Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time of the Year to evaluate these players ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our future is looking incredibly bright.

Lowry- I'm sorry, but we gotta resign him. Contributes far beyond the stat sheet. 48 million for 4 years sounds reasonable.
    Derozan- Getting better every game. All Star with more growth to come. Great Work ethic.
    Ross- Still growing, may need to look into upgrade, perhaps bring in VC to mentor him.
    Johnson- Love this guy, great heart and passion, find an upgrade and make him backup, or could use him as a glue guy in our lineup.
    JV- Lots of growing to do, great potential. Needs to be more assertive.
    2Pat- Love this guy. Resign him
    Vasquez- Resign him
    Casey- Tough to decide. On the one hand his coaching has been suspect. He couldn't figure out how to stop Joe, and his end of game execution is shit. On the other hand his players have all bought into his system.

Ujiri will figure it out. Time to look towards nabbing an all star free agent in summer 2014 or 2015.

Comment

Can we merge these two threads, it is almost the same topic:
      http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-these-players

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
        They are not couple of tweaks away !!! They have major holes in SF, PF and back up Centre. Lets not kid ourselves here. MU has a tough summer ahead of himself and brining role players is not the answer anymore.

He needs to find a legitimate starting PF ... As TSF said earlier, Amir and Patterson are great 6th man off the bench but that is all they are ...

SF is a Key ... Can he fix it by brining a star ...

How about back up C and also Lowry's contract and he has to do all that while keeping financial flexibility for 2016 to bring a real SUPER STAR to this team.

I will be happy if he take care of Lowry, PF and Back up centre this year and leave the SF position and the money for 2016 to bring the SUPER STAR for that position.

Draft is another key move this summer. We are now darting in late first round and it is hard to get a talent there. You need to do your homework.

As I said, we are far away from few tweaks here ... MU moved AB and Gay in 2 good move this season but took a NICE, RELAXING break the rest of the year to " Evaluate" this team and enjoyed the support of the excited fan base.

It is NOW time for him to go to work.
        As much as I love the team, and these are some of my favorite players, Ross+Amir/Patterson+20th+Knicks Pick for Mayo+1st, Richardson+1st, or any combination of Vasquez/Ross/Patterson for Nelson+1st are all trades that need to be looked at.
        @Boymusic66

Comment

First Fire Casey

Ross needs to be our starting SG.It'll be a struggle but going 82 games with the ball will make him better.
          Demar needs to be the SF. Defensive issues but he is already a 3 offensively needs a post up game.

Vasquez is great but hurts the development of Ross and Demar. We need to win with them not GV.

A backup Center.Val needs to be able to foul out of games. Sitting out games with 4 fouls does nothing good.

Finally Fire Casey again

Comment

I will not fire Casey, unless I am sure we will get guys in the same caliber of JVG !!! If we can get a seasoned Head coach with wining record in this league and a defensive minded one, then fire Casey ... Otherwise, I am not about to fire this coach who improved our defence from last in the league for another new inexperience young head coach or some washed up old guy with no desire to push the young guys.

So everyone, before suggesting to fire Casey, think who will we get ... Another Jay Triano or Sam Mitchell or ... Butch Carter ...

Comment

The only growth i'd like to see out of Derozan moving forward is defensively.. His defense in this series was pitiful. Vasquez played better D on JJ!

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                So everyone, before suggesting to fire Casey, think who will we get ... Another Jay Triano or Sam Mitchell or ... Butch Carter ...
                I actually wouldn't mind a former COY who had two straight playoff campaigns and probably would have had a third if he had not been fired. I do agree about Casey though. A 2-year with option would be perfect.
                @Boymusic66

Comment

I'm so excited about this team going forward. Just think if we can replace TH, salmons, chuck and Landry with some useful pieces. I know DD is going to improve and so will TRoss so that's like 2 new players. Ppat is a stud. Need some size at the 3. Masai is going to be real busy and I have no idea what to expect from him. This summer is going to be as exciting as we've seen. Game on!
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    First Fire Casey
                    Demar needs to be the SF. Defensive issues but he is already a 3 offensively needs a post up game.
                    Sorry man, just do not see it. DD has trouble defending the SGs in this league (btw the weakest position in the NBA), so how do you figure he would do against the SF's which are much stronger then him (not to mention SF is prolly the deepest position after PG in the NBA)? His potential playoff matchups would include the likes of Durant, LBJ, George, Iggy, Parsons, Deng, Pierce and Leonard. And as much as I love DD, there is no way he can defend any of them in single coverage.

Comment

Math time:

The Raps' total salary (assuming all options exercised) for 2014-15 is $51.3 million - before signing Kyle, 2Pat, Grievis or Nando. The 2014-15 cap is projected to be 63.2 million. The luxury tax threshold is projected to be $77m. Dropping Salmons and Psycho T's contracts for $1m apiece drops the Raps to $43.2m in salary for 2014-15 - or exactly $20m in room before hitting the cap.

