....
    I dont care how you started it, thats how im ending it. Im no teven arguing you fuck, I'm just changing the view slightly, stop being so effing snippy.

  25. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    724
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    matchups or not, there is literally no ball movement at all. game 6 was probably the most evident of the series with DD hoisting up tough shots over and over in the FIRST quarter. this has been apparent throughout the first 5 games too. it almost seems like we rely more on brooklyn missing the basket than actual good plays being run.
    I hate the way Lowry and DD go one-on-one on so many possessions, at times without even making a single pass. They're both playing really well, but at the same time we all know that the Raps as a team are much, much more successful when the ball moves and you get open shots for the role players. I'd rather see PP shoot an open three after 4 passes than watch DeMar launch an off balance floater against a double team, even if DeMar makes the shot and ends up with 30 points. The Raps win when they play team ball at the offensive end - it's as simple as that.

  26. Like OldSkoolCool, Puffer, Superjudge liked this post
  27. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    I dont care how you started it, thats how im ending it. Im no teven arguing you fuck, I'm just changing the view slightly, stop being so effing snippy.
    You told me to fuck off in another thread, then just called me a fuck again. Who's snippy? ROFL.

    But I guess you've learned to play it like KG, huh? Initiate the contact, then throw your arms up and pretend you had nothing to do with it.

  28. Like Superjudge liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •