Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Small Forward and Backup Center + Vince

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    Deng to Indiana with Lance having priced himself out of under-tax status and driving his teammates insane?
    Indiana doesn't have any cap space. Literally less than none, they are over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Indiana doesn't have any cap space. Literally less than none, they are over.
    They could make it work if Deng isn't too expensive. Turning down giving a QO to Turner puts them at 57 million. They can fit a 6 million deal in there.
    @Boymusic66

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TSF wrote: View Post
    They could make it work if Deng isn't too expensive. Turning down giving a QO to Turner puts them at 57 million. They can fit a 6 million deal in there.
    What was the number Deng was unhappy with in Chicago rumours? I can't remember, so I'm really asking, but I feel like it was 3 years, $30 million....He's not taking 6 million.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm of the mind that Thaddeus Young would be a great fit here. He's a better fit than Tony Allen because unlike Allen, Thad isn't an offensive liability. He has range, he can play both forward spots, and he's long enough to be a mismatch for other SF's in the East.

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    What was the number Deng was unhappy with in Chicago rumours? I can't remember, so I'm really asking, but I feel like it was 3 years, $30 million....He's not taking 6 million.
    It was more money per year like 12mill or so which was way to much for him at this stage of his career
    He's 2 years away from being 2 years away, but his wingspan is already here .

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MB_Corner3 wrote: View Post
    I'm of the mind that Thaddeus Young would be a great fit here. He's a better fit than Tony Allen because unlike Allen, Thad isn't an offensive liability. He has range, he can play both forward spots, and he's long enough to be a mismatch for other SF's in the East.
    Thad does not have reliable range. He can hit shots, but he's not a shooter. A starting lineup with him, DeMar, JV and Amir is a nightmare for spacing. Absolute nightmare.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MB_Corner3 wrote: View Post
    Whenever this guy plays against Toronto he looks like a superstar. We should acquire all players that go off against Toronto just to eliminate the chance of it occurring ever again. Gerald Henderson, Jamal Crawford, we want you
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I got to say, I didn't think Vince's game would age this well. He's obviously lost a bit of his speed and athleticism but he's still big and strong enough to get in the lane. And his effort on defense is much higher since he's not the primary option on offense.

http://youtu.be/7qseR8s1Hl4

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

He's lasted this long because he's never really played true defense. You know, playing ball without whining like a little b*tch.

10. Like Miekenstien liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see Demar and Ross being successful as a wing pairing in the post season as neither will be able to handle the larger SFs. BUT if you bring in a true small forward, can you relegate Ross to the bench? Will he be happy with that? Won't that automatically reduce his value, similar to the situation in Golden State with the Iggy signing reducing Barnes value?

I think you either trade Ross or Demar in anticipation of bringing that small forward on

OR

You draft a natural SF. That way you can start Demar and Ross together with your Rookie coming off the bench. Hopefully, by the time the playoffs roll around your rookie can fill in the Salmons/Fields role in the playoffs. Also, by coming off the bench if the rookie supplants one of the starters, then he's earned it.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter bryan colangelo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote drunkmunky wrote: View Post
    He's lasted this long because he's never really played true defense. You know, playing ball without whining like a little b*tch.
    It's been ten years. Sometimes Raptor fans are the whiniest, littlest bitches of them all.

13. Like TRex liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    we can get the SF through trade.

Send Ross, Fields and a pick to Boston for Jeff Green
    we can go over the cap to extend or resign Lowry, Vasquez, Nando, 2Pat
    sign and trade for Vince. (Hansbrough matches what he would likely ask for)

Fields is an expiring this year and could be used as trade filler finally.

We have options

roughly 30 million in expiring quality players, several picks a TPE and some other exceptions available to us.

The mechanisms exist to drastically improve
    Mother of treadmill.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Have people on this forum not learned anything from the Colangelo deals?

Multi-year offer to a 30 year old Luol Deng?
    Trading away Ross and other assets for Jeff Green and the 9M per year he's owed?