Assume Lowry, Greivis and 2Pat can all be signed for that $20m. Combined, the three of them will probably go for somewhere in between 16 and 22 million. And that takes us up to the cap with a roster of

Kyle
                      DeMar
                      Amir
                      Jonas
                      TRoss
                      2Pat
                      Vasquez
                      Landry
                      Chuck
                      Novak
                      Buycks
                      Stone

We have essentially another $14m of room after that before we're in the tax. Exceptions to the salary cap, for us, are as follows:

1. Lowry, 2Pat and Greivis' Bird rights (if we sign them at the right time, strategically speaking).
                      2. Any first-round draft picks' contracts.
                      3. The mid-level exception, which will probably be for one contract less than $5.3 million.
                      3. The bi-annual exception, which we didn't use last year and is therefore available to us - which will be for one contract less than $2.2 million.

Our biggest needs:

1. Bench scoring
                      2. A quality wing defender who has the size to play small forward
                      3. A fourth solid big

Free agents who might potentially address these needs and be available for an exception-sized contract:

Alan Anderson
                      Al-Farouq Aminu
                      Ed Davis
                      Emeka Okafor
                      Patty Mills
                      Shaun Livingston
                      Vince Carter

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                        I'm so excited about this team going forward. Just think if we can replace TH, salmons, chuck and Landry with some useful pieces. I know DD is going to improve and so will TRoss so that's like 2 new players. Ppat is a stud. Need some size at the 3. Masai is going to be real busy and I have no idea what to expect from him. This summer is going to be as exciting as we've seen. Game on!
                        You know whose available at the 3, has shown potential, and is on a team that could absolutely use a good backup point guard, who has exceptional P&R instincts and can help space the floor? Harrison Barnes!
                        @Boymusic66

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                          You know whose available at the 3, has shown potential, and is on a team that could absolutely use a good backup point guard, who has exceptional P&R instincts and can help space the floor? Harrison Barnes!
                          That is a great idea. I do think Barns will be available this summer and maybe we can do a Ross for Barns trade !!! I think that is fair to both teams ... GSW can really use a guy like Ross behind Thompson and we can really use a guy like Barns in the SF position. The move is low risk for both teams and both will get a young talents who had a very disappointing play offs performances.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                            Math time:

The Raps' total salary (assuming all options exercised) for 2014-15 is $51.3 million - before signing Kyle, 2Pat, Grievis or Nando. The 2014-15 cap is projected to be 63.2 million. The luxury tax threshold is projected to be $77m. Dropping Salmons and Psycho T's contracts for $1m apiece drops the Raps to $43.2m in salary for 2014-15 - or exactly $20m in room before hitting the cap.

Assume Lowry, Greivis and 2Pat can all be signed for that $20m. Combined, the three of them will probably go for somewhere in between 16 and 22 million. And that takes us up to the cap with a roster of

Kyle
                            DeMar
                            Amir
                            Jonas
                            TRoss
                            2Pat
                            Vasquez
                            Landry
                            Chuck
                            Novak
                            Buycks
                            Stone

We have essentially another $14m of room after that before we're in the tax. Exceptions to the salary cap, for us, are as follows:

1. Lowry, 2Pat and Greivis' Bird rights (if we sign them at the right time, strategically speaking).
                            2. Any first-round draft picks' contracts.
                            3. The mid-level exception, which will probably be for one contract less than $5.3 million.
                            3. The bi-annual exception, which we didn't use last year and is therefore available to us - which will be for one contract less than $2.2 million.

Our biggest needs:

1. Bench scoring
                            2. A quality wing defender who has the size to play small forward
                            3. A fourth solid big

Free agents who might potentially address these needs and be available for an exception-sized contract:

Alan Anderson
                            Al-Farouq Aminu
                            Ed Davis
                            Emeka Okafor
                            Patty Mills
                            Shaun Livingston
                            Vince Carter
                            I'd like to add

PJ Tucker
                            Trevor Ariza

I'd like to avoid Ed Davis (can't play C).

If Okafor is over his injury, he'd be my main target as a backup C. If Amir and 2Pat are both still around, getting a more PF player like Davis seems like poor roster construction. Need a guy who can legitimately play C.

Comment

^^^ None of those FAs except for Livingston are worth spending money on ... We need a legitimate SF, PG and back up PG. Fix 2 of them next season and the third in 2016 by signing a super star ...

Yes, it is tough and it will need some thinking but this is why MU gets paid millions and has all that support staff.

Comment

I wish I could be in MU's head. I'm nervous about this offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X