These are low-quality, win-now moves that lock us into being a 2nd round at best team for the foreseeable future. Not to mention the fact that Jeff Green and Deng are both overrated as hell. Both are below average efficiency shooters (Green - 52% TS, Deng - 51.7% TS) for starters; hell Deng shoots it worse than DeRozan. Additionally both of them have ZERO upside, and are not going to get better at this stage of their careers.

Makes zero sense to take on any long-term salary if that player is not a star, DeRozan and Lowry are already going to cost us upwards of 20M between them and we have Jonas to re-sign (probably for a high price) in 2016. We need to maintain flexibility.

If Deng wants to take a 1 year deal or 2 years with a team option, I'm down. Anything else and he can go to hell.

There are only a few players available in free agency that it makes any sense to throw long-term money at: LeBron and Melo are the obvious ones, then you have guys like Hayward and Greg Monroe that could be worth a long-term deal if the price is right and Ujiri feels like they fit in nicely.

16. Like BigCamB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Have people on this forum not learned anything from the Colangelo deals?

Multi-year offer to a 30 year old Luol Deng?
    Trading away Ross and other assets for Jeff Green and the 9M per year he's owed?

These are low-quality, win-now moves that lock us into being a 2nd round at best team for the foreseeable future. Not to mention the fact that Jeff Green and Deng are both overrated as hell. Both are below average efficiency shooters (Green - 52% TS, Deng - 51.7% TS) for starters; hell Deng shoots it worse than DeRozan. Additionally both of them have ZERO upside, and are not going to get better at this stage of their careers.

Makes zero sense to take on any long-term salary if that player is not a star, DeRozan and Lowry are already going to cost us upwards of 20M between them and we have Jonas to re-sign (probably for a high price) in 2016. We need to maintain flexibility.

If Deng wants to take a 1 year deal or 2 years with a team option, I'm down. Anything else and he can go to hell.

There are only a few players available in free agency that it makes any sense to throw long-term money at: LeBron and Melo are the obvious ones, then you have guys like Hayward and Greg Monroe that could be worth a long-term deal if the price is right and Ujiri feels like they fit in nicely.
    This. We should not give someone a big long term deal unless they are a proven star, or someone with a very good amount of potential left.

We should also not sign vets long term and for too much (ala Colangelo)
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we have to worry about MU and long term vet deals.

He likes to bring Vets in, but on 1-2 year contracts, and typically on the lower end of things.

19. Like imanshumpert liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phiLLy wrote: View Post
    I don't think we have to worry about MU and long term vet deals.

He likes to bring Vets in, but on 1-2 year contracts, and typically on the lower end of things.
    I'm not worried about Ujiri. Just shocked at the suggestions of some posters... were people not around during the BC era?

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
    This. We should not give someone a big long term deal unless they are a proven star, or someone with a very good amount of potential left.

We should also not sign vets long term and for too much (ala Colangelo)
    Colangelo would probably resign salmons for another 10 years
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Colangelo would probably resign salmons for another 10 years
    All guaranteed, and if he retires it turns into 1M for the next 15 years.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    I don't see Demar and Ross being successful as a wing pairing in the post season as neither will be able to handle the larger SFs. BUT if you bring in a true small forward, can you relegate Ross to the bench? Will he be happy with that? Won't that automatically reduce his value, similar to the situation in Golden State with the Iggy signing reducing Barnes value?

I think you either trade Ross or Demar in anticipation of bringing that small forward on

OR

You draft a natural SF. That way you can start Demar and Ross together with your Rookie coming off the bench. Hopefully, by the time the playoffs roll around your rookie can fill in the Salmons/Fields role in the playoffs. Also, by coming off the bench if the rookie supplants one of the starters, then he's earned it.
    It could reduce Ross's value, or it could raise it, making him the spark off the bench who can score in bunches, a true 6th man, while playing alongside GV, who is a playmaker and can create for and find open teammates (open 3s) and Patterson, who will space the floor and create driving lanes and back door opportunities.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

24. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    I'm not worried about Ujiri. Just shocked at the suggestions of some posters... were people not around during the BC era?
    They were, that's why they're so used to thinking they way they are. Mortgage away our future to get a few percentage points better.
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